Crossbow Nation banner

What is the most important feature you look for when buying a new crossbow?

• Speed

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Price

• Accuracy

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Design/ Looks

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Good Trigger

Whats Important To you?????

3K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  KodiakIslandArchery 
#1 ·
What is the most important feature to you when looking to purchase a new crossbow?

#2 ·
from what you have listed I'd say accuracy is #1 for me with a good trigger being a very close second(IMO the two kind of go hand in hand), it would be so close it would almost be a tie

design/looks and speed would be the same deal, design/looks would be somewhat more important and so I'd put it at #3 with speed a close forth, but both still very close to #1&#2

price is a little further down the list and is less of a concern for me its not as much in the tight little "group" the others

one other thing thats right on the top of the list for me is warranty/customer service, if that were on the list it would probably be at #3 and #1, #2, and #3 would be pretty much a tie

just my opinions though

#3 ·
For what it's worth...

As noted below are number one -

1. How is fits. Is it comfortable? Does my trigger hand fit the stock?
1. Accuracy
1. Design

The most accurate bow out there isn't much good if your trigger finger doesn't fit right and you can't get your cheek set right!

Paint job, looks, etc. are secondary.

Price is last in line. If I really want it...I'll figure out a way (we are talking crossbows right?).

Mike

#4 ·
I think there is so little difference in accuracy

and most crossbows are more accurate than we shooters can take advantage of, I would not make it top priority. Neither can I pick just one most important feature. For me it would be a combination of several features that should be considered..... like feel, light weight, quiet, minimum recoil, etc. As to quality or lack thereof, there are several brands of crossbows I don't own just because from what I've experienced, seen and heard, they don't measure up to what I would expect in a crossbow and, yes, they are on the least expensive end of the scale so maybe that (quality) IS the most important feature for me:confused::hurray:

#6 ·
Urban Legend said:
With nobody picking speed so far on the poll, why do you think that is one of all the manufacturers key advertising points. Would you guys be willing to give up speed in exchange for a quieter bow? How about for a crisper trigger? Just wondering;)

IMO its the male ego... no matter what it is the male ego always has to have the best/badest around, and in the archery world that means the highest priced and fastest speed, and alot of people are willing to give up all else just to have that bragging right, however speed alone doenst seem to be enough(or the barnetts would be a top of the line CB) it has to the fastest AND the highest priced...

I'm guilty of it too, speed isnt really a big concern of mine but I'll admit that one of the first things I look at in a bow(verticle or CB) is its speed rating...

fortunately there are guys around that realise that theres more important things involved than highest speed, or even price(myself included), and are willing to compromise and give up the "male ego" thing to have a more all around better package, especially in a hunting bow

I wouldnt give up speed entirely, but I'd give up a fair amount in exchange for a better trigger or to gain some quietness, I like the best of both worlds...

#7 ·
Whats important

I do not think speed is the most important aspect in a crossbow.
The crossbow for me is a bow that includes many of the best features that all come togather to make a great bow.

I was not aware that Barnett makes the fastest and most expensive crossbows.

#9 ·
It's a male thing BUT

If one buys a crossbow based on speed alone he's quite possibly making a big mistake. I think the more experience a person has with crossbows the more likely they will place speed down the list of importance.

#11 ·
If it does what the company says it will do than I am happy, but above all is how the company treats me in the event of a warranty claim. I go where customer service is taken seriously.
My bow has been broken 3 times by sheer neglect, all three times my bow was repaired or replaced the same day with a smile as well as being thanked for my business. Who does that these days??
If it shoots straight, works well when used as described and backed by a lifetime warranty, you have found a winner.

#12 ·
Well I bought a Tenpoint xbow and knew that know matter what xbow model I got from them it was going to be accurate ! So then the first thing I thought about was $ how much did I want too spend ! Well I would have loved to drop 1700.00 to 2000.00 on a Phantom , but I had to come back down to earth and think more realistically . So that put me in a 800.00 range , than I thought that I wanted to be at least 300fps ! Profusion equals that , thats how I got into the xbow I shoot ! So I guess that first money was a factor than speed !I

#13 ·
Urban Legend said:
With nobody picking speed so far on the poll, why do you think that is one of all the manufacturers key advertising points. Would you guys be willing to give up speed in exchange for a quieter bow? How about for a crisper trigger? Just wondering;)
i would be willing to give up some speed for both of those items. a deer that gets whacked won't know if that bolt was flying at 425 fps, 325 fps or 280 fps. lets be serious here, this bolt starts at zero and ends up at the ENDZONE of a FOOTBALL FIELD in a second that deer will be just as dead with the loss of 45 fps we are talking about MILISECONDS. :confused:

#14 ·
what i like to see in a crossbow

When looking to purchase a crossbow,it is the look and design that hook's me and then it has to handle well,with good trigger accuracy,speed,and not too loud and it has to be well thought out and well made with low wear on serving and of course a sound lifelong guarantee and a price tag that say's good value for the money.Oh before i forget good accessorie's to go with the crossbow,Phil Abrahams.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.