Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My xbow is an Excalibur. Is the lever's purpose to hold an arrow in place in case of tilting? If I was to need to tilt my crossbow at say a 45 degree angle to take a shot, how would this affect my desired point of impact?

·
Registered
13,358 Posts
Welcome to the boards Liam. The arrow holder does just that....holds the arrow. Whether shooting downhill, level, or uphill the force on the arrow from the holder is constant every shot. Zero your scope and you shouldn't have a problem caused by the arrow holder. Without the holder the arrow could drop away from the string a short distance and you not know it causing a dry fire. And....that aint good!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Welcome to the boards Liam. The arrow holder does just that....holds the arrow. Whether shooting downhill, level, or uphill the force on the arrow from the holder is constant every shot. Zero your scope and you shouldn't have a problem caused by the arrow holder. Without the holder the arrow could drop away from the string a short distance and you not know it causing a dry fire. And....that aint good!
X2.
Dah ... I’m such a dork. I misunderstood his simple question.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you gentlemen. I believe my other question was regarding what is called "canting." From what I've read it seems it does have some effect on desired POI, but I'll observe as to what degree this effect has in an experiment later today.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Liam canting the bow refers to not keeping the limbs of the bow level. That's why you see bubble levels being placed on bows now. It helps to remind you to keep the limbs parallel.

·
Registered
13,358 Posts
Fletcher is spot-on. At longer distances it will make more of a difference in POI. In climbers I have had to lean my crossbow to get the shot off (all shots aint when the deer is standing in that "perfect" spot ;)) and the arrow will still pretty much be on the mark at shorter ranges (25 yards or less).

·
Registered
783 Posts
This may help with the canting explanation. If your CB/scope is sighted in for a POI at 20 yards and you rotate the CB 90 degrees and shoot the same sight picture & yardage, you would be off, left/right, the amount of distance between the scope mount and the rail, probably about 1.5/2" difference. Of course this would be the extreme as it would be awkward to shoot the CB rotated 90 degrees. Hunting shots at 20 yards I doubt that it would make much of a difference.

Reactions: Liam and Fletcher
1 - 9 of 9 Posts