Crossbow Nation banner

101 - 120 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
RAVIN R15 RAVIN R29X
363 Posts
You can keep the 80s I much prefer cold.
Weird I know.
That’s why we have beaches and mountains with snow.when it gets hot we go to the beach and to cool off drive up to the 12000 ft elevation and play in the snow. I’ll keep it lol!

·
Registered
RAVIN R15 RAVIN R29X
363 Posts
That actually sounds fun.
I have never been a fan of the hot environs the cold has always been my thing.
Although it sounds like you have both available.
Yes I rather the cold also Glock21 it’s good to choose. I hunt Axis Deer and Mouflon sheep here from sea level all the way up to around 10000 ft elevation and favor the high elevations.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Well, Monday morning I woke up to negative 15 here in southwest Kansas. Colder than a well diggers a$$. I deliver propane and every Tom dick and Harry was showing up like a Wendy’s drive thru to get bottles filled. People calling in left and right when they’re almost out of propane. We have roughly 4000 customers. groendyke transport has been brining a load every day and we’re still running low. Good for business though.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Woke up to zero here in ST Louis Mo. Did not go to farm this weekend which is 90 mile North. Talking high of 3 and low of -7 tonight. We are not use to this kind of extreme lows in MO and to dangerous for us .
Woke up to -40 Monday morning. I have two lab puppies that require potty breaks frequently. It’s been hell for all of us!

·
10,174 Posts
28° ... and snowing again.

·
Registered
Excalibur Mag 340
138 Posts
Looks like we’re headed for a high of 40 on Tuesday! I’ll be fishing perch and walleyes pretty soon if we keep this trend!

·
10,174 Posts
Wound up ... with about 6" of snow. Not enough for the big equipment. Ran my Honda Rancher plow up the sidewalk early, then down the otherside of the street for the neighbor's sidewalks. Later in the day I had a new tenant moving in so I took out my little crappy Toro 621E electric start that has rubber paddles for an auger. To it's credit, that machine cleans right down to the bare concrete. Surprisingly it was running like a top. Always have to start it with the starter motor but yesterday it ran strong. Just for laughs I restarted it with one pull on the pull start cord. Coulda knocked me over with a feather.

·
Registered
KI Swat xp
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Wound up ... with about 6" of snow. Not enough for the big equipment. Ran my Honda Rancher plow up the sidewalk early, then down the otherside of the street for the neighbor's sidewalks. Later in the day I had a new tenant moving in so I took out my little crappy Toro 621E electric start that has rubber paddles for an auger. To it's credit, that machine cleans right down to the bare concrete. Surprisingly it was running like a top. Always have to start it with the starter motor but yesterday it ran strong. Just for laughs I restarted it with one pull on the pull start cord. Coulda knocked me over with a feather.
View attachment 193066
Pulled my old wore out toro out of basement and was surprised how well it ran. Have not needed it in 4to5 years. When I was a kid we made a lot of money clearing neighbor driveways. STL just dont get much snow anymore. 13 degrees this am and above freezing daytime high predicted tomorrow.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
I’ve had a Toro 2450 for years. Set the choke on full, press the primer bulb 5 times, and 95% of the time it starts on the first full. The other 5% it starts on the 2nd pull. I’m on the 3rd set of rubber paddles and I just ordered another wear bar - just in case.

·
10,174 Posts
Pulled my old wore out toro out of basement and was surprised how well it ran. Have not needed it in 4to5 years. When I was a kid we made a lot of money clearing neighbor driveways. STL just dont get much snow anymore. 13 degrees this am and above freezing daytime high predicted tomorrow.
My 15 year Sheila ... before this one came with a small Toro snowblower. I think it was gas/oil mix and a little narrower than my 621. I know it was smaller anyway. (18"???) It too had rubber paddles which serve a purpose around here. When it finally died after giving yeoman service I figured to replace it. Went with a slightly wider 21" expecting the same good feeling about the machine and a little more versatility. Honestly, the 621 isn't the same. It seems like an entry level machine trying to do a bigger machine's job. Whereas the Sheila's Toro knew what it was; basically a 5" snowstorm, light snow and just sweeping down to bare surface after your bigger machine moved the lion's share of the snow. It was lightweight and agile. This machine has to be dragged across the lawn or gravel driveway because the paddles are what pull it through the snow. So the bigger 21" cut and bigger machine are a liability there. I didn't want to spring for the twice as expensive Honda with paddles because of the limited use added to the good results from the original little Toro. In retrospect, if I had it to do again, I'd buy one of the Honda machines with the rubber auger. Frankly, "I don't trust" the Toro. Every time I take it out I wonder if it's going to start, run, and keep running. It has done so, but sometimes it's taken 100 revolutions of the starter to start it, and sometimes it's run rough as a cement truck...lol I do trust Honda products.

·
5,152 Posts
Duke, there’s such a difference in the North and the South!

Down here, there’ll be an ad saying “Loving lady in the low 60’s , loves the outdoors and Redman , have boat and motor. Response, “Please send picture of boat and motor”.

Do you ever ask, “Please send picture of snow blower.”?

·
Registered
R10,furious 370
28 Posts
It warmed up to 27 here in wv but with the ice storm alot of people in the tri-state area without power,thank the lord that I didn't lose power

·
Registered
KI Swat xp
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #118

Down here, there’ll be an ad saying “Loving lady in the low 60’s , loves the outdoors and Redman , have boat and motor. Response, “Please send picture of boat and motor”.

Id be happy with pic of strong back and snow shovel.

·
10,174 Posts

Last foray ... into the NY megalopolis dating scene was an education. Things changed immensely in 15 years. Even older women have become politically radicalized and militantly against anyone or anything that isn't left wing. Conservative, Republican or God forbid a Trump supporter and you're updatable to them. Funny thing is they bitch about the lack of good men, yet they exclude 75% of them with politics. They're bitter, disenchanted and resolved to their fate, yet they are too blind to see THEY'RE their own worst enemy!

Realistically, most women have been largely "liberal" just by their biological nature. Being child bearers and nurturing part of their DNA. It's never been a big deal in the past. Heck, years ago I dated an ultra-liberal, vegetarian journalist newspaper editor for almost a year with no political problems between us. My new Sheila is a flaming liberal but she's a foreigner from a wealthy family who settled here 20 years ago. She was raised "in the old ways" and realizes if she wants a relationship with a "man" who can chop wood and fix a flat she has to compartmentalize the politics. Just like women have done for thousands of years.

I'm thinking those mail order brides from Russia or Asia might start to catch on considering how the women around here are unhinged and unapproachable...lol Come to think of it my son who had a hundred women chasing him when he was working in NYC is in a "Long Distance Relationship" with a women from a wealthy family in Mexico! Over the last few years I heard story after story from him about the totally screwed up women in NYC dating scene.

Our brave new "Age of Outrage" is soooo predictable if you can step back away from it and peer in from the outside. Everybody looking to be pissed off about anything and everything. I now laugh each morning as I peruse the news website headlines. It's all about finding the angle to be angry about "whatever" the subject is. It's not making for a happy world lately...lol Good thing I have a simplistic outlook on life. Gimmie a gun/crossbow, a decent pickup truck and enough money to get to the woods and I'm content. There IS an upside to being shallow ...lol :p

So, women around here don't have snowblowers or boats ...lol Just asking them for a picture of THEM and you're flirting with being labeled a sexist. :p 😂 Even mentioning you HAVE a snowblower makes you a suspected conservative. I can pass for prissy for a reasonable amount of time, so I got to meet a lot of the above women in the two years or so before I met my current Sheila. :)

Reactions: Glock21user and SEW
101 - 120 of 144 Posts