Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's best for you to cock your crossbow?
I shoot a 175lb pull bow, so I sit on my butt on the ground or on a chair and use my legs while I hold the string and feel the rail evenly, where as my hunting partner, simply stands over his bow and cocks his standing up or over his. It's too long for me to do that without inflicting pain when the butt runs up to my chin.
I realize women have more lower body strength and men have more upper body strength, but it seems many use a cocking device. So, what's your style?

·
329 Posts
GM, GG,

i find that i get a better & more consistent draw with my Horton XB cocking strap. also, i have "issues with" Mr Osteo, so i don't hurt the next day using 'the cheater'.
(in YOUR case, at TOUCHING distance, consistency makes NO difference = CHUCKLE!)

your www.friend, tn46

·
Registered
112 Posts
Use a rope cocker like the one put out by Excalibur. It works on most bows, with an adjustment to string length, and severely decreases the amount of weight you have to physically pull. It will also allow you to pull evenly every time which may not be the case when doing it by hand.

The one disadvantage to cocking from a standing position is that you have to start in a bent over position. From a physiological standpoint your lower back and hamstrings are loaded from the first movement to the finish and that can cause problems for many people. If you are going to try and cock from an upright position then remember to bend your knees and push with your legs. Don't try to pull the rope with your arms or you may fatigue quickly.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any further questions!

·
Registered
8,593 Posts
I use the Excal rope cocker......a great investment. I find I can practice longer because of the ease of cocking! Check out the Excal site for a video...

·
101 Posts
i use a horton cranking device, it seems to give that even pull every time so the arrows don't cank oneway or the other off the bow.

·
Armed Citizen
1,918 Posts
I draw from a standing position. I slide my thumbnails along the rail for an accurate draw.

·
1,222 Posts
used to do it by hand...but the only way to get/keep the string center...on center is with a rope (or chain!).

Too many variables when doing it by feel (by hand).

Bee..pretty difficult to cock a reCon without the cocker!

Mike

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
kennisondan said:
so far I crank my terminator with the parker crank.. easy .. and once I recover I will try the rope cocker...
dk
RECOVER? You okay?

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
Excal cocking rope on Cyclone and 2 Excals. Do your back a favor (mine has been cut twice) and get a rope cocker, at least; Excal makes the best on the market.

·
342 Posts
Rope cocker...

·
Banned
258 Posts
warthog67 said:
Use a rope cocker like the one put out by Excalibur. It works on most bows, with an adjustment to string length, and severely decreases the amount of weight you have to physically pull. It will also allow you to pull evenly every time which may not be the case when doing it by hand.

The one disadvantage to cocking from a standing position is that you have to start in a bent over position. From a physiological standpoint your lower back and hamstrings are loaded from the first movement to the finish and that can cause problems for many people. If you are going to try and cock from an upright position then remember to bend your knees and push with your legs. Don't try to pull the rope with your arms or you may fatigue quickly.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any further questions!
Thanks Warthog it is a lot easier that way!:D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts