Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tested out my new TP Stealth NTX today on a brand new Block target. The xb arrows went in all the way to the fletching at 20 yards, poking out the back side an inch or so. At 30 yards they buried in up to an inch away from the fletching, so not poking out the back side.

Looking for an arrow puller to make it easier to remove them. I used Pam spray on the arrows and I’m not sure if that made it easier to remove or not. Since I have so little to grip with my hands, I think the TenPoint brand puller looks reasonable, but it gets really mixed reviews.

Your advice for a puller you are happy with??

·
Registered
13,759 Posts
Wow! You might want to invest into a bag target too.;)

Reactions: Statgeek

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have been very pleased with my Delta McKenzie Speed Bag. Arrows only go in less than half way and can be removed with two fingers. Field tips only. I haven’t decided what I am going to do about a broadhead target.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
You need a 400fps speed rated target.

I got the Cabellas V400 "Outfitter", for target points; but ther are others.

·
Registered
13,759 Posts
Bag targets are the way to go IMO for field points. The trick with owning one of the speed bows is to find one that will stop your arrows. Personally I make my own bag target by packing rags down the insides of a dog food sack until no more rags will go in. I continue doing this until the bag is stuffed full. My 350 fps bow only penetrates about 4" deep into the target.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
The "Best" arrow puller is N0T needing one !

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Lubing the front 3 to 4 inch of the arrow shaft helps as carbon generates heat causing the foam in a target to bond to the arrow shaft. I use the Trident Silicone Grease available on the internet in a 2 fluid ounce jar. A wee bit goes a long way. If your broad head has passed through the target, one can unscrew it, then tap the arrow back.
Slightly tapping the arrow in will help break it loose also.

I use the Allen Arrow gripper for pulling arrows. It will work over the vane if one fits it carefully.
For a hard faced target, the Arrow Jac helps.

On some targets, (the block with the hard center and recessed hand hole) I have added a "C-clamp" to the Arrow Jac to get more pressure on the arrow to remove it. This is a very poorly designed target due to poor quality 1 1/2" outer layer of foam and losing up to two inch depth for the recessed hand hole.

The high draw weight crossbows require a well packed target. Many targets on the market do not meet their advertised speed in feet per seconds. I would not recommend a target thicker than 14" to 16". Some are up to 19" (Morrell 400 and 450 series) but after a few shots with a 20" arrow, the arrow becomes locked in the target and almost impossible to remove. This target bulges in the center making it deeper. The new 450's have had some poor quality targets come out. I have had two of these: 1)all the left hand side could be compressed 4 inches by hand due to insufficient packing. I tagged this one for vertical bow only and gave it away. 2)the second one where the center is supposed to be a "hard nucleus" in their add, two arrows went to the fletching. This target was pulled out of service after those two shots. morel requested pictures and said "sorry" about the target.
Talking to a fellow at the bow shop where I purchased the targets: "I shoot Morrell all the time with a vertical bow". There is no comparison using a vertical bow to a high draw weight crossbow.

I have taken the Big Shot 500 Extreme and added a lot more tougher material too it. This also increases the weight. This target had military grade sheeting material in it but the material was not installed properly and after a few shots, it bunched up in the center with little toward the outer area. I am over the 70 pound mark, so use a 2 wheel hand cart to move it. Field point only.

Another target is the Bull Dog XP Plus, which I have rebuilt two the same way, making it a very heavy target to move around. Field point only. One target only had about a third of the packing as the machine ran out of material. I found poor quality scrap material edging in it.

Morrell 21 High Roller Dice target, supposedly good for field point and broad head. My suggestion if going this route, buy one for field point and another for broad heads. What the broad heads cut up, the field points push out. This is the easiest target I have found to remove arrows to either pull out or pull on through. Many arrows will penetrate different depths, so I recommend another target as a back up. I have tested it out to 50 yards.
When shooting this target, being it is very light, one wants to either tie it down or put something behind it. Shooting off center will turn the target other wise.

All the best with what ever you choose.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
If your shooting field points get a Spyderweb target. I blow right through the block. I would get a blob and the double d magnum arrow puller

·
Registered
131 Posts

ddarchery.com ( Magnum grip ) Pictures are indexed wrong. Best one I've found.

Attachments

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys. I ended up ordering the TenPoint puller on price and brand familiarity. It seems to work pretty well. The DD looks great, but my concern with that design is that my arrows go in nearly all the way up to the fletching, and I was concerned about the wide grip on that one.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Good luck with your choice. With that block target my guess is it wont be long before they are burried past fletches. I put a few arrows into a block and they were all burried past fletch. 3 arrows need to be refletched.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
About pullers I have to share. I took 2 complete virgins xbow shooting yesterday. Both extremely skilled machinists. We were shooting fixed blades into blobs all day. We had the 10pt arrow puller(~$20), the DD (~$40-$50)and, the Arojac(~$135). I just gotta share the 2 virgins were laughing so hard about the 10pt and DD their sides hurt. They couldn't believe folks spent $ on something their own hands could do and, still all their effort involved in pulling arrows out. Ya they both used the AroJac all day and, became pretty proficient at ratcheting arrows out. Another nice feature about ratcheting arrows out is everytime you advance the AroJac it removes most of the target residue welded to your shafts. The others no. See the older I get the smarter I get. 1st I bought a AroJac for no sweat ez arrow removal. 2nd is now I get other folks to pull all my arrows using it.lol And yes I made them carry all the targets out to 70yds too.:)

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
About pullers I have to share. I took 2 complete virgins xbow shooting yesterday. Both extremely skilled machinists. We were shooting fixed blades into blobs all day. We had the 10pt arrow puller(~$20), the DD (~$40-$50)and, the Arojac(~$135). I just gotta share the 2 virgins were laughing so hard about the 10pt and DD their sides hurt. They couldn't believe folks spent $ on something their own hands could do and, still all their effort involved in pulling arrows out. And yes I made them carry all the targets out to 70yds too.:)

Well done!!!!!.....:cool::cool::D:D:D:D

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Here's another tidbit I learned too. Not all blobs are created equal. They definitely have different density's and, on warmer days they give up easier. I believe every 400fps arrow we shot to 50yds yesterday was out the back. MacDaddy punched them out @70. On a cold day probably not. For faster xbows I'll be ordering the 20"-12" thick from now on.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Carrying your target and pulling your arrows.Nice. I have the 20" and it gets punched out the back but other targets are useless for me with broadheads.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I just use some good old fashion heavy duty landscape gloves. The kind that are very grippy/rubbery on the palms - not the thin slick kind. Either throw the gloves on top of my target or just keep them somewhere handy. They work well if your arrow gets buried too. Cheap durable and always available right around the corner at any hardware store.
0916181956.jpg

1 - 19 of 19 Posts