Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a good question. I just bought a new Tenpoint crossbow and need to sight it in. I know that there are targets specifically for xbows out there (i.e. the crossbow block) Which is the best option for sighting and target practicing with a crossbow?

·
Banned
108 Posts
I use 4 bales of straw, i put a ratchet strap around each bale to make it tighter, with a Horton 150 at 40 yards, using 100 gr points (practice) it stops the bolt before the fletching hits.

·
41 Posts
I use the morrells super duper target for field points and it works great. I can not hunt with x-bow in NYS therefore right now i don't own a BH target but I am sure that my block targets that i use for my vertical bow would work as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Problem I am running into is that I need to sight with field points and broadheads as well. Most targets I see are specificaly for one or the other. That is why I question which is best to use for both applications. That and I don't feel like destroying new bolts right out of the box by going thru the targets....:)

·
115 Posts
The name of this thread inspired a streak of reality humor that I could not resist.

What is a good target?

1 ... IRS agents

2 ... Representatives who ignore the wishes of the constituents

3 ... Criminals who grab power at any level of government

4 ... Neo liberals who think they have a right to invade private property

5 ... Illegal border crossers

6 ... nosy neighbors

7 ... Telemarketers who will not quit calling

Please feel free to add to this list and have fun

·
Hunter
6,187 Posts
Good target

People who think they must forever forward unwanted E-mail to me.

Spam!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi,
i want to build my target,
I think about using several layer of what we call "black joe" or "tintess" may be
(black on one side 4x8 sheet used on construction?)
Anyone know what i mean ?

I want to know how mutch layer i will need to make a target ?
That should be the ideal material i think for a crossbow target ?

thank you.

·
512 Posts
targets

I have the McKenzie ShotBlocker Crossbow target and it's great. A little pricey but it stands up to punishment.
Kenny

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
Just bought two Morrell Crossbow Target bags. Work great. My 350 fps bow only drives the arrow less than half way in; pulls out with tow fingers. I am duly impressed. It's for fieldtips only, tho.

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
Morrell bags

By the way, they're 20x20x16" so can easily shoot all for sides. Just spray paint some spots on the ends.

·
342 Posts
WallyD said:
The name of this thread inspired a streak of reality humor that I could not resist.

What is a good target?

1 ... IRS agents

2 ... Representatives who ignore the wishes of the constituents

3 ... Criminals who grab power at any level of government

4 ... Neo liberals who think they have a right to invade private property

5 ... Illegal border crossers

6 ... nosy neighbors

7 ... Telemarketers who will not quit calling

Please feel free to add to this list and have fun
I 2nd the list...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Once I found a block that would stop a bolt, I started shooting at playing cards..edgewise. Once you can split a card with a broadhead you can say your ready for hunting. Start at 20 yards and you will find this challenging. once you do this 30 yards is quite a feat to be proud of. A deer would not stand a chance.

·
Banned
402 Posts
spyder web is awesome

it really is a nice target easy pull ..stops um good..

by far the best one is the spyderweb target
if i ever need another target i will buy a spyderweb targer but looks like this one will last for many years the holes fill back in,
second is the morrell crossbow target then last the 200 dollar block very hard to remove arrows,,

the bag rots away on the morrell left out side and fades out .but stops arrows good and easy to remove arrows.. just the bag they use, like a feed sack bag,i have a problem with..

Attachments

·
665 Posts
so will my bag target that i used with my Vertical bow's work for a crossbow?

It was one of those $30 bag targets at the sporting goods store that i used in the bag yard when i didn't have a way to get to the range??

Thanks

Rich

·
287 Posts
I have a new Buckmasters Bag target from wal mart that is working great.
Even at point blank range (10 yards) it does good with easy arrow removal.However,I also have a broadhead target from wal mart(not the buckmasters) and it is not so good.
I like shooting BH's most so I am looking for a good BH target.

·
Banned
1,025 Posts
saxman said:
I have a new Buckmasters Bag target from wal mart that is working great.
Even at point blank range (10 yards) it does good with easy arrow removal.However,I also have a broadhead target from wal mart(not the buckmasters) and it is not so good.
I like shooting BH's most so I am looking for a good BH target.
Scott, I've shot out several layered foam types w/ bheads. I'm currently using a Rinehart 18-1. It seems indestructible. Rain doesn't affect it either, another plus in my book.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts