Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Administrator
6,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What if manufacturers replaced their spring style arrow retention spring with something like a whisker bisket that you could shoot through? A lot of the noise a crossbow makes comes from the arrow retention spring, a style like the bisket could cut some of the noise. Just a thought. Also, just like drop away arrow rests for compounds, what if they had a retention system that would raise after the trigger was pulled? It could be more rigid and eliminate the noise that is so accustom to the spring. When the arrow would is inserted, it would lower onto the arrow holding it in place. Kind of a reverse of the anti dry fire mechanism that TenPoint has.

·
211 Posts
when I first got my crossbow thats actually one of the first things I wondered about, in fact one of my first posts on hunting.net was in regaurd to adding a whisker biscuit to the front of the crossbow(in combination with the retaining arm) to help hold the arrow in place and eliminate vibration, the general consensus I got was that it wasnt needed and although I agree that it isnt I still wonder if adding one wouldnt have some benefit... one thing I've noticed is that it doesnt take much of a jar or impact to get a very load vibration from the arrow/deck, just slightly snagging the end of the arrow on a limb ect, or even a mild slap of your hand on the bow is enough to cause it and I still wonder if an extra whisker rest down by the limbs would eliminate that, or if there would be side effects to using an extra rest(accuracy loss) that would be bad enough to override the benefits...

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Thats a good thought. I just bought 10 more whisker biscuits for my vertical fishing bows last week. Now, I'll be looking at that myself. They are the best for the guide service bows that different people shoot since they hold the arrow in place very well and allows straight down shots from the boat. THanks for sharing!

·
1,222 Posts
Jeeze...I should be a Horton rep....

The reCon spring is both coated in a rubber type material...and, it has minimum load on the arrow.
One of the things I dont hear on this bow at all...is the arrow retention spring.

The light spring load is enough to hold the arrow in place while pointed down, but I doubt the arrow would stay in place if the bow was bumped hard in the down ward direction. BUT...that can be adjusted and still keep minimum spring load.

That's one thing about my Darton Fireforce, the spring twangs notably. Not as hard mind you as the Stryker though.
But in all fairness...the Fireforce spring is easilly adjustable...just haven't done it!!

Mike

·
310 Posts
Arrow retension, and you....

Mike,
Thanks for the reply. You should be one of our reps.
Do not let the spring tension get too light.
The retension spring is coated to silence the vibration.

All,
Believe it or not, their was a proto I saw (from another source - not Horton) that shot a regular arrow (knock and all) threw a crossbow that had a whisker bisket mounted on it.
I believe they are trying to patent it.

Thanks,
Mark W. Beck

·
Banned
364 Posts
It is not major task to move the arrow retention spring to lighten up the pressure it puts on the arrow. Also a piece of rubber shrink tubing or self adhesive felt on the spring stops almost all the noise. I adjust the spring on my CB's so they are 3/16" from the rail. This still gives plenty of tension on the arrow. Two pieces of shrink wrap, one over the other, quiets down the slap to very little noise!!

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
Use both fixes that the Griz mentions, then used a piece of adhesive Velcro (the woolly side) and like it even better.

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
Retention spring silencer

I put it only on TOP of the retention spring. Found that rubber or plastic on the bottom side (against the arrow) 'grabs' the carbon arrows I use thereby affecting point of impact. I covered the entire spring with the Velcro, then trim of the excess with a sharp knife.
Come th think of it, this stuff is slick enough so it doesn't grab the arrow, perhaps putting it on the underside would work too. Hmmmm!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
You know, even if they kept the same design but just made it from a synthetic material that doesn't ring when it is plucked. :D

Here's what I do to quiet down my Old School retention clips. Step one use electrical heat shrink and cut it to size. Shrink it to your clip. Cut 1/4" window weather strip to size an stick to the top of the clip!! NO MORE RETENTION CLIP NOISE.... AT ALL!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
921 Posts
The brush that Barnett uses works good and is simple enough. It holds the arrow pretty tight which I like, because I carry the bow upside down when walking/hunting. I'm not sure it makes much noise? It's not enough to hear over the string firing.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I found it interesting reading through some old posts, seems like a lot of the questions are repeating, however there are a few ideas that I haven't seen touched on.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
You guys are digging deep!!!!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Wow, Somebody dug up an old post. This was from 2008 when I wrote it. Looks like some things have changed since then.
How do you like my Old school retention clip noise reduction method!?? I still use it on all my Old Hortons!! It's Golden!! No noise!!

·
1,051 Posts

Here's what I do to quiet down my Old School retention clips. Step one use electrical heat shrink and cut it to size. Shrink it to your clip. Cut 1/4" window weather strip to size an stick to the top of the clip!! NO MORE RETENTION CLIP NOISE.... AT ALL!!!!

Nice.
I like to go one step further and cut a piece of high density foam rubber, stick it to spring then shrink tube the two together

1 - 20 of 30 Posts