Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the rut is coming to the end what are some things you all do you to adapt in your hunting tactics? Any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Maybe a little different here in the northern tier, but I will hunt close to corn or a bait pile. When it's cold like it is here now at 8 F degrees, the food source will draw them in as they must eat to stay warm.

The other option I take is a slow spot and stalk. The deer have been hunted hard at this point and are pretty much nocturnal.

Reactions: Old Vet and Stalker

·
Registered
319 Posts
Food plots and water. The bucks are going to try to pack the weight back on they lost during the rut. They may still be scent checking does for late breeding too.

·
Registered
14,158 Posts
Hunt the food source and BE PATIENT cause the daytime activity drops WAY off.;)

·
Registered
9,726 Posts
Yep they get pretty nocturnal around here.Mornings always seem to be better for me late season.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Go back to hunting like you did early in the season - food sources. Just keep in mind many of the items on the early season menu are gone. Trails to and from cut corn fields or a good tree on the edge of one are the best bets. If there are Burr Oaks with mast in your area they are also late season deer magnets. Burr Oaks continue to drop their large acorns through the first hard freeze and deer love them. Activity will be largely nocturnal and like Stalker I generally do better and see more in the morning during late season.

Reactions: Educator

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
A warm-up after a cold spell can be very productive. I do some bow hunting on public land and am generally all alone.
it seems when I see one, I see ten. They are grouped up.
On private property, I bounce as I call it. Gun hunting, I start low and stalk points I know that lead to food on top. After I figure there are no deer between me and the fields, I go back down then bounce up another point. Action can be fast and furious. Bucks have begun to drop "horns" around here, and I am usually doe hunting and watch for the dark tarsal glands on bucks and and try to be certain the head is slick. Nothing worse than killing a 150 pound doe that has a set of testicles, i.e. a buck that has cast the headgear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts