Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a target for broadheads. I used to shoot broadheads into the ground from a tree stand with my vertical bow & into a pile of clean sand for ground shooting, but I won't be in a tree with a crossbow & need to sight in off the ground. I could get some sand & try a sand pile but I think a crossbow bolt may get completely buried so any advise on a good broadhead target would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
Rhinehart XL Block target. Shoot two sides with field point and 2 sides with broad head.
Depending on draw weight of the crossbow and distance to the target, carbon arrows
can be hard to remove.

Other members recommend the blob target which is very heavy. I can not bring this
target into Canada unless I go for it. Too costly to ship due to needing a fork lift to
transfer from various trucks.

I have tried the Morrell 21 Dice target and my broad heads cut it up while the field
point push out the cuttings. It is a vary light foam target, easy to carry around, but
if shooting near an edge it turns so it would need strapping down plus a back up.

Contacting Morrell, they told me the bottom red target is made out of the same
material as the 21 Dice target, so I would not purchase it. The bottom target is
also available in a tan-brown color.

All the best with what ever you choose.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Its all in how much you want to spend. I have heard good things about the Reinhart targets. They are all pretty pricey. I bought a rag bag from second hand archery. Its nothing more then a sack with targets on it. You fill it clean full of old clothes and rags. It stops all of my arrows with broadheads on. Removal is only tough to wiggle the broadhead out of the clothes. It will also get really heavy if left out in the rain like mine. I like to complain that after 2 years I need to replace it. But it was $30 not $100's

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
134 Posts
I use a Reinhart 18-1 target for broadheads. They last a long time if you rotate the various aiming points. It stops broadheads well, allows easy extraction, and is easy on mechanical broadhead blades. Don't use it with fieldpoints though, they can be hard to extract.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All I need it for is to sight in with broadheads. Other than that I can use my bag target to practice with field points. A lot of people seem to think if the package says they will hit the same as a field point that they will, but that is often not the case. I just need to know where the broadheads go to make sure it is sighted in correctly for hunting. I hate to spend much for one shooting session but it seems to get one that will stop the fletching from going in the target it will be well over a $100. I could shoot into a hill side but that could get expensive if I hit any stones . There often is a stone or two somewhere down in the ground it seems. I may have to check some local sporting goods & box stores to see what they are offering.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Rhinehart XL Block target or blob. Period

·
Registered
47 Posts
All I need it for is to sight in with broadheads. Other than that I can use my bag target to practice with field points. A lot of people seem to think if the package says they will hit the same as a field point that they will, but that is often not the case. I just need to know where the broadheads go to make sure it is sighted in correctly for hunting. I hate to spend much for one shooting session but it seems to get one that will stop the fletching from going in the target it will be well over a $100. I could shoot into a hill side but that could get expensive if I hit any stones . There often is a stone or two somewhere down in the ground it seems. I may have to check some local sporting goods & box stores to see what they are offering.
If you're only shooting it a few times a bag or box stuffed real tight with rags will do the trick.

·
2,880 Posts
If you are going to shoot broadheads a lot, then get a good broadhead target. Never had one, but the guys who have the fast crossbows swear by the Blob. I have a Rinehart 18-1, and it’s good enough, but IMHO, if you are going to shoot it a lot, it will wear out soon enough. Being the cheapskate that I am, I have a pair of well stuffed bag targets, and I use them to sight in broadheads as well. I fully agree with shooting every arrow and head to be sure it shoots the way I expect. When I’m done with broadhead sight in, I just put the bag in another 50 cent feed bag and go back to shooting field points. That may not work as well for really fast crossbows, and I know it doesn’t work well for cut on contact heads (they go right through sometimes).

F0425179-9AFA-4247-B62F-BC068637E1AF.jpeg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Waiting on my Matrix M1 target to arrive near the end of this month. Will give a review. Not a cheap target. But, neither is my R26 with all the accessories.

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
With the Matrix M1 target, the parts can be switched around as well as purchasing replacement parts.
Wishing you all the best.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just came across the Reinhart 18-1 blemish targets on ebay. $115 with shipping for a new target with painting blemish. I'm saving it for when I need a new target. I believe the regular price is just under $150

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
Never owned a Blob - how do they hold up to broadheads?
They are made for broadheads, you do not want to shoot a field point into one unless it has been shot a lot first. Impossible almost to pull one back out.
Great broadhead targets though. Best out there IMO.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts