Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Both WAY more than I'll ever want, need or will buy, in speed and price.

Sorry if offended......you SAID "everybody"........so don't lambast me.
Just my 2 cents. YMMV

Betcha I get at least a few "likes" if people are open and honest..........of course some could change their minds too, free country and all.

God Bless
Gramps

·
14,452 Posts
I wouldn't ... touch the Ravin with a ten-foot pole. :unsure:

Reactions: svbubba

·
Premium Member
Scorpyd Orion Ravin R9
728 Posts
Thought I wanted the 505, and then I found out what kind of anti-dry fire system it uses and it is simply a catch mechanism that actually allows the bow to fire. Ravin's is a true anti-dry fire, doesn't allow the bow to fire unless the arrow is securely nocked on the string. And this will eventually happen to everybody. So, we will see how the season plays out and then after the season I will make a decision, but no way do I buy the 505 with that anti-dry fire system.

·
14,452 Posts
Thought I wanted the 505, and then I found out what kind of anti-dry fire system it uses and it is simply a catch mechanism that actually allows the bow to fire. Ravin's is a true anti-dry fire, doesn't allow the bow to fire unless the arrow is securely nocked on the string. And this will eventually happen to everybody. So, we will see how the season plays out and then after the season I will make a decision, but no way do I buy the 505 with that anti-dry fire system.
So ... where is the tsunami of reports of Ten Point 505 bows blowing up for the difference of their anti-dryfire system? Generally, I want to see the problem before I condemn something. Theory and speculation is all well and good for awareness, but if there are no reports of bows blowing up the proof is in the pudding. There really isn't a problem.
If I were buying a new crossbow today, there's a good chance it would be the Ten Point 505. (If I could convince myself that a crossbow to kill deer inside 50 yards is worth $4,500.00...lol :oops: :rolleyes::unsure:😂) My deal breaker is snap-on nocks. I don't want a bow without them. :)

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
So ... where is the tsunami of reports of Ten Point 505 bows blowing up for the difference of their anti-dryfire system? Generally, I want to see the problem before I condemn something. Theory and speculation is all well and good for awareness, but if there are no reports of bows blowing up the proof is in the pudding. There really isn't a problem.
If I were buying a new crossbow today, there's a good chance it would be the Ten Point 505. (If I could convince myself that a crossbow to kill deer inside 50 yards is worth $4,500.00...lol :oops: :rolleyes::unsure:😂) My deal breaker is snap-on nocks. I don't want a bow without them. :)
$4500?

I paid $2600.

·
Registered
Sonoran Desert Arizona.
1,263 Posts
I agree with the anti dry fire issue on the 505. I don't think we are hearing about issues right now because people are just sending them in for repair and not mentioning it because after everyone getting beat up here they don't want to feel stupid. I also want snap on nocks. I dont want to worry about lubing the rail. I don't like the way Ravin is building the 500 now because after waiting this long for the electric model with the standard scope I still can't get one because they are putting the motor only on the sniper models. Ebay is full of snipers for sale and they still haven't shipped a standard model to my dealer. They keep saying soon. I'm also not impressed with that noisy ass motor now that I've heard it. Im 77 and have a Nov. elk hunt so can't wait forever for changes.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
‘If’ I were to get one or the other, it would be the 505. The R500 still remains unproven in my book, and I don’t care for the twin screw cocking setup.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The 500 has the arrow/broadhead mounted well back in-between the limbs. Is there clearance for Ashby designed 200+ grain single bevel broad heads. It look like it will only shoot 100/125s mechanicals. There doesn't seem to be a lot of clearance on the vertical. Maybe the horizontal?

·
14,452 Posts
I agree with the anti dry fire issue on the 505. I don't think we are hearing about issues right now because people are just sending them in for repair and not mentioning it because after everyone getting beat up here they don't want to feel stupid. I also want snap on nocks. I dont want to worry about lubing the rail. I don't like the way Ravin is building the 500 now because after waiting this long for the electric model with the standard scope I still can't get one because they are putting the motor only on the sniper models. Ebay is full of snipers for sale and they still haven't shipped a standard model to my dealer. They keep saying soon. I'm also not impressed with that noisy ass motor now that I've heard it. Im 77 and have a Nov. elk hunt so can't wait forever for changes.
I think ... the opposite. Whenever there's a deficiency in anything around here the buyers usually scream bloody murder. Part of the value of the forum is forewarning each other of issues "we" have with our gear. I love my Ravin R29X for hunting, but I don't hesitate for a second to yap about how spooky I find loading an arrow. :oops: ;)

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
People can be funny on this site, basically making up stuff to fit their “theory”. (Go back to the KI limb delaminating debacle n read people downplaying it) and also there like 24 active posters on here n I’m probably the youngest at 45. Like duke just said, people would be screaming if there was this issue of them “blowing up”(not dukes words but everyone keeps saying this about the adf) I think there has been 2 on here, 1 for sure on here with the 505 n a dry fire. The bow didn’t blow up. I don’t recall if it even bent the pin. I’ve had my siege for over a year and haven’t blown it up but I’ve broke 2 strings using versa nocks. I honestly thought the adf was the same as my sz350. I never realized it would fire without an arrow loaded. I do lots of dumb stuff but shoot without an arrow hasn’t happened yet.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I think ... the opposite. Whenever there's a deficiency in anything around here the buyers usually scream bloody murder. Part of the value of the forum is forewarning each other of issues "we" have with our gear. I love my Ravin R29X for hunting, but I don't hesitate for a second to yap about how spooky I find loading an arrow. :oops: ;)
I have a friend that does it this way:

Crank it about 25% of the way, load the arrow and then crank it the rest if the way. Just got to have room out in front for the arrow sticking out past the front.

Do the reverse to unload. Uncock about 75% before removing the arrow.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,378 Posts
I was spooked about loading an arrow in my R20 for a while but after loading several hundred of them and never seeing a report of a R20 firing when loading I don't even think about it anymore, That problem went away several years back before the current owners bought the company.

·
14,452 Posts
I have a friend that does it this way:

Crank it about 25% of the way, load the arrow and then crank it the rest if the way. Just got to have room out in front for the arrow sticking out past the front.

Do the reverse to unload. Uncock about 75% before removing the arrow.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Yeah ... a lightbulb went on over my head earlier in the summer and I brought up that idea, which apparently brighter guys than me have been doing for a while. 😂 Certainly, appears to make the entire operation a lot less spooky. Not that it's like setting a beartrap to begin with. You just know your fingers are going in harm's way and they have to spend more time there pecking around trying to get the arrow into the trigger box than with a railed crossbow.
I was spooked about loading an arrow in my R20 for a while but after loading several hundred of them and never seeing a report of a R20 firing when loading I don't even think about it anymore, That problem went away several years back before the current owners bought the company.
It's not like ... I'm trembling loading an arrow. It's just one of those heightened focus situations. On high alert and aware of the fletching which I'm sure turns into 3 miniature samurai swords going through closed fingers. I don't grip the arrow any tighter than I have to...lol :oops:;)

Reactions: samt and Shoreglide
1 - 20 of 38 Posts