Crossbow Nation banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I tried many types of slings on my crossbow but when I finally tried the ultimate sling, I knew my search was over. I use it and a backpack on my treks to my stand.
Sometimes strap the backpack to the ATV rack and sling the crossbow across my back. The ultimate sling puts an end to the sling slipping off your shoulder.

·
Premium Member
5,941 Posts
I tried many types of slings on my crossbow but when I finally tried the ultimate sling, I knew my search was over. I use it and a backpack on my treks to my stand.
Sometimes strap the backpack to the ATV rack and sling the crossbow across my back. The ultimate sling puts an end to the sling slipping off your shoulder.
I use the same on my crossbow and rifles! Those things will spoil a feller.......

Reactions: SavedWretch

·
Registered
Excalibur Equinox, Micro Mag 340
489 Posts

·
14,039 Posts
To the OP I guess you’ve never walked for miles with your xbow. If you don’t need a sling, that’s awesome.
I was ... out in the Pacific on a 53,000 acre island killing mule deer and elk and supplied with the typical bull barreled, suppressed 13lb .223 Rem with no sling! Chief didn't believe in them. One day I was up and down canyons walking for miles. Finally took off my belt and jury-rigged a sling so I could climb with both hands. You realize how valuable a sling is in certain circumstances. In a treestand I'd carry a short length of paracord so I could tether and hang those "no sling" heavy rifles over the side to quickly get down and haul carcasses out of sight. To this day there's a length of paracord in my backpack. Comes in handy now and then. A sling is mandatory to my way of thinking.

·
Registered
245 Posts
First time my Father in law took me hunting he handed me a shotgun with no sling. We went all over the property for two days, several tree stands and ground blinds. Miles and miles through the snow and 10 degree weather. I thought he hated me by the end of the weeknd every time I watched him holster his 45cal Encore transformer pistol. I bought him a sling for Christmas that year, next time I saw it he had it installed on his 450 Bushmaster.

Made sure to visit with a sling in my bag during the season from there on out until I moved to Ohio as well. I put a 2 point sling on everything, I like quick adjusts for my non hunting stuff but prefer "The Ultimate Gun Sling" for stuff I carry for hunting. Single point slings are cool and all but not functional at all for transport (hoofing it, climbing obstacles) and off hand shooting.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I was ... out in the Pacific on a 53,000 acre island killing mule deer and elk and supplied with the typical bull barreled, suppressed 13lb .223 Rem with no sling! Chief didn't believe in them. One day I was up and down canyons walking for miles. Finally took off my belt and jury-rigged a sling so I could climb with both hands. You realize how valuable a sling is in certain circumstances. In a treestand I'd carry a short length of paracord so I could tether and hang those "no sling" heavy rifles over the side to quickly get down and haul carcasses out of sight. To this day there's a length of paracord in my backpack. Comes in handy now and then. A sling is mandatory to my way of thinking.
Your Chief was too old school for your own good, was he still out there sloggin around with you and an "Anchor" of his own to carry??? Sounds like he is from the "I sucked it up and so will you" camp.

·
14,039 Posts
Your Chief was too old school for your own good, was he still out there sloggin around with you and an "Anchor" of his own to carry??? Sounds like he is from the "I sucked it up and so will you" camp.
Exactly ... I call him "The Spartan." 😂 One tough SOB. Played linebacker in college and hit one guy so hard that he broke his own back. If there's a hard way and an easy way of doing something seemed he'd take the hard way and it WILL be done better than the easy way. :oops:;) A rare combination of well educated, mechanically inclined, AND street smart. I could tellya stories ...lol He's mellowed over the years. Two decades ago he practically sneered when I brought a little backpack and tossed it in the bed of the truck. I got away with it because there were only a couple steady guys back then and I was a part-timer. Now every shooter carries a self-determined backpack. He'll embrace change and improvements in equipment readily. I upgraded all the weapon lights from about 20 lumen incandescing bulbs with a red lens cover Surefires to the latest 300 lumen LED reds. First time I shot with those old lights I lit up some deer at 30 yards it looked like a bunch of glowing red eyed Ewoks staring back at me. I could barely make out the outline of their heads for a head shot. (all shots are head for required AVMA euthanasia) It was eerie and difficult shooting at the same time. Once they scattered any shot passed about 50 yards was fohgettaboutit. Last February I killed one at 158 yards with a Fenix HT18. "Progress."
I introduced thermal spotters when they first showed up. Now every shooter carries one. They used to tell if deer were near by listening to them eating. I can't hear crap so I had to work around that...lol
I Introduced battery powered handheld spotlights for drive & shoot; spotter/shooter situations to replace the 12vt handhelds with wires running to cigarette lighters in the truck. There are no ego issues when it comes to embracing anything new one guy comes up with. I will say, he's seen every CF, and GF imaginable so there's usually a good reason why he wanted things done a certain way. And, we operate on our own much of the time so there's independent thinking and trust involved too. You're on your own, just don't muck it up.:p ;) Lotta pressure on a lodda levels.🤯☠😂

·
Registered
16,316 Posts
I use a sling to walk back and forth but remove it when I get to the stand/blind. Can't live without it.
I do the same. All I have other than the factory slings (which I dont like) is a rubber sling from Walmart. The rubber sticks and the bow isnt sliding off your shoulder constantly. I also use the sling when on the 4 wheeler. I dont want the bow bouncing in holders mounted onto the 4 wheeler.

Reactions: LonewolfMcquade

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have used a single point sling for a number of years while hunting in tree stands. I can sit with the bow on my lap or hanging over my leg and be ready instantly for a shot. I don't use it for walking or in a shack. The sling attaches to the rear of the crossbow and is out of the way. It is comfortable and there is no fear of dropping the crossbow out of a tree. I wear the sling like the the guy in the picture: 🔥 One Single Point Rifle Sling Tactical Gun Sling Strap with Length Adjustable | eBay

·
Registered
13 Posts
I always have a pack and I sling.

I use an old rifle sling with Uncle Mike's type swivels. If I went out to buy one I would likely buy the same as holes are built in for that - or I would buy a Magpul MS1. I like the MS slings on rifles.

·
Registered
8,210 Posts
I know it's a stupid question, but most times you walk in the wood to go hunting you have something on your back stand, pack, blind, so how many of you have or use a sling and for what? So what a good sling to go with? And what to look for in a sling? If anything?
AR-15 style single sling is next level walk-in experience when you have a climber on your back. It balances the Xbow out in front of you. HuntersThompson turn me onto this. Only way I walk-in anymore. Tuck the butt stock under your arm pit and forget about it.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I know it's a stupid question, but most times you walk in the wood to go hunting you have something on your back stand, pack, blind, so how many of you have or use a sling and for what? So what a good sling to go with? And what to look for in a sling? If anything?
Its how I carry to the stand. On a tree or ground. I sling it over my small pack strap--fits OK. As soon as I'm in the stand I take it off the bow EVERY time--can get in the way.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts