Crossbow Nation banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
What back up? I think I have collected enough now to just leave one in every blind? :ROFLMAO:

I do like having at least two similar bows set up pretty much the same. I want everything to look and feel the same with a primary and a back up if I need it. Less room for error for me.

·
Registered
7,215 Posts
Mine is a twin of my primary and sporting the ATN, far from a lightweight. Both are Wrath 430X.
Gas Automotive tire Grass Auto part Camera accessory

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
A Tikka T3x lite stainless .243, Norma 100grn soft points. November firearm but hopefully I have venison in the freezer with my WR Rampage 360 by then so I don't have to rely on backup that much.
Lol. I put the 30-30 down as well as the muzzleloaders. Still have a couple. This archery habit is way more fun.

·
Registered
297 Posts
A Tikka T3x lite stainless .243, Norma 100grn soft points. November firearm but hopefully I have venison in the freezer with my WR Rampage 360 by then so I don't have to rely on backup that much.
Hope your hunting open country with that 243
Here in WV hills and brush no good. 45-70 325 gr Hornady.. 😆😆

·
Registered
648 Posts
After 35 years of not having a backup bow, I bought a used CP Patriot 415 to back me up last fall. I never even consider a backup bow all these years, & I've never lost a day of bowhunting due to an equipment failure. I feel fortunate about that. My two most recent bows have been a Mathews Signature (1996-2012 seasons), and my Prime Impact (2013-present). I didn't buy a crossbow, because of any concern for my bow. I bought a crossbow to back me up. I was fighting some wrist & shoulder pain from a fall the year before.

Not knowing what I really wanted in a crossbow at the time, I took the safe route. I bought a used CP from Rich on the forum. It came with the trigger job already done, scope upgraded, brush bolt retainer added, and scope level added. Plus, it was sighted with the FMJ bolts that came with it. If I needed to switch over to a crossbow in a hurry, I knew that I was set to go. I also bought it knowing it wouldn't be my forever crossbow, & owning a used crossbow has helped me sort through what is important to me.

I really think there are some really good options in the $1,000-2,000 price range from various brands (Ten Point, Ravin, Mission, & Excalibur). I also feel the Excalibur Mag 340, & the CP Wrath 430X are great options for under $1,000.

Compound bows are a bit boring these days. If I were to replace my current compound, the specs on a new one would be almost identical. I don't see myself ever replacing it. So I have enjoyed exploring the realm of crossbows the past couple years on the forum. Even though I am still clinging to my compound bow, I don't sense any judgment. I suspect many have gone down the path I am currently on, & I appreciate that.

So this concept of having a backup bow is still a bit new to me. Does that really justify someone owning 5+ crossbows? :)

If you love something, justification isn't necessary! I enjoy everyone's willingness to share on this forum. It's a nice place to hang out! Makes me glad I have a crossbow in my closet! :)

21 - 40 of 47 Posts