Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get a few of these little levels but which one of the scope ring levels do you recommend? I see them from 8 bucks up to around 30.Is any one better than the other? I see the dove tail mount also,is it better than the ring mounted style? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I just bought a Lone Star off Amazon but it appears I can't use it unless I want to slide my scope forward or backward in the rings to make room for it. As it stands now, the scope is about perfectly even front to back in the rings. I believe that the Pic rail mount levels are not going to be as precise/accurate as the one mounted to the scope tube. Vortex has a really nice low profile one that is highly regarded, but it's pricey. If you notice on the LS level, it's got a little arrow in the middle bottom that shows you exact center of the bubble. I like that idea as opposed to trying to focus to make sure the bubble is centered between the 2 very thin lines. Much quicker to acquire and get right before the shot IMO. The wheeler level is nice because it folds in. It's highly regarded as well.

·
Registered
10,902 Posts
I use these, cheap and work well on my Ravin and my Scorpyd.

I should add that I can actually see these with both my eyes open while shooting.

·
9,035 Posts
Amazon … $17.00 for two Jialittle. Fits either 30mm and/or 1". Work well. Some don't have viscous fluid and the bubble flies around too fast. These are pretty well dampened.

Reactions: SEW

·
Registered
545 Posts
I didn’t have room to mount one on my scope either so I wound up gluing a small square buble level on the back of my receiver under my scope. It’s very easy to see while in the shooting position.

Reactions: beanie

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I would recommend the ones that attach to the scope if possible. The ones that attach to the rail are not always accurate. In either case you must make sure that:
1. Your scope is level to your crossbow (or gun)
2. You put a level on your scope top turret with cover removed to make sure the level is level.
If not you are accomplishing nothing.

Reactions: BULLDOGGBOYZ

·
Registered
830 Posts
I use a three step process to ensure the bow is level and the reticles are plumb and level.
1. Place level on xbow rail and level the bow.
2. Install level of choice on xbow and ensure both level readings concur.
3. With both levels on the crossbow in agreement, I place weighted plumb line on my target stand and while looking thru the scope i check the vertical reticle to be on the plumb line.
If all three are not in agreement, go back to #1, repeat.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Or just use the Wheeler Engineering scope leveling and or installation kit to assure your scope is properly mounted and level from jump street. My Evo X already came mounted and centered in the rings. By eye it looks to be dead nuts, but I will likely start from scratch and remove the rings, lap them if needed, then use the Wheeler kit I have to make sure all is level and nothing is torqued inside the rings.

·
Registered
10,902 Posts
I just did my new Sig Sauer BDX scope with the built in level yesterday. I mounted the scope and put the bow on my Field Pod and stuck a level across the limbs and leveled the bow. Then I put a level on the rail and was still level. Then I put a level on the scope cap and leveled it and then rechecked everything to make certain nothing had moved and then tightened down the rings and then rechecked everything again. Then I turned on the sights and made certain that the built in level agreed with what I had done. It did so I am calling it good to go! :D

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the replies and help.I like the fold in level,i had not seen that one when i was looking around.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I wound up using the Tenpoint Pic mounted bubble level, after I spent $18 on a Lone Star and $49 on a Vortex Lo Pro, neither of which seemed to mount up well to my Evo X for various reasons. Believe it or not, the TP Pic level is dead balls on with both the rail and the limbs. The pre-mounted in the rings Evo X was off according to my scope level. Just had to loosen the rings and rotate it a little. In the end, the TP Pic level, the wheeler scope level, and my Irwin levels laid across the limbs and the rail all read dead center simultaneously. I'd say she's complete and ready for pre-season shooting!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts