Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Sliverado
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on another sight I seen a person mention that people who shoot a bow more times than just needed to sight it it didn't know what they were doing and that's why their bow fails. Now I know shooting more you will have more maintenance with strings and maybe tuning issues, but this shouldn't be used to try to justify all the limb issues going on and factory string issues after 2 shots. And from what I'm seeing is alot of brands with the same issue and the main reason is probably Chinese parts and production. Just bc it's made/assembled in the USA don't mean most of its components aren't made in China. That's just my 2 cents from a good ol boy from Tennessee

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
Opinions are like noses and we all have one. Never more relevant with all us on this site. ;)

HunterThompson has over 2,000 plus shots on his Barnett TS370. I have close to 1,000 shots and both shoot as good today as the day we purchased them. Can't imagine how many shots Bunnyrabbit has on his Ghost Xbow. It's way, way up there! For me I wouldn't worry about it. However, if it worries you shoot less for your peace of mind.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
That's like saying shooting my revolvers all the time is why my brass dont last? and why my powder dont last, I have to keep reloading it because I shoot to much so I can't know what I am doing? Yet assures me of shots when called on!

Like I've said a hundred times you can tell the keyboard cowboys and wanna bees by their post.

Shoot on and learn to take care of your equipment, you might wear out arrows or strings, but when your bow has a failure you'll be happy it did it when you were shooting and not hunting. If I have an issue with my bow, I want to know before i get in my stand!

But facts are most failures happen with low shot counts on bow, it can happen anytime, but dont buy any hunting equipment and be afraid to use it! For me that would not be worth owning it!

·
9,028 Posts
I think … "Issues" are far less prevalent than we think. We hear about them here in great detail because that's what happens on forums. The reality is forum users are probably 1%-2% of the crossbowers out there; and they're far different than the "average" archer. My point is that I'd be careful about extrapolating and projecting statistics about failures from such a distinct subgroup of archers. Personally, I'm not a target guy but my two crossbows are 7 and 6 years old with hundreds and hundreds of shots out of them with no failures. Other than some serving separation I haven't even had a maintenance issue.

·
Registered
2017 Sliverado
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's like saying shooting my revolvers all the time is why my brass dont last? and why my powder dont last, I have to keep reloading it because I shoot to much so I can't know what I am doing? Yet assures me of shots when called on!

Like I've said a hundred times you can tell the keyboard cowboys and wanna bees by their post.

Shoot on and learn to take care of your equipment, you might wear out arrows or strings, but when your bow has a failure you'll be happy it did it when you were shooting and not hunting. If I have an issue with my bow, I want to know before i get in my stand!

But facts are most failures happen with low shot counts on bow, it can happen anytime, but dont buy any hunting equipment and be afraid to use it! For me that would not be worth owning it!
Thats my thoughts. If it ain't reliable enough to shoot then it don't need to be on the market

·
Registered
127 Posts
I´m one of these target guys shooting a lot. My first crossbow was a taiwan made, not basically bad, but after 300 shots I had more and more problems. When I called my dealer for returning my bow and getting my money back, he told me, that these crossbow was not produced for this high number of shots I wanted to do with.
Okay, I got my money back and bought up to now two new american crossbow. In summary I had shot more than 2000 shots and they are still working great.
But for sure, I have to maintain them regulary. Beside a mistake by myself, I didn´t have some serious problems with the bows.
So, they are very well prepared for the market.

·
Registered
2017 Sliverado
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I´m one of these target guys shooting a lot. My first crossbow was a taiwan made, not basically bad, but after 300 shots I had more and more problems. When I called my dealer for returning my bow and getting my money back, he told me, that these crossbow was not produced for this high number of shots I wanted to do with.
Okay, I got my money back and bought up to now two new american crossbow. In summary I had shot more than 2000 shots and they are still working great.
But for sure, I have to maintain them regulary. Beside a mistake by myself, I didn´t have some serious problems with the bows.
So, they are very well prepared for the market.
Not trying to start a debate on which brands are best so if you want to dm me it's fine, but which brands are the American ones. I'll have to save up but I plan on buying a better one in the near future

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
Not trying to start a debate on which brands are best so if you want to dm me it's fine, but which brands are the American ones. I'll have to save up but I plan on buying a better one in the near future
Scorpyd is a American product and, to date the only foreign item they sell is the Death Stalker cocking sleds that I know of and, I asked that ? through the years enough and, I believe it's accurate.
Others that are made here are 10PT,Ravin,Mission but what % of parts are sourced outside the US and, assembled here is a ? that could be asked to the companies I guess. Of those 4 Mission and Scorpyd have lifetime warranties and, Ravin/10pt only 5 years on the important stuff.
I'll stand up for American made stuff all I can. I just wish arrows and, quality optics where more readily available. Maybe someday.
Good luck shopping
usa2.jpg

·
Registered
127 Posts
Sorry, what means to dm you?

Intentionally I didn´t write the brands I have, because I didn´t want to debate about brands. If you ask me, I´m shooting with the Scorpyd DS 400 (more than 1500 shots) and the Excalibur Axe340 (round about 500 shots). It´s hard to say;), but in this market leading brands are "Made in the USA" and "Made in Canada". So, respect for your great products.

·
Registered
297 Posts
To expect the low end item to perform & last just as well as the high end item, probably is a bit much to ask. And, sure you'll find those that are fans of the low end items might sometimes make excuses for those items to explain problems.

We do kind of live in 'throw away' society; use it for a year or two, throw it away & buy a new one. So naturally there will be manufacturers that will fill that niche: who don't expect you to actually use an item much or for you to really expect much out of it.

Buy a new Chinese crossbow every year (or maybe even 2 years) and it take you a number of years to get to the cost of a Ravin. To each his own.

But yeah, you're probably gonna want to spend some more up front if you want to be a higher volume shooter.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I need quality equipment that stands up to the way I use it. I shoot year round to keep myself familiar with my equipment. If I have a piece of equipment that is troublesome it effects my confidence level. I only get to hunt a few months out of the year and look forward to it very much. I have a couple good crossbows now. I am familiar with them and my routine is almost automatic after hundreds of shots. Confidence in your equipment is very important when it's time to make the perfect kill shot.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Tenpoint is LIFETIME on the important stuff, 5 years on the limbs, but that is unimportant in my view as they do have best 5 layer laminent limbs on the crossbow market and fewer failures than any I am aware of. The hoyt of crossbows in my opinion.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Don’t understand the logic!! Who buys a car just to let it sit in the driveway??

Accuracy, familiarity, confidence, and a well proven hunting tool comes from lot’s of shooting.

Bill

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Well! Like I said before I have done a thing or two and seem a thing or two. 🙂

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
Sorry, what means to dm you?

Intentionally I didn´t write the brands I have, because I didn´t want to debate about brands. If you ask me, I´m shooting with the Scorpyd DS 400 (more than 1500 shots) and the Excalibur Axe340 (round about 500 shots). It´s hard to say;), but in this market leading brands are "Made in the USA" and "Made in Canada". So, respect for your great products.
I believe by "dm", he means "Direct Message", "Private Message", etc.

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
Don’t understand the logic!! Who buys a car just to let it sit in the driveway??
Peer pressure, status, and the urge to "show off".
Not logic ... :rolleyes:
Collectors collect most anything, including cars and xbows.
Some cars rarely get driven except from the garage, to the trailer then the car show.
Hence the term "Trailer Queen" to describe a vehicle like that.
Heck, some people collect trailers!
Maybe some Kings collect Queens, I wouldn't know about that, but if I was King one day....
LOL, J/K!
:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts