Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
11,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would you like to see in future models?

·
Banned
364 Posts
Personally I'd like to see the price come down a whole lot. Living on a declining income it's hard to justify the prices for the top of the line crossbows; be it BowTec or other manufacturers :D

·
Hunter
6,187 Posts
Hey Stryker,For future buyers a Quiver mount would be nice.

·
11,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pricing is an interesting subject for sure

Ten Point has 2 crossbows now at $2,000.00 and $2,500.00. It's what the market will bear but keep in mind that TP also has crossbows down in the $599.00 range. I personally think Bowtech's Desert Stryker, at it's price point, is a deal but I also realize some folks simply can't or won't spend over $500.00 for a crossbow. That point could possibly lead to a recommendation to Bowtech to see if they would be interested in developing a crossbow to compete in the $600.00 range. A "Woodland Stryker" that's 2" shorter and lighter weight than the the existing DS in this price range would be an instant success in my opinion. I'd have to have one!!!!:)

·
Banned
364 Posts
I think people will pay over $500 for a good bow but when the prices climb to over $1000, that culls out a lot of people.:)

·
11,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess we could say the same thing about

a $500.00 crossbow:eek: I know guys that had to buy very used crossbows because they have to feed their kids and the kids come first.

·
221 Posts
This is actually a really good point.

What would you be willing to compromise on to get the cost of a crossbow down?

Less speed?
More physical weight?
No camo?
No anodizing?
Increased trigger weight?
Plastic cams?
etc.

There is nothing for free in this world.

What would you be willing to live without that could shave off cost from a crossbow?

StoredEnergy

·
Hunter
6,187 Posts
StoredEnergy said:
This is actually a really good point.

What would you be willing to compromise on to get the cost of a crossbow down?

Less speed?
More physical weight?
No camo?
No anodizing?
Increased trigger weight?
Plastic cams?
etc.

There is nothing for free in this world.

What would you be willing to live without that could shave off cost from a crossbow?

StoredEnergy
None of the above!

·
221 Posts
Discourse is a two way dialog. What would you recommend?

I was trying to understand a customer that wants a premium components and not pay a premium price.

·
11,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Let's look at it from a different angle for a moment

Do you think Ten Point's cost to build a Phantom is 4 times that of a Pro Slider? I don't think so. I have both. I hunt with the Pro Slider. My point is that crossbow manufacturers that don't offer a full range (price) of crossbows are missing the boat. The only thing the Phantom does that the Pro Slider doesn't is it shoots arrows at 340 fps (Pro slider 295 fps). I guess somewhere around the bottom line "ego" is lurking and that's worth a lot of money to some folks:D :D The first question asked quite often is "how fast is it"?:rolleyes:

·
Hunter
6,187 Posts
StoredEnergy said:
Discourse is a two way dialog. What would you recommend?

I was trying to understand a customer that wants a premium components and not pay a premium price.

It all depends on what you want and can afford.
Always buy the best you can afford.

I really wish every person could buy a Crossbow with high quality, premium components,and a proven track record,first rate service,life time warranty at a real low price.
But,
That type of purchase rarely happens,however there are good Crossbows available at several price brackets.
You pretty much get what you pay for.

That is why there are Cadillacs and Kias.But they will both go 60 MPH.

·
190 Posts
I would like them to discontinue the Stryker. Move the chain drive system into a Desert Stryker Deluxe bow and then come out with a cheaper price point that will shoot perhaps about 300fps for those that compete or can't afford a the new Deluxe Desert Stryker and the Desert Stryker. Oh yes and follow Moonkryket's idea of private labeling a Zeiss reddot. A Zeiss Conquest xbow scope in say 2.5, 3 or 4 power would rock too. Not cheap but the glass is everything.

·
327 Posts
I guess I fall into the "struggling married guy with kids category". When I bought my new compund in 07, I bought a Matthews LX. The LX was being discontinued that year and Igot mine for $399.00. It was a steal and I jumped on it. When my friend got me into crossbows, he owned/sold/returned a Darton Impact, a Stryker, a Horton Recurve, and now he owns a Desert Stryker with woodland camo and is looking to sell that and possibly get into a Darton Lightning.

I couldn't afford, nor justify to my wife, $500 for a crossbow let alone $750 to $800 for some of the models I tried and liked. I have a special needs six year old, a son in college and another daughter one year away from college. My money is pretty much spoken for til I'm in my 70's. I wanted a crossbow and haunted every e-bay auction I could find. With my limited finds I kept getting outbid until finally I won one (I still don't understand how or why but I won't question it).

For me, I don't need blistering speed or whisper quiet, but I'm more concerned with reliability and durability. I want my purchase to last me a good long time and be as hassle free as possible. My free tiime is rare and fleeting so when I pick up my xbow I want a trouble free experience. My bow isn't the fastest and it isn't the prettiest, but I know I'll be able to shoot it a long time and enjoy it. That, to me, is the most important thing.

Maybe Ten Point can make the "Married Man with kids Mark 4" Crossbow and price it for guys like me. I've accepted the fact that I'll never be able to afford a Desert Stryker or a Phantom or a Stryker; simply out of my price range. But, there are plenty of decent used and /or discontinued products in the marketplace for a savvy consumer. My Mathews bow is great and I love shooting it, I loved the price even more. Perhaps Bowtech can make a "Desert Dad" version of their crossbow? I'd wager there'd be a market for such a product.

Another option is lay-away. THere's a place in Milford where I can put an x-bow on lay away for up to a year provided I make steady payments. That store has a nice recurve and I'm looking at my personal budget to see if I can make it work and still have gas to get to work etc. It'll probably mean no more morning coffee and muffin but I can apply that luxury to something I want even more and NOT affect my family budget.

I'll sacrifice speed and whisper silence and accept another half pound in mass if the bow is reliable and a solid value. That's what me and guys like me are looking for (forgive me guys like me for speaking for all of us).

Well, I'm sorry for posting so long. But I saw this thread and just had to weigh in.

·
11,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sparhawk

Nice post.

My wish list for Bowtech for 09:

Continue with the Desert Stryker.

Design and offer a string changing harness that can be purchased seperately for the DS.

Offer a shorter/lighter weight version of the DS in the 300 fps range.

Offer a chain drive cocking device (option) for the shorter version for folks that can't use a rope cocker.

Find ways to get the price down into the $795.00 range on the shorter version with rope cocker.

Offer a sensible quiver attachment system that places the quiver where it should be :) :) (see below)

Offer a crossbow-only and package version of each. Some folks refuse to buy a bunch of stuff they don't want or need in order to get the crossbow they want.

Attachments

·
Banned
364 Posts
I would love to own a DS, but it is not in my budget. I would also like to own a laminate stocked Ten Point Phantom but those are even more ridicilously priced!
I think Bow Tech and Ten Point need to back off the pricing on their high end CB's. They have put them out of reach for the average buyer.

·
Hunter
6,187 Posts
What?

Any one who owns or shoots the phantom or Desert Stryker knows they are a quality product.Yes, they are pricey,but you can bet they are watching supply and demand very closely.

Somebody continues to buy them.They would not continue to make them if not.

I also noticed the used higher in Crossbows hold ther value very well.

I would not want any company to cut quality for a few dollars saved in price.

·
11,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't think quality is the issue

:)My Pro Slider is every bit the quality of my Phantom. It's just not as glamorous. My point is that nobody will convince me that a Phantom cost TP 3 to 4 times more to build than a Pro Slider. That's not the way it works. When you pay 2K for a Phantom you are buying speed, unique "hi tech" design and a few little "bells and whistles" you don't get on the $499.00 bow. It's about marketing and profit. I'd do the same thing if the company was mine. IMHO the Pro slider, for example, is a much better hunting crossbow for a good majority of folks, especially us older folks that are weight sensitive. A 10 lb crossbow just doesn't cut it for me for long treks to my stands and I ceratainly can kill a deer with a 285 fps crossbow. The Phantom and Desert Stryker are the high performance equivalent of a Viper or Corvette in autos. Go price them:D

I do think both comapnies should try to lower their prices a little even on the higher end models and Bowtech needs to find ways to intro a lower priced model for guys that cannot afford a $1,500 crossbow. I think that will be more difficult for them because they'd likely have to revert to a conventional style crossbow and that does not fit in with their hi tech direction. JMO:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts