Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just out of curiosity what all does everyone else use?

·
Hunter
6,187 Posts
What scope

I use a Excalibur Lumi Zone.

·
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use an Elite 1.5 x 5 4200, 3.5 x 10 vari x III, 1.5 x 6 30mm Monarch Gold, Varizone and 2 Holos. The Holos are amazing. Fast and very precise. I have a Lumzone on order and it will probably go onto my Relayer. All interesting stuff. Awshucks shot my Exocet 200 with the Holo and did well. It's a bit distracting at first but once you learn a few things about it it works great.

·
11,411 Posts
Depends on the hunting conditions

My favorite reflex single red dot (by a mile:) is the Zeiss Z-Point. I use it on crossbows that are used for thickly wooded hunting conditions with shots limited to 40 yards. I sight them in for 30 yards.

I also use several of the discontinued 30mm Ten Point 3 dot red dot reflex sights, depending on the crossbow/arrow weight combination. These sights were calibrated for 20/30/40 yards using a 430 grain arrow at around 305 fps. I've found the dot spacing on these work great on the Phantom and Desert Stryker shooting a 470 grain 20" arrow and 440 grain 22" arrow (DS) sighted in at 30/40/50 yards.

I've found the Stryker 20/40/60 yard red dot reflex sight designed for 400+ fps is ideal for the Excal Vortex sighted in for 30/40/50 yards using the same heavy 470 grain arrow at around 290 fps. It also works great on the Pro Slider using a 430 grain arrow sighted in at 30/40/50 yards.

To date I have not found a conventional scope with magnification that I like. They are too heavy for already heavy crossbows, internal reflections are horrible IMO with the illuminated reticles and I've found I don't need magnification for deer sized animals out to 70 yards and shots at close range (10 to 20 yards), in VERY low light conditions, the zero magnification reflex sights are much better than conventional scopes for my old eyes.

Attachments

·
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Moonkryket, what do those things retail for?

·
11,411 Posts
I think you can get them for

around $399.00. They are expensive but I've always felt that in hunting nothing is more important than what I see or don't see.:D Here are photos of the Z-Point on my Contender handgun and a Bowtech vertical bow which I recently sold. Arthritis ended my vertcial bow shooting for good:(
The Z-Point fits on any Weaver base.

Attachments

·
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What advantages does the Z Point have over the Holo? They are close in price. I like the 1 MOA of the Holo.

·
11,411 Posts
The only Holo sights I have are Pride Fowlers

They are about the best holos I've used BUT I've seen none that equals the features of the Z-Point (for a single dot reflex sight). OK, you asked. At the risk of being accused of being a Zeiss salesman, I assure you up front I am not. Here goes:

Z-Point’s combination of features not found on any other reflex sight I've seen:

1 - Water proof
2 - Snaps on and off a Weaver base in 2 seconds - use it on your turkey gun, crossbow, muzzleloader and handgun
3 - Has a long contact surface with the Weaver base so it always goes back on without point of impact change
4 - Patented hybrid power system - Solar with battery backup
5 - Ambient light sensor to keep the relative red dot brightness constant as lighting changes late in evening and early morning so you don't have to keep adjusting the red dot intensity once you start your hunt
6 - Shuts itself off after 4 hours run time to eliminate draining backup battery
7 - Red dot intensity adjustment is infinite, not limited to 11 or less adjustment settings seen on other reflex sights
8 - No protruding rheostat adjustment knobs - Sealed push button for off/on - red dot intensity increase and decrease
9 - Solar power keeps the Z-Point going in freezing temperatures. As a test, I put a Z-Point in a freezer for 2 days. It was then taken out and the frost removed from the lenses. The Z-Point was then taken outside and switched on. Its red dot was on and functioning normally with the battery still frozen. Competitors’ sights with battery power only can die in freezing temperatures.
10 – Recoil-proof -I've been shooting a Z-Point on a 45-70 Government TC Contender handgun for 18 months. The Z-Point is still being used on the handgun after extensive shooting with no ill effect. I know of one Z-Point used on a 458 Winchester. Try that with any other holo:D
11- Dot size is an ideal (IMHO) 2.5 MOA for crossbow hunting

Again, you asked:)

·
41 Posts
I have a vari-zone on my phoenix now. I only purchased the x-bow 2 months ago and will use the vari-zone till I feel comfortable shooting an x-bow. I have a Zeiss z-point which I purchased last year for my vertical bow but I never put it on my ross 337. Once I get use to shooting this new x-bow i plan on switching over to the z-point to see how it compares. right now I am just target shooting but I would like to compare the two styles of optical systems.

·
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Moonkryket, sounds interesting enough for me to check it out. Now to find someone who retails it.

·
38 Posts
I use a TenPoint Pro-View scope on my Excalibur Phoenix. I prefer the 3-crosshair reticle, and the red/green lighted aiming points are very useful in low light. The Pro-View is calibrated for 300 fps, so it fits the Phoenix perfectly.

·
342 Posts
Excal Lumizone

·
11,411 Posts
I saw a very interesting holo sight at the ATA

It's a Tru Glo holo with 4 different dot spacings to choose from just by turning a selector knob and I think it could be switched from red to green. For folks that shoot a lot of different crossbows:D this sight has a lot of possibilities and the price is right.

·
1,071 Posts
Truglo

I use a Truglo Trubrite with red or green illumination. It has four crosshair reticles (20-30-40-50) that can be used in either standard black or the green & red illumination. I like it better then the Lumizone because of the crosshair style reticle but thats my personal opinion. I use the illumination in the early morning or late evening hours and also in areas such as heavy pines where low light conditions exsist. During the daylight hours where good light conditions exsist i use the standard crosshairs with no illumination.

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
Quote: "I like it better then the Lumizone because of the crosshair style reticle"

Am I missing something or just confused? LumiZone HAS a crosshair style reticule, with 4 aiming points on the vertical axis above and below the horizontal wire.

·
1,071 Posts
The Truglo has four seperate crosshair reticles for 20-30-40-50 yards.The Lumizone has a crosshair reticle with the four aiming points on the vertical axis as you stated but does not have four individual crosshairs as soes the Truglo.You can see the comparison on the below listed link. Again this is my personal opinion.

http://www.crossbow-review.com/ReviewPages/LumiZone VS Truglo_page1.htm

·
Administrator
6,085 Posts
TruGlo Sites

Moonkryket said:
It's a Tru Glo holo with 4 different dot spacings to choose from just by turning a selector knob and I think it could be switched from red to green. For folks that shoot a lot of different crossbows:D this sight has a lot of possibilities and the price is right.
I think these are the sites you are talking about.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts