Crossbow Nation banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
14,039 Posts
I bought a new ... 12ga slug-gun. I'm trying to decide which of these optics that I own to mount on it.
#1. Vortex Viper 3-15x44mm PST Gen2 illuminated
#2. Zeiss Duralyt 3-12x50mm illuminated.
#3. 4-12x42mm Burris Eliminator II. Ranging and auto illuminated crosshair adjusting for trajectory.
#4. Vortex Viper 2.5-10x44mm XBR illuminated. (Original factory 75 yard parallax)
#5. ATN X-Sight Day/Night ... which brings me to my backup crossbow since the ATN Night Vision unit now sits on my Scorpyd Velocity.

I played with that Velocity/ATN last night to test the ability of the ATN X-Sight for use on my new Slug-gun for nighttime depredation use. That Scorpyd back-up crossbow is so huge I wonder if I would ever use it again! Trying to sight out one of my 52"-bathroom windows was a joke compared to my Ravin R29X. I don't think I could ever go back to a bow that big.

·
14,039 Posts
#2...has to have the best glass on that list?
It is ... Best optically, and the best illuminated single dot ever put in a scope. The negative with the Zeiss is the 110 yard parallax setting. It doesn't have an adjustable objective lens. My depredation shooting starts at about 30-40 yards and I like pretty high magnification. The best I can get out of that scope is about 6x in close or it's too out of focus. Right now that scope is on a Benelli M2 slug-gun in 20ga that I'm probably going to sell.

The Vortex 3-15x PST is ideal with great magnification choices, decent glass and adjustable objective but the illuminated reticle is insanely busy. You have to "zone-out" and look through all that clutter to concentrate on your target. I sometimes concentrate too much on my target so this multiplies that weakness by "forcing" disregard for the crosshair.

The Vortex XBR at 10x isn't really in the running. I have a Zeiss 3-9x on the Benelli and I want more than 9x going forward.

The Burris Eliminator2 is decent glass, has the auto-ranging POA adjustment, but it too doesn't have an adjustable objective. Oddly enough, it will focus well at 8x-9x at 30 yards compared to the Zeiss 6x. Right now that's what I threw on the Winchester but haven't had the chance to sight it in. With the ballistics of a 12ga slug this optic has the noteworthy characteristic of automatically adjusting your POA holdover.

The ATN is still in the discovery stage. The picture quality at 40 yards in the dark even with a Surefire M1-IR illuminator was crumby. The M1 Surefire is a very small illuminator that lights up great for a PVS14 but isn't that "bright." I have much more powerful IR illuminators that I'll test when I get back to it. The ATN daytime picture quality is acceptable.

VORTEX PST reticle.
Parallel Font Symmetry Slope Circle

41 - 47 of 47 Posts