Crossbow Nation banner

121 - 140 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Temp is 17 with wind chill close to 4 degrees. I just got off work and going to sleep in warm bed to do it again tonight when it will be colder in north Texas.
18 degrees this morning in Georgetown, TX. I have a check station for deer at a COE Park and checked in a 8 point buck last night at 8:10pm, 17 inch spread, with a crossbow. Surprised anyone was out in this weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
KI Swat xp
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
18 degrees this morning in Georgetown, TX. I have a check station for deer at a COE Park and checked in a 8 point buck last night at 8:10pm, 17 inch spread, with a crossbow. Surprised anyone was out in this weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We have one word here in Missouri ( BOX BLIND )

·
5,152 Posts
I kept 1 doe tag. Had decided a month ago to not use it. A day or two ago from my kitchen window. 5 F this morning. I’m feeding them but not shooting them. They’re just trying to survive.

·
Registered
KI Swat xp
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Iron Duke

Joined May 13, 2009
10,137 Posts
Your a better man than me. I cant deal with liberal woman. Here in MO only 60% are true libs.

·
Registered
KI Swat xp
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
I kept 1 doe tag. Had decided a month ago to not use it. A day or two ago from my kitchen window. 5 F this morning. I’m feeding them but not shooting them. They’re just trying to survive.

Do you guys loose many deer do to the weather.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
We lose a lot of deer in winter. It's pretty sad.

At least the elk are much tougher and can handle winter.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
We lose a lot of deer in winter. It's pretty sad.

At least the elk are much tougher and can handle winter.
I would think having longer legs is a plus.

·
Premium Member
3,069 Posts
Wow, just looked out and thought our thermometer was broken showing 40F.
Went out back with our Dog, sun is shining and getting up high in the sky.
What a relief.
Hope it's better where you are at!

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
We are just hanging still, but big weather changes coming next week. The deer are lucky this is such a short snap of cold with to much snow to dig for their food. The ones I have witnessed the past few days are either bedded or if I catch them feeding their feeding on what little edible weeds that are still tall enough to get some easy picking from, they don't waste their energy when the food source is no greater in nutrition than what they will burn to get it. Locus pods seem to their hot source right now.

Even in the fields the tracks are their, but they are just traveling and don't see where they been digging to get to any ground food such as the deeply covered winter wheat and dropped grain from harvest, but in the woods they are digging heavy for those areas where the Locus been pods are abundant.

They also seem to be intelligent enough to move earlier in the evening while temps are still up a bit. Moving to feed earlier than they have been, and bedding earlier to conserve energy before the lowest temps hit. This what always made me love late season hunting over early season, their sources are fewer, and their survival giving them no choice but to move in the heat of the day, last light, and go for the easiest most nutritious food source available,,,, plus when it gets this cold in the single digits and sub zero,, the competition is home on their couch!!! ;)

So season might be out, and I'm hobbling a bit, but have been able to get some easy looks here this past week, it's so easy to find them and know when they will be their!

I kicked this old girl up coming in, and wouldn't you know it,, here she was again about an hour later going back out, not 20 or 30 feet from where I bumped her and 2 others, surprisingly she didn't bother getting up, as I was about 50 or 60 yards from her and not getting any closer, since she didn't jump, the other two a bit farther behind her just watched her and not me, I swear they know when to conserve their energy and knew I was no threat after our first encounter. It was obvious it was the same deer but the mark left from an irresponsible shot in here left ear, pretty sure the other two were hers?

These guy's caught me dropping down into this bottom, early about 4:30pm looked like they had just dropped down out of thicket at the top of the hill they were on, I think eating locus pods as there are a few along this hillside. But only about a 100 to 125 yards from me, didn't take off till I started to move, I think hoping they could stick around and feed, but decided it wasn't worth the risk. Their were 6 in all here but the others were a little further up the hill in more cover.

We hit the low 20's here yesterday, and should again today, but still seeing lower single digits at night, couple more days of that with getting close to zero one more night then we should be staying in the teens and above and next week a thaw3 starting. It was great while lasted, but with St Paty's day just 3 weeks away,,, them Walleye are expecting it to all be gone and them rivers flushing it for them to find and come a runn'n!!

Thank God for a small taste of real 4 seasons weather!! (y)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am sitting on about 12.5 inches of snow, the little John Deere 650 did fine.
The IH T5 crawler with a county blade will hit the blown in deep drifts and if those fail a ballasted IH 706 or the John Deere backhoe will work well.
And I reckon if all of that fails then I need to stay home anyhow.

·
10,174 Posts
Any testing available first?
I'm not ... sure what the warrantee and return policy is ...lol I do know the Chinese are notorious for being technology thieves and supplying us with crappy products, so I'm thinking it's "Caveat emptor." 😂 ;)

On a personal note, I only dated two Asian women and had three Asian tenants. The tenants all struck me as being "slick." Meaning they "thought" they were two steps ahead of you during a conversation, showed an unwillingness to trust and were frugal. My beloved and brilliant cousin once told me about 50 years ago "be cautious with Asian women, they're passively aggressive." I've seen nothing to refute that in my personal dealings with them. Yet, my cousin who flew B52's during the Vietnam war has been married to an Asian for 50 years, so whatda I know???...lol:unsure:😂

As for Russian brides, I had this one burly, handsome and very personable Ironworker working for me who was an extraordinary ladies' man. We were in a go-go bar filled with Russian dancers having our lunch while working on the old Giant's Stadium. He mentioned you have to watch Russian women because they're not adverse to plunging a bread knife in your chest if you piss them off. Couldn't say for sure, but I'll defer to his vastly superior experience...lol

So my advice to anyone considering dating in 2021 is like Thornton Mellon said in the movie "Back to School:"
"It’s a jungle out there." "You gotta look out for number one." "But don’t step in number two."
"Don’t go! It’s rough out there! Stay in school!"

Just substitute "stay with your wife or girlfriend" for stay in school.:p;)

Reactions: Glock21user

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
UPDATE! What a flip in our winter wonderland!

Well we had a little winter with a wake up temp of 1* yesterday morning. Kinda Shot up from their to a balmy 36 about midnight and woke to a muggy melting howling 34* this morning, what a flip? But the wind this morning is making that snow we finally got disappear quick, @ 16-20 with gust to 30 forecast for the rest of the day.

It was cool while lasted, but in my opinion winter should last more than 2 weeks, I hardly call this a season. We are forecast back to above normal temps for the next week with 40's again in our future. :censored:

Reactions: Glock21user

·
Registered
68 Posts

sew: if available a pile of rice bran high in protein will help that pod of does.

had snow in alabama north of Montgomery but nothing like texas. the southeast fared much better than west. got close but never even hit the teens at night. low 37 high 70 today.

...and i'll add the original thornton mellon my fav. Rodney D. line: "my wife is terrible just terrible, she thinks fu-king and coo-king are two cities in China."

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Well I didn't reset the outdoor weather station so not sure this AM, but were at 50.9 right now. So their goes my little recreation spot I been playing at for the past week waiting to get back into the Doctor. With these temps its all over for any hopes of anything close to a real winter in NW Ohio,,, unless you just want 10 days or so of winter a year?

Reactions: SEW

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
A bit colder today, 78

121 - 140 of 144 Posts