Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since seasons coming up, tongues will be hitting the dirt. So then, which knife do you like to use when field dressing and skinning?

Me, my very favorite is a small fish fillet knife I've had for over 15 years. I keep a large stone with it.

·
665 Posts
A sharp One:biggrinjester:

I have a lockblade that my dad gave me and I also have 2 buck style knives that my mother-in-law gave me that were her dad's, he is my hunting hero:)

·
30 Posts
I really like my Kershaw Scallion folder for field dressing deer. It came razor-sharp from the factory. The blade is smallish and perfect for quick and easy work. And then the entire knife can just be hosed off with a garden hose to get all the deer stuff out of the workings.

·
110 Posts
I have been using a knife that was handmade out of a horse shoe file, it has been a good one and really holds an edge but it will rust if not taken care of...

·
Banned
1,025 Posts
Various Puma's and a Jamie McGowan custom from Canada that was gifted to me. O/thread a tad, but if y'all need a good knife sharpewner, the G-5 Sportsman is a beaut. Best I've ever used and real fast. Also great for bhead blades like Slicks.

·
Armed Citizen
1,918 Posts
I use a Buck Pathfinder #105. It's been inside every deer I ever harvested. Fixed blade that is small enough and sharp enough to have scalpel precision. Still large enough and rugged enough to cut rib cages and pelvic bones.
It holds an edge very well too. I can go from deer to deer with very minor touch up on the edge. 10 - 15 strokes on both sides of the blade with my Lanskey and it is ready for the next deer.

·
224 Posts
buck 110...Its got a few years on it.
I'll be passing it down when I can't use it anymore.
It'll last about forever, if it doesn't get lost.

Buddy of mine had an identical one that he lost on a lease I took him out
on. Long story short....he lost it. It was a present from his wife.
I found it 2 weeks later when I went looking for it based on where
he'd been.

Should've seen the smile on their faces when I showed up with it.

·
1,426 Posts
i use different ones a lot but your suggestion is the cheapest and best : filet knife...I started using it and others were amazed and do the same.. still like my others at times... like anything else... there is the go to and there is the one I choose for reasons of joy of use and handling... etc.

dk

·
329 Posts
to all,

i use a combination of a typical sheath knife with a 5" blade, a bone saw & a small/VERY sharp Henkels "paring knife" for fine work.

frankly, i don't think ANY knife is good for all the jobs in dressing out/butchering a WT.

yours, tn46

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
My 'lucky' Buck 110...the only thing I'm superstitious about. Been in more deer than I care to count. Have several more safe queens, including a monogrammed Browning with rosewood handles, but the Buck always goes.

·
Banned
258 Posts
Homemade,gut hook and all,he made me two before he passed away at 94
one stays in my gun cabinet,for my grand son,the other is always with me
hunting,riding,etc.:eek:

·
211 Posts
I have several knives that I use but my main hunting knife is a buck "special", or was anyway, the last few years I've been carrying a schrade folding blade more and more, it works just as good and being as it folds up I can carry it in a pocket which is one less thing hanging off my hip/belt

·
287 Posts
I have just got into making knives The guy who is teaching me made the one I'll use this year.

It's Damascus steel made from a crane cable and MAN is it sharp.
I do not like a large knife for feild dressing

I switch knives for skinning and switch again when butchering

Here is a link to his site
He is a retired fireman and has become a good friend and teacher
If you are looking for a knife Randy can do it.
These are not presintation knives,they are made by hand,one at a time and are to be used.
Tell Randy the I sent you
He know me as Scott Johnson not saxman
The one he helped me make is pictured at the bottom.

http://www.rguessknives.com/

It started as an old Nichols file then we put it in the forge and hammer forged the rough shape
Went to the grinder and shaped again,we the Ash Annealed it
The wood underneath is Mexican Cocobola and it has mosaic pins
It took three full days of work,every Tuesday for three weeks
I have allot of respect for blacksmiths.
The knife is flawed just like the maker.

Here is the knife finished

We then made the sheath with a strutting turkey,acorns and oak leaf border

I gave it to my father recently for his 83rd birthday
I hadnt seen him cry in years but this did it.

After my uncles put in orders for their hunting knives my Wife,Mom and all my Aunts put theirs in for kitchen and butcher knives.
I have some work to do.
I will also be making filet knives.

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That is awesome! I know several knife makers, but I can't afford to pay what they put into them. I'm afraid I'd loose it or I just wouldn't use it at all, and showcase it as artwork.
I was at a hunting awards banquet one time, before I understood what was going on behind the scenes, and I about fell out of my chair at the auction when a hand crafted knife, (the last of a collection of 5) went for $28,000.00!
Oh, ad I agree. I use a short knife to field dress instead of a fillet knife when it's available. My partners little short pocket knife. I don't like cleaning all the nooks and crannys of it later though. With bleach!

·
1,525 Posts
I use a 2" blade Swiss army pocket knife. The short blade keeps me from cutting parts of the deer I do not wish to cut. It's neat and fast.

·
272 Posts
Me I like to use a nice sharp knife In the woods. don't much care who makes it .last few years I been using a Bucklite That I found stuck in a tree middle of nowhere .someone left it behind.

·
Hunter
6,187 Posts
Capt Hook said:
Me I like to use a nice sharp knife In the woods. don't much care who makes it .last few years I been using a Bucklite That I found stuck in a tree middle of nowhere .someone left it behind.
You found my knife,Go ahead and keep it,bought a new one:D

Reactions: skypeace

·
272 Posts
I don't like cleaning all the nooks and crannys of it later though with bleach.

use pepsi cola to clean it .just put in a bowl overnite with some "Pepsi Cola" than in the am take your husbands or boyfriend wich everone you got at the time s tooth brush (Before he gets up) and scrub it .works fine ......Hook

1 - 20 of 45 Posts