Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned a Matrix 380 for about 5 years now and never bothered to get it chrono'd. A while back i was able to pick ip a good chrono real reasonable so today i thought i'd give it a whirl trying out the CenterPoint 300 Volt i bought the 8 year old grandson for his birth day. To my surprise the Volt chrono'd at an average of 301-304 fps with the factory bolts and 100 gr Dead Ringer Hyper Strike 3 blade fixed broadheads. So just for shits n giggles i brought out the Micro Nightmare 335 and with 16.5" BE Executioners, Ignitor nocks and brass insets (total 298 gr with tip) and 125gr Swackers, the best it would do is 292-298 fps. i switched to the 100 gr Dead Ringers and could only squeeze 304-307 fps out of it. The Micro has Air Brakes, Reds, and two small limb dampners and i knew i would loose some speed, but not that much. Now for the really scary part. I took out the Matrix 380 on which i recently put the Excal SDS system on it. It already had Reds and Air Braked on it, and with 18" BE Executioners carrying brass inserts and Ignitor nocks ( total 318gr without a tip) and using the same Swacker 125gr heads, the beast i could get is 300-305 fps. I switched to the 100 gr Dead Ringers and 309 fps was max. i checked the brace height and both are spot one. So, WHAT HAPPENED TO MY SPEED ?

·
Registered
326 Posts
My 340 mag shooting a 410gr 16.5 arrows is shooting 312 FPS. My centerpoint sniper shooting 20” BEE’s at 450 grain is shooting 320 FPS. Plenty fast enough for whitetail!!!

·
1,635 Posts
I would first verify the speed using another chronograph and if that chronograph agrees, start an RMA with Excalibur.
I know of one archery shop who's chronograph was out by a big number. They bitched and complained to Excalibur only to be embarrassed.
I have also seen once, a bow with the wrong length mainframe.
The numbers you state are ridiculously off and I can't help but think there is something wrong with the chronograph or the use of it. I've never heard of a 380 going that speed even with a 400 gr arrow.
Use a light kit or make one. On occasion, chronos can be wildly out without them.
Let us know how things work out.

·
Crossbow Nut
3,116 Posts
Get rid of the air brakes. Factory or aftermarket string on the Excals? A heavy string will cost more fps than you would imagine.

·
Crossbow Nut
3,116 Posts
When I got my 335, I checked the speed, and since I made strings, I got curious about the factory E/L string weight. If memory serves, it was 89 grains. When I put my favorite Flemish strings on it (32+ strands), the fps took a nosedive. Building Flemish strings of the same 89 grains, the speed was restored, and because of the material I tested, there was no increase in harshness, vibration, or noise.
There is nothing wrong with a heavy string at all, but it does slow things down.

Reactions: Martymig and Boo

·
1,635 Posts
This is why I never bought a chronograph... if I lost or gained a few FPS I don't want to know. I focus on the POI from shooting session to shooting session and that's good enough for me...
I have 2 chronographs but only because if I get a reading I did not expect, I check it on the other one. It's also handy when you shoot one of them :rolleyes: But, I do not chronograph my own bows because of what you said, it isn't important.

Reactions: Martymig

·
Crossbow Nut
3,116 Posts
I like my recurves shooting about 90% of their rated speed. I accomplish this with arrow and string weight.
My magic number for my Micros is anything 300 fps or over. Both the 335 and 355 shoot around 312 fps and I'm very happy with that. Pass through deer every time.

Reactions: DENYS5 and Boo

·
Registered
18 Posts
As mentioned on the other forum. Broadheads and illuminated nocks don't make for accurate Chrony readings. :)

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
When I got my 335, I checked the speed, and since I made strings, I got curious about the factory E/L string weight. If memory serves, it was 89 grains. When I put my favorite Flemish strings on it (32+ strands), the fps took a nosedive. Building Flemish strings of the same 89 grains, the speed was restored, and because of the material I tested, there was no increase in harshness, vibration, or noise.
There is nothing wrong with a heavy string at all, but it does slow things down.
I let the people I build for give me the feedback I need on if my strings are increasing speeds or not. So far so good..

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
I have 2 chronographs but only because if I get a reading I did not expect, I check it on the other one. It's also handy when you shoot one of them :rolleyes: But, I do not chronograph my own bows because of what you said, it isn't important.
Yes, I don't want to find myself knit picking over a couple FPS...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts