Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before someone else calls me a gear-sucker, I'll admit it outright. I love to research new stuff that hits the market, and more than occasionally, I'll buy something that I don't really need just to see if it's fun, useful, or quite the opposite.

This year I'm trying out two new-to-me hunting pieces of equipment. One is the Q-safe strap that replaces the standard tree rope for connecting my climbing harness to the tree (Q-Safe Tree Strap Safety Anchor | Blinded Hunting | Ohio). I'll use this with my climber treestand, and I'm optimistically curious to see if it's really an easier way to climb while attached to the tree, or just a gimmick. I'm a proponent of being strapped in from the moment my feet leave the ground, and I have hopes that this little do-dad will make it a wee bit easier to climb.

While I have high(ish) expectations for the Q-safe strap, the second gadget that I'll carry this year may one of those gadgets that turns out to be completely unnecessary. Yup... I bought the Butt-Out-2 from Hunter Specialties (Butt Out 2 - Hunter Specialties). YouTube videos of this gadget often have skeptical guys saying that they wish they had been using them for years, so what the heck, I'll give it a try. It's cheap and light enough that there's little risk involved, but if it turns out to not really be worth it, oh well...

What are you trying out this year that's new to you?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'll be trying out saddle hunting this year. Looking forward to not having to tote 20+ lb climbers.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll be trying out saddle hunting this year. Looking forward to not having to tote 20+ lb climbers.
Man oh Man, I'll be eager to hear how this goes for you. I'm intrigued by the idea of saddle hunting, but not yet convinced that the trade off in weight of a nice climbing stand, compared to the climbing sticks and saddle gear, is really worth it to me. I also admit that I'm a little nervous about all of the rope-work associated with saddle hunting. If I had a local buddy to teach me the ropes (pun intended), that could go a long way towards alleviating my concerns. Good luck, and stay safe!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Man oh Man, I'll be eager to hear how this goes for you. I'm intrigued by the idea of saddle hunting, but not yet convinced that the trade off in weight of a nice climbing stand, compared to the climbing sticks and saddle gear, is really worth it to me. I also admit that I'm a little nervous about all of the rope-work associated with saddle hunting. If I had a local buddy to teach me the ropes (pun intended), that could go a long way towards alleviating my concerns. Good luck, and stay safe!
Thanks, I've done some practice climbs - I use a Lone Wolf Hand Climber as my climbing method and platform. I feel pretty comfortable with it as it's not much different than using a climber. See this video:

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks pretty cool, I have to admit. Though... I'd not be able to take my mid-day snooze in a saddle! LOL. Good luck with that setup. I'm still contemplating it someday.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I rely on my binos a lot when I hunt, either using my climbing stand or spot and stalk. Finally got the Vortex bino harness. Keeps them tight to my chest with no swinging back and forth like the neck strap does. Think I got them for under 20 bucks, worth every penny to me

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
I'm going to try an O3 unit and see if that helps. I often hunt in warm temps and can work up a sweat. Maybe this will help then and when wind isn't ideal.

Reactions: Statgeek and PBR

·
Registered
13,346 Posts
Nothing new here but different broadheads...Dead Ringer the Nasty.

Reactions: Statgeek

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Like hearing about the new gadgets going out this year. Lemme know what you think of the O3 setup TX!!

·
Happy Member
5,561 Posts
The new BOG Deathgrip tripod this year for me.

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Like hearing about the new gadgets going out this year. Lemme know what you think of the O3 setup TX!!
Will do SG. The technology is real but the issue of air flow control is what makes me wonder how well it will work in a tree stand. I'm a climber guy so we'll see. I think it should work well in a ground blind or shooting house. I'll go after pigs after deer hunting is over and that will be from a ground blind which will be a good test.

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Before someone else calls me a gear-sucker, I'll admit it outright. I love to research new stuff that hits the market, and more than occasionally, I'll buy something that I don't really need just to see if it's fun, useful, or quite the opposite.

This year I'm trying out two new-to-me hunting pieces of equipment. One is the Q-safe strap that replaces the standard tree rope for connecting my climbing harness to the tree (Q-Safe Tree Strap Safety Anchor | Blinded Hunting | Ohio). I'll use this with my climber treestand, and I'm optimistically curious to see if it's really an easier way to climb while attached to the tree, or just a gimmick. I'm a proponent of being strapped in from the moment my feet leave the ground, and I have hopes that this little do-dad will make it a wee bit easier to climb.

While I have high(ish) expectations for the Q-safe strap, the second gadget that I'll carry this year may one of those gadgets that turns out to be completely unnecessary. Yup... I bought the Butt-Out-2 from Hunter Specialties (Butt Out 2 - Hunter Specialties). YouTube videos of this gadget often have skeptical guys saying that they wish they had been using them for years, so what the heck, I'll give it a try. It's cheap and light enough that there's little risk involved, but if it turns out to not really be worth it, oh well...

What are you trying out this year that's new to you?
I had not seen the Q-Safe Strap. That's really a pretty slick safety harness. I climb in my climber without a rope but as I get older, I think more about risk.

·
Registered
5,434 Posts

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I got my new to me Swat 408 (great Christmas gift to myself!) and tricked it out with an Evo X from Rich, and then ordered up some Tapps from Jerry! Set for a big buck deflation!!!

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
I got my new to me Swat 408 (great Christmas gift to myself!) and tricked it out with an Evo X from Rich, and then ordered up some Tapps from Jerry! Set for a big buck deflation!!!
Great gear KTK! Let's see some game pictures please.....

Reactions: KTownKiller
1 - 20 of 30 Posts