Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I'm interested in hearing what most people are getting the best performance from in the field of quality carbon arrows?

Myself, I'm a Carbon Express Maxima Blue Streak Select shooter. I use these shafts both during competitive shooting as well as in the woods with my broadheads. Although I purchase only shafts and finish them off after spine testing and nock aligning, I find them extremely versatile, well made and consistent.

Please let me know what you like and how they perform for you?

Regards,

Xbow755

·
Registered
356 Posts
Accuspines / Black Eagles

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Tim50 and BD1,
In what lengths are you shooting these shafts and what spine or other characteristics, if any.

I'm getting ready to order and build another set of arrows and I wanted to look at some
New possibilities.

Currently I use Carbon Express Maxima Blue Streak Select 250's, w/ 2"
Blazer Vanes.

Regards,

Xbow755

·
Registered
356 Posts
What bow are u using

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi BD1,
The bow I use most often these days is a Mathews Monster MR7 at 28" draw length and 64 lbs.

I know that the name Mathews is not unknown to most archers, but what I don't think is well known or understood are the specifics about the Monster MR7 bow. Let's face it Mathews produces a number of Monster Bows with different brace heights, but what most people don't know is that after Mathews produced the "Drenalin" series, they suffered a great number of complaints from their customers about losing the smooth, easy draw cycle that some of their older bows produced.

The Monster MR7 was developed by Matt McPherson to specifically address this issue. People with shoulder problems and older archers in general would find this specific bow a dream come true when it comes to the ease at which it comes back, rolls over the Cams and because of an 80 percent let-off, the hold at full draw is also very easy. With an IBO rating of 343 fps. it allows one to shoot a lighter draw weight very comfortably and still deliver the goods down range effectively.

The last three deer I shot with this bow were complete pass-thru shots using standard 100 grain fixed blade broadheads. I get excellent performance from my current arrows,but Carbon Extreme Blue Streak Selects are a bit expensive to use on deer. I'm looking for something just a little bit less expensive for when I'm in the woods.

Regards,

Xbow755

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
When I started shooting a modern compound first it was the aluminum Easton XX78 Super Slam out of a Mathews Drenalin and then Carbon Express Maxima Hunter 350s out of the Drenalin and now it's the Carbon Express Maxima 250 and Carbon Express Maxima Blue Streak interchangeably out of both the Drenalin and my DXT. I think that all three of the carbon arrows I shoot are more consistent and accurate than I am.

The photo of the “Robin Hoods” could be interpreted to provide evidence both the CX 250 and 350 shoot to the same POA consistently but it could also mean I shoot a lot. And since 7 of the 10 are CX 350s apparently I have shot more 350s or the 350 is more accurate.

I think it's kind of interesting that one of the reasons I shoot the CX Maximas is that they cost a little more. If I remember correctly, I went into a local bow shot and told the owner I wanted to shoot a lighter arrow and he pointed at the Carbon Express box. And they were a little pricey so I thought, “Well, they must be good.”.

I don't know if they're any better than other arrows though. In fact, I recently saw a YouTube video where the tester was trying to determine if they were genuinely weight forward as advertised. So he cut one in half and both the front half and back half weighed the same. So? In any case, like I said above I think they're more consistent than I am. I'm the weak point in the arrow/archer link.

Cam, in the video, shoots Easton Full Metal Jackets. It's kind of hard to argue against the results he gets. But he suggests he or others could do as well with other brands.
http://youtu.be/ld0kOyzu2PQ

Attachments

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi jackpine,
Very much like yourself, I shoot all year round, so I rarely have much down time other than a few weeks during the dead of winter, unless I'm competing indoors or shooting a league.

BTW - The robinhoods are a good sign that you also have your equipment well tuned otherwise all the shooting in the world wouldn't produce that many results of that type!

Like yourself,I used to hunt exclusively with Easton XX78's, but in recent years I cut to the Blue Streak Selects. Currently, I'm in the process of building a set of Carbon Express Maxima Hunter Red's and have another dozen Maxima Blue Streak Select Raw Shafts on the way.

These new shafts are being used for some testing using a Frequency Analyzer to provide matching of the Dynamic Spine of each arrow on the Neutral Plane as opposed to the conventional Stiff Side matching process. You'll see some new threads that cover this technology in the weeks to come.

Regards,

Xbow755

·
Registered
294 Posts
Bow Mathews Switchback 28'' Bow weight 70lb's
Arrows Pro Radial X weave 26'' I use an over draw

All The Best

Reactions: Stillhunter

·
Registered
432 Posts
DSCN0479.JPG

I'm still shooting the same old arrows that I bought w my Switchback, Carbon Express 3D 300s

They were and still are impressive to me, this happened after 5 days and right after paper tuning my new bow. I've never damaged one shooting deer w them not counting the fletchings

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hello, everyone:

My HC 105# DW bow is shooting Jerry's recommended and supplied Victory 300 spine, 100gr. heads; 400gr.total arrow weight arrows extremely well for me and two accomplished archer friends. NO QUESTION, Jerry's recommendation works.

But, Jerry thinks increasing the head from 100gr. to 150gr. will "create too much flexion" for a 300 spine. He may be correct, but his was an educated guess.

Can anyone help with a spine and shaft recommendation for a 150gr head using his bow at 105# - 120# draw weights, please?

Thanks,
Kevin

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Kevin,
I would doubt anyone could provide this type of input with any certainty, since spine tables for crossbow arrows don't exist yet. The best way in which to find a shaft that would work is by first understanding the spine characteristics on your current arrows and then searching for a stiffer spined arrow of the same length.

If you do a little research on the Victory Arrows or contact Victory Customer Service, they can easily tell what spine your arrows are built with. Once you know this, the rest is fairly easy to search for.

The one question you will need to ask Victory, if you contact them is in their spine rating system, do spines get stiffer as their number increase or decrease? By this I'm asking them as an example: If the current spine on these shafts is .150, does this mean an arrow with a .200 spine would be stiffer or weaker?

This allows one to understand how their rating would compare other manufacturers.

Regards,

Xbow755

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Kevin,
I just finished reading a thread by Jerry from South Shore, where he states the stiffest spined arrows he knows of in the market are the Black Eagle "Zombie" shafts. I have no idea if these shafts are available in full length or 27" length shafts, but a quick message to Jerry should provide that answer.

This would likely be a good replacement for the Victories when moving to heavier broadheads.

Regards,

Xbow755

·
Banned
3,103 Posts
That's going to be the problem if and when Jerry ups the Limbs on the HC Inline Bow to 150 lbs, you'll require full length arrows for it from 25 to 30 inches depending on your draw length. I don't believe any long arrow is spined for a 150 lb weight in fact I'm surprised that there is an arrow available for the 125 lb limbs. But I imagine like anything else if there is a demand they will build it but to start the demand will be relatively low. Cactus

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks, Jon and Cactus:
Jon shared via PM that spine measuring can be tricky unless a roller bearing contact is used to eliminate drag as the shaft is rotated AND that each shaft must be evaluated using the actual cut length as the between support distance. Then, Jon advised me to pay more attention to the relative spine deflection difference, not published info.
I'll contact South Shore. Thanks.
Kevin

1 - 20 of 36 Posts