Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always been fascinated with Excalibur as a recurve xbow and have been for the last five years. But then I do some research and limb breakage always comes up. I’m not sure how much of a real issue it is, some say it’s mostly certain models with short limbs.
So I thought I would post here and get some suggestions by those in the know.
What I am looking for is a hunting crossbow with reasonable speeds of around 340fps with 420grns. I see no need for faster speeds for shooting no more than 40yds. Something that isn’t known for being louder than other Excalibur xbow models.
Most of all, reliable. I don’t want something wide but I also don’t want something so narrow at the risk of cracking limbs. I don’t want to have to worry about cracking limbs.
I definitely don’t want a used crossbow so it would have to be current models stocked.
I think posting here may put me in a good direction by people that have experience with these crossbows.
Thanks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you find a matrix 380/355/330 those models are well known for being bombproof.

From the micro line I don’t own one but I think the Mag 340 has been problem free since it’s release. That’s the one I would buy if it were only up to the 2021 lineup.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have always been fascinated with Excalibur as a recurve xbow and have been for the last five years. But then I do some research and limb breakage always comes up. I’m not sure how much of a real issue it is, some say it’s mostly certain models with short limbs.
So I thought I would post here and get some suggestions by those in the know.
What I am looking for is a hunting crossbow with reasonable speeds of around 340fps with 420grns. I see no need for faster speeds for shooting no more than 40yds. Something that isn’t known for being louder than other Excalibur xbow models.
Most of all, reliable. I don’t want something wide but I also don’t want something so narrow at the risk of cracking limbs. I don’t want to have to worry about cracking limbs.
I definitely don’t want a used crossbow so it would have to be current models stocked.
I think posting here may put me in a good direction by people that have experience with these crossbows.
Thanks.
There is really no difference new/used for Excalibur crossbows. The matrix models mentioned by Big4570 are indeed "bombproof". I have a 330 and 380 and they just don't have issues. I've killed ~40 deer with the 330 over a ten tear or so period without a blink. If for instance mine were stolen, I'd go out and buy used of the identical models to replace them.

·
Registered
14,675 Posts
What's the poundage pull on the 380? I have an old school Vortex that is 200#'s and it is doable for me.

·
Registered
221 Posts
What's the poundage pull on the 380? I have an old school Vortex that is 200#'s and it is doable for me.
It's not so much the poundage pull with the 380 that people have trouble with, it's the long stroke especially when they do not shorten the rope cocker and also happen to be less than maybe 5"8". That last coupe of inches gets to be harder for them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Matrix 380 is 260#, but It is way easier to cock than the Micro 340(270#). Don't known why, but it feels smoother

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
You said you wanted new so that gets rid of a lot of the bows mentioned. Like all of them.
The Assassin 360 would be my first pick and the G340 would be my second pick from current line of new models.

·
4,077 Posts
If you would put any of theses bows on a draw board, you would see the advertised draw weights are generally well understated. When Jon Teater did independent tests for Arrow Trade, the Micro Suppressor (355) scaled 343#, and the Assassin 420 was 374#! Bottom line is, for most, except the very short as Miles states, the draw weights are doable because the peak weight kicks in when your back is reaching full extension, and at its strongest and least susceptible to injury. My 380 is a DTM/Matrix hybrid with a slightly shorter power stroke (12.5 vs 13.2), but the limbs scale 292#. It is not difficult to rope cock 40-50 times on a range trip, and I am 69 years old.

·
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You said you wanted new so that gets rid of a lot of the bows mentioned. Like all of them.
The Assassin 360 would be my first pick and the G340 would be my second pick from current line of new models.
After seeing some of the new Excalibur prices buying used may be a consideration.
Is their warranty transferable?

·
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just read that Excalibur warranty is to the original owner so that eliminates used.
This is very important to me and the noted durability of most of Excalibu’s line.
I have had another top of the line (at the time I bought it) xbow. One day shooting it with their nocks the string ran over the arrow and started a split in the limb at the axle. Luckily it was on the last days of the warranty. They replaced the limbs but now I only shoot it minimally because the warranty doesn’t cover the replaced limbs.
So that has had me looking at Excalibur for the last few years with durability and lifetime warranty being a must.

·
2,864 Posts
I just read that Excalibur warranty is to the original owner so that eliminates used.
This is very important to me and the noted durability of most of Excalibu’s line.
I have had another top of the line (at the time I bought it) xbow. One day shooting it with their nocks the string ran over the arrow and started a split in the limb at the axle. Luckily it was on the last days of the warranty. They replaced the limbs but now I only shoot it minimally because the warranty doesn’t cover the replaced limbs.
So that has had me looking at Excalibur for the last few years with durability and lifetime warranty being a must.
I have never heard of anyone being asked for proof of purchase nor have I heard of anyone being refused because a bow was previously registered with someone else.

·
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
On Excalibur xbows I see some have aluminum rails and some synthetic, are a
there any issues with synthetic?

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I own 2 Excalibur crossbows. One has the aluminum rail and the other the polymer. I don't see any difference in either one.

·
Registered
Excalibur Mag 340
460 Posts
I think my next bow will be a bulldog 440. I should be able to shoot heavy extreme FOC arrows at pretty good speed.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts