Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know it's a stupid question, but most times you walk in the wood to go hunting you have something on your back stand, pack, blind, so how many of you have or use a sling and for what? So what a good sling to go with? And what to look for in a sling? If anything?

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
I don’t usually have a pack. So I carry out my crossbow and sometimes will catty the bow while climbing in my tree stand. Lately I have been lengthening the sling for my sits in the stand and put the bow in front of me. it takes some of the fatigue out of holding the bow. The blue force gear slings are great for adjusting on the fly.

Reactions: JOE PA

·
Registered
407 Posts
And can also be used to steady an off hand shot.
An old friend and hunting partner showed me this years ago. If I'm shooting offhand I always use that braced military hold. It's really well suited for a forward heavy weapon like a crossbow.
✌DF

·
14,044 Posts
Ultimate Gun Slings ... works for me. Doesn't slip on your shoulder. I also have a couple Browning slings that can be adjusted easily with one hand. I'd get in the stand and take all the slack out of them. Other than the obvious uses for a sling, I rest my crossbow unattended on the rail diagonally and hold the sling as emergency tether in case it should go over the side. (which it has never done...lol)

·
4,550 Posts
Don't like them never use one. IMO it's just something else to stink, move or make noise while hunting. Or forget if i take it off while i'm hunting. And it's just so i don't have to carry the bow. I would rather carry it and guard the strings/cables against brush and briers. I can uncock my bows place one limb on/over a shoulder holding the butt plate in my hand and move through the brush unhindered and protect the strings. Even with a wide Excalibur.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I always use a sling and wouldn't think of crossbow hunting without it. I some times hoof it for a hundred yards or more to a stand. Why in the world would I want to care my crossbow any other way? I also never ever take it off when hunting from a treestand. There's simply no need for me. Nonetheless, like anything else, it really depends on how you hunt and where you hunt and your personal preference.
For instance, I never use a backpack. I've found a fanny pack is a much better choice for me.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts