Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All -

This year will be my first year hunting with a crossbow (ravin R10) and im just curious what are some favorites when it comes to broadheads.

Based on my research on the forum it looks like Sevr Titanium, Rage crossbow, and recently I saw @Iowaguy really like Thorne Crown Broadheads.

I always like testing and researching new things so please let me know of others so I can look into them! thanks!

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
This year will be my first year hunting with a crossbow (ravin R10) recently I saw @Iowaguy really like Thorne Crown Broadheads.
I just ordered some Thorne Crown as well for my R10.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I bought the Thorn HPX and even though they shot great on my target they just didn’t perform well. I have the R29 and shot a doe last Dec at 22 yds from an elevated stand. Very little wound channel so little blood and lost trail in thickets, no deer to feast on. I live in north MD and it was 35 that morning. The HPX didn’t open flew straight through and the shattered laterally, from point to threads.
I emailed the company, sent photos but never heard anything back. I sent the recovered broadhead in with signature required tracking and a written explanation of the conditions and what happened. Again never heard anything. I even called and discussed the problem but was told they never received the package, but I had the signature to prove delivery. Still nothing.
Let’s hope if you go with Thorn HPX, the last year has impro the customer service sine these are on the expensive side of broadheads.

I shoot Muzzy 3 blade fixed or the SEVR 2.0 Titanium.

thank you,
jonothan

·
Registered
30 Posts
Truglo Titanium X mechanical broadhead out of my Ravin R29X @450fps. I always used Rage Hypo until I lost one two years ago in South Dakota. We found him in Spring. Shoulder shot broke both blades off. Nerver had that problem with Truglo

·
Registered
74 Posts
I’m not a mechanical guy. Murphy is always tagging along for the ride. I’m stocked up on Slick Trick Mags in the 125 variety. They shoot great and performed great this season. Shot a young buck 1/4 to me and it went in the front shoulder, exited the aft brisket, broke the hind leg,and buried in the earth. The broadhead was in perfect condition. No bent blades and spun true. I sharpened the blades, which are easy on the ST’s, and put in back in the rotation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well Im almost an R10 owner. Its in the mail they say. I used Grim Reapers this year. Took the only shot I was offered which was a front quartering shot. Right beside the RF shoulder and exited lower rear abdomen the blew the left rear kneed apart. 40 yards into the track I found a hunk of bone larger that a quarter on the leaves. Great entry hole and huge exit wound. The exit would was plugged with intestines which kept the bleeding inside. The blood I was following turned out to be from the nearly severed leg. GPS said he made it 370 yards. He was FULL of blood. I cant imagine greater damage than this deer had but shot placement was responsible for minimal exterior blood loss and not the broadhead. Based on what I saw it do, they will be on my bolts next season.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Shot 2 bucks in October with my R29 using Truglo Titanium X 4 blade mechanicals. They did the job.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had a similar experience as above with Thorn HPX. Shot straight through and punched a nice hole with no indication of cutting by the blades. I’m not giving them a second chance.

·
Registered
648 Posts
TruGlo titanium x 4 blade mech out of my R10. Zipped through my buck and stuck in the tree behind him. Not a bit of damage done to the broadhead and ill use it again. Awesome hole, great blood trail and short tracking job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
248 Posts
I like the sevr but this year I took my deer with the Swat XP. It fired exactly where I aimed and left a huge wound channel. I had some thorne's crown on my bow a couple of times but didn't take a shot with them. Guys have had good luck taking deer with them?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Just read Iowaguys posts those crowns look like they do the job. They are longer than the swats. I really wanted to try one, but the SWAT broadheads won my quiver lottery.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I like the sevr but this year I took my deer with the Swat XP. It fired exactly where I aimed and left a huge wound channel. I had some thorne's crown on my bow a couple of times but didn't take a shot with them. Guys have had good luck taking deer with them?
See my thread on here with pics using the Crown Thorn. Shot two deer so far with them this season. Massive damage and very accurate.

Attachments

·
Registered
553 Posts
crown entry and exit on this eight point. He was quartering away, hit behind left rear rib, exited front center shoulder on right side. Ran 50-60 yards maybe and piled up. First pic is entry hole, second is exit in shoulder. Those Crowns are the real deal if you like fixed blades. I have also had amazing success with Rage Hypodermics and Sevr mechanicals.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
I saw Iowaguy’s post awhile back and ordered some of the Thorn Crown broad heads. At 400 fps out of my R10, these ought to make a hole that you could see the ground on the other side after it passes thru.

I get nervous thinking about loading it into my Ravin.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I love the way the thorns look. I like the idea of a fixed blade. I am still dealing with a quiver real estate issue on my R26 and r29 X bows. I bought a munch adapter to put the quiver on top and now the arrows are right in my face. The thorns are longer so they extend into may face farther. Right by the scope. If the quiver is under I was always resting my bow on the arrows... so I took it off when in the blind. This year with it on top it the arrows were right next to the scope... so I took it off when in the blind.

Once I find a useable bow quiver set up I will be trying the thorns. It is great to know they are deadly on deer and deadly accurate. Thorne makes accurate blades.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts