Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For considering a bow is accurate? So let’s say that you just bought a bow and you make arrows that you know works well in a good bow. What group size at what distance do you consider good.
Personally, I expect one hole accuracy at 40 yards. What say you?

·
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A group after culling and any 3 arras

·
Premium Member
Excalibur Assassin 400TD
252 Posts
And... are we talking field points? mechanical broadheads?, or fixed blade broadheads?

·
2,753 Posts
Every arrow i keep will shoot a broadhead tipped hunting arrow inside 2" at 50 yds most will shoot better. I have 17 upstairs that will do this. This is after there indexed and if needed rotated. Every arrow i fletch has the same color vanes and my lighted nocks are on every arrow and they allow easy nock rotation if needed. The last thing i do is mark the cock vane.

·
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And... are we talking field points? mechanical broadheads?, or fixed blade broadheads?
I meant field points. Today’s mechanicals are nearly as accurate. Fixed broadhead size varies and so does the desire to align them. I think a bows accuracy can be defined better by field points, not by broadheads. A soft spine can throw things out of kilter as well when tipped with a fixed.

·
Registered
786 Posts
getting the same arrow to go in the same hole while bench resting a bow at 30 yards is not uncommon.

Getting a 6 arrow group landing in a 2" mark at 60 yards is real doable by someone with some skill and decent equipment.
Beyond 60 yards is where things start showing up. Like poor trigger, sloppy shooting skills, poor factory arrows become evident.

Getting a 6 arrow group to land in a 2 " or 3 " mark at 80 yards is where the rubber meets the pavement.
The shooter, the bow. the arrows all matter now. The better the shooter and arrows the less the bow matters.

Finally, add on some broad heads at 80 yrds and you might be starting over.

My goals are all 80 yard based. Becuse thats a solid goal I.M.O but like verticle bows when you practiced at long ranges the close stuff becomes a chip shot.
Not to metion just shooting a bow to 20 or 25 yrs hunting would be a waist of money and time. You can do that with anything, any arrows any bow. I would save your money at that point and hang out on some hunting forums.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
For considering a bow is accurate? So let’s say that you just bought a bow and you make arrows that you know works well in a good bow. What group size at what distance do you consider good.
I agree with one hole accuracy from the same arrow shot repeatedly although my arrows group well out to 80 yards. By using one arrow accuracy confirmation is easier.
With one new CP 375 Spectre crossbow I was checking for amount of nock drag I decided to shoot the same arrow 25 times from 40 yards at a 1 1/4" black dot for accuracy confirmation. I hit the dot 24 times with many same hole shots while marking minor scope adjustments. The one missing was me holding low for down wind gust that wasn't needed. I noticed if I keep hitting the same hole the arrow would start to bury too deep so I needed to shot at different spots with the spot.
The nock drag was very slight.
Also the walking equals exercise.

·
Registered
151 Posts
No wind solid bench rest.

Considering the bow alone, one hole at 40 yards same arrow, same index.

Anything else gets into considerations of arrow accuracy which is not bow accuracy.

Arrows I expect less of. If they give me an inch at 40 that's OK. I do not shoot past 20 when hunting, thus half inch group size is acceptable because it puts my shot within 1/4 inch of where I aim. I can't aim that repeatably on a deer.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Same hole accuracy at 40 should not be a problem. 1/2" groups at 60 . At 80 with same bow and same arrows my friend shoots about an inch to an inch and a half bigger group than I do.

·
2,753 Posts
Had to do some digging lol. But here's a group i shot barking at 12 years ago. It was after i decided to sell my strikeforce That had hung on a nail for about a year. At the time i had only opened up 80 yds of my range and this was shot at 80 yds. LOL seems like some things never change. I'm still stuffing feed sacks with rags and using pizza box lids for targets. Looks like Easton Power Bolts and Quick spin vanes. These were cherry picked arrows. I knew nothing about spine indexing at the time or rotating cock vanes. And if anyone else did it wasn't talked about.

I have had 13 crossbows in 13 years, while i never did this again. I could have with every bow if i cherry picked the arrows. Even in well built arrows there's still those that shoot better than better.

This history has lead me to say/think accuracy lives in the arrow. Even going way back to the argument at the time for Excaliburs and flat nocks. That was you can't load them wrong. That was and is still true. The old Ibex benefited from spine indexed arrows and i have said it would shoot a old piece of water pipe back in the day.

·
11,688 Posts
Dead deer ... ½" right/left/up/down at every range is good enough for me with an arrow or a slug. I'm more particular with a bullet.

Reactions: SEW

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
I would think if you clamp up any crossbow in a mechanical “Hooter Shooter”, you could reasonably expect nearly same hole accuracy at 40 yards almost always.

However, when the Indian is doing the shooting, it should be good also but you’re adding breathing and a heartbeat into the equation when squeezing the trigger while keeping the crosshair on the bullseye.

However, we are blessed with some world class snipers on the forum here, so anything is possible.

400xpvortex-70yardsrnd2-jpeg.184058.jpeg

·
Registered
990 Posts
I agree with one hole accuracy from the same arrow shot repeatedly although my arrows group well out to 80 yards. By using one arrow accuracy confirmation is easier.
With one new CP 375 Spectre crossbow I was checking for amount of nock drag I decided to shoot the same arrow 25 times from 40 yards at a 1 1/4" black dot for accuracy confirmation. I hit the dot 24 times with many same hole shots while marking minor scope adjustments. The one missing was me holding low for down wind gust that wasn't needed. I noticed if I keep hitting the same hole the arrow would start to bury too deep so I needed to shot at different spots with the spot.
The nock drag was very slight.
Also the walking equals exercise.
i just move the paper with a hole into slightly different spot to save fletchings ;)

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
In hunting conditions, not on a bench, strapped down and known distances to the inch, 3 MOA is quite acceptable. In fact 3 MOA will harvest any game animal. That's holding a 3/4" group at 25 yards in hunting conditions, not bench rested at a shooting range. If sighting in and preparing for hunting conditions at the range, reduce your MOA to 1.5. IMO, that's a good size target to be proficient at any distance.

·
5,727 Posts
90%+ of crossbows are conventionally railed (open on top) with almost all others with a front rest. With these crossbows, the arrows and shooter’s skill are the primary factors with optics closely behind. Arrow consistency, and to a lesser extent, arrow design, are essential for obtaining great groups. Crossbow triggers have historically been a major impediment to accuracy. Of course, the quickest way to reduce size is to increase scope power. Most crossbow specific scopes do not lend themselves to high levels of accuracy.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I dont get all carried away with 1 hole accuracy standard in my mind. I hear about it but I dont pay attention to it.
I want to hit 4 out of 4 pennies at 30 yards off a solid rest and in good conditions.
I took one shot at 40 yards in the last 25 years or so and 99% of all of my shots are well inside 30 yards, so thats all I am concerned with.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts