Crossbow Nation banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hi Cactus,
I think your knowledge in regard to available spine stiffness across the arrow shaft industry is probably on par with mine, so it won't be easy.

Because I do so much building and testing of arrow shafts, I'm of the opinion, like you, that it would initially be difficult to find any arrow at the 27" length that will carry enough spine to meet the need. That said, I'm also completely certain that Dorge could produce one, if he wanted to build them.

He might be the only possible source for these type of arrows.

Regards,

Xbow755

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks, Jon:
What is going through my mind is that, as a hypothetical example, 250 spine shafting usually weighs enough more that the marginal increase in grains per inch of shafting offsets whatever FOC improvement might arise from a heavier head. Ok, the stiffer shafting with greater GPI might accommodate 150#DW, but not with a 125gr. head.
Just speculation here. Will contact Dodge once he's over the PA Show.
Kevin

·
Registered
998 Posts
xbow755 said:
Hi Cactus,
I think your knowledge in regard to available spine stiffness across the arrow shaft industry is probably on par with mine, so it won't be easy.

Because I do so much building and testing of arrow shafts, I'm of the opinion, like you, that it would initially be difficult to find any arrow at the 27" length that will carry enough spine to meet the need. That said, I'm also completely certain that Dorge could produce one, if he wanted to build them.

He might be the only possible source for these type of arrows.

Regards,

Xbow755
South Shore Archery has added a number of shafts in 26" lengths. If you were to use the Nufletch vane system, this would add 85 grains (I think) to tail end, to offset the increased point weight and would add an additional 3"-4" inches in length. This would bringing the overall length up to a potential 28:-29" shaft.
I have no clue how well they would shoot but it may be an option if all else fails.

GRIM

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
my personal opinion after helping so many shop to develop arrow building procedure. For Spin consistency of each company over performance base on my experience Best to start

Overall
1) Carbon tech
2) Black Eagle, Gold Tip, Victory
3) Carbon Impact
4) carbon express, Carbon Force, Easton
5) Arrow dynamics,

0.244-0.246" OD speed shaft
1) Carbon Tech Chita yellow label
2) Victory HV-V1
3) Black Eagle Carnivore Ultra Light
4) Easton Light speed
5) Carbon express blue select 3D

Durability and penetration 0.204-0.246"
1) Carbon Tech Rhino yellow label
2) Gold Tip Pro Hunter
3) Carbon Tech White White label
4) Carbon Impact 600 fat shaft

Reactions: jon.henry755

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hi Dorge and Jerry,
Can either of you provide any suggestions as to any manufacurers that might produce an arrow shaft in a 28" length that would be spined for a 150 lb. bow? Or for that matter, do you have any idea what spine rating Kenintac15 might be looking for?

The TAC15 arrows, as you kno, are a very stiff spine compared to most shafts. They usually spine somewhere between .140 and .190, but that's at 26.25" and they 're not available in anything longer, so they're not a canidate for his search.

Hi GRIM,
As usual, you're ahead of me with your knowledge. I'm not familiar with the Nufletch vane system, but as a general rule I don't like adding additional weight to my arrows. I've already explained to Kevin that I wouldn't recommend using 150 grain broadheads to begin with, since it's over-weighting the arrows front end. As you stated, one could counter-balance the shaft to a beter degree by adding some weight to the rear, but in my mind it's far easier to resolve that problem my simply not using the 150 grain broadhead to begin with.

Finding an arrow shaft that's designed with more grain per inch of shaft is a more uniform means of increasing total arrow weight, if K.E. is what you're after. Then by balancing ones F.O.C. within normal parameters (12% - 15%) you will end up with a better performing arrow. If K.E. is the big factor someone is after, then Firenock is still producing the Dragon Slayer series arrow shafts. At 800 grains before adding a point, they'll deliver the "Big Hit" on anything they make contact with.

Regards,

Xbow755

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
i shoot a Mathews Mq1, and i shoot good with Deer crossing arrows 340 spine, pretty darn accurate and durable at a good price

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Black Eagle actually makes more than one series of arrows that are available in the .001 straightness factor.

The Zombie Slayers have earned a solid reputation for being a great performing arrow as are the their "Carnivore Series". Like the Zombie Slayers they come in both .003 and .001, so always be careful which ones you're buying for what you're paying.

Regards,

Xbow755

·
Registered
504 Posts
Carbon express blu rz or blue streaks shoot really well with my current set up an Elite 35. Hunting arrows set up with a heavy helical and i can virtually shoot any broad head i screw on

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey xbow755
For what it's worth I have been shooting gold tip hunter xt's for many years out of several different bows. Most recently I have been shooting a diamond dead eye (343 ibo) and have loved them as much now as when I started with them. I typically have full pass thru's with wasp jack hammers except for one time. I hit high left in the shoulder blade and after about 60 yards the buck laid over and broke the shaft off since it was stuck. Small price to pay for a quick kill based on my poor shoot. Everyone has a favorite shaft, these are mine.
Keep the arrows flyin....
Arrowaddiction

·
Registered
113 Posts
Be sure to check carbon arrows before you shoot them. A good friend of mine had a carbon arrow explode when he shot it and part of it went into his left thumb. I saw the police department photos. It was nasty. Arrow looked OK but a close examination cant hurt. Good luck.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have tried a lot,,, I hunt some heavy big game, I like the Full Metal Jacket,,,, they are all good, but this is what works best for me,,,,,

21 - 36 of 36 Posts