Crossbow Nation banner
41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Probably why they started putting serial numbers on them. If they were going to just warranty everything and for everyone, why even have it registered? It is registered for this reason.
When they do ignore it and simply cover it, thats because they choose to and the customer should be grateful for that.
The practice has gained them a devoted fan base and much good press, so it has it's value.
That said...
Its still coming out of the bottom line and the company isnt going to keep on paying for the blanks and the shipping forever, unless they are required to. Look around and you will see the economies everywhere are getting crushed. Bottom lines are going to matter more in the future and the free goodies and favors are going the way of the T Rex eventually.
Agreed, there are a great many people on these forums alone who have abused that open policy. It can only last for so long.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Never had an issue with a warranty on an Excalibur...in fact, only had to use that one time and that was, like, 10 years ago..
Now I just keep a spare set or two of limbs around...

·
Registered
Excalibur Mag 340
460 Posts
I don’t have a problem buying a spare set of limbs. I bought a set for my vertical back up and $100 sounds like cheap insurance anyway.

·
Registered
14,913 Posts
Over the years I have had to get 2 sets of replacement limbs for my Excaliburs. Neither time was I even asked if I was an original owner but on the 2nd set I was and volunteered that info to them. They replaced the limbs under warranty anyway.

·
Crossbow Nut
3,974 Posts
I look at it this way. Many have more than 1 crossbow; 1 to hunt and a backup. Nutty people (personally, I know many LOL) even have MANY backups.
So if I were starting over in crossbows TODAY and was budget minded, I would buy an Excalibur Micro.
What can possibly go wrong? The weak link on any crossbow is the limbs, string, and possibly the trigger. So I would buy a TriggerTech trigger, install it, using the factory trig for a spare, get a Flemish string, and a set of limbs, and the sum of these spares is the same as a backup crossbow without a 2nd bow, unless someone ran over your stock/rail.
Unless someone catches the speed virus or has to be the kid with the newest toy, or just plain wants a new bow, this could be a lifetime solution for many IMO.

·
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Never had an issue with a warranty on an Excalibur...in fact, only had to use that one time and that was, like, 10 years ago..
Now I just keep a spare set or two of limbs around...
I see that often, people buying spare Excalibur limbs. Kind of not a good thing to see looking at their crossbows.
Is it the shorter the limbs the more risk of breakage?

·
Crossbow Nut
3,974 Posts
I see that often, people buying spare Excalibur limbs. Kind of not a good thing to see looking at their crossbows.
You miss the point. There isn't a manufacturer you can name that hasn't had limb issues at one point or another.
When do you suppose a crossbow would have a broken limb?
When you want to use it, especially during hunting season.
So would it make more sense to have affordable spares on hand, or send it in for repairs and do without or use a backup you don't have enough confidence in to make your first choice?

·
Registered
Backinda woods of Maine
1,184 Posts
I look at it this way. Many have more than 1 crossbow; 1 to hunt and a backup. Nutty people (personally, I know many LOL) even have MANY backups.
So if I were starting over in crossbows TODAY and was budget minded, I would buy an Excalibur Micro.
What can possibly go wrong? The weak link on any crossbow is the limbs, string, and possibly the trigger. So I would buy a TriggerTech trigger, install it, using the factory trig for a spare, get a Flemish string, and a set of limbs, and the sum of these spares is the same as a backup crossbow without a 2nd bow, unless someone ran over your stock/rail.
Unless someone catches the speed virus or has to be the kid with the newest toy, or just plain wants a new bow, this could be a lifetime solution for many IMO.
That's a good plan. Mine was to buy two bows that all parts would interchange. In my case two Axes. Then figured some spare limbs and a spare trigger would be a good idea. After that I don't know what happened but every family member has their own. Plus a couple I could loan out or even give to a new hunter.
Take care
Oncebitten

·
Registered
Backinda woods of Maine
1,184 Posts
Is it the shorter the limbs the more risk of breakage?
Lots of manufacturers won't even sell parts. That's another advantage to Excalibur. The only thing that sucks more than having a limb splinter is having a limb splinter on a bow you can't buy parts for. 100 dollars is cheap insurance.
With weather, family responsibilities, health, and random unavoidable disasters I can't let my equipment cost me an hour in the woods.

Life is short. Hunting season is shorter.
Take care
Oncebitten

·
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
You miss the point. There isn't a manufacturer you can name that hasn't had limb issues at one point or another.
When do you suppose a crossbow would have a broken limb?
When you want to use it, especially during hunting season.
So would it make more sense to have affordable spares on hand, or send it in for repairs and do without or use a backup you don't have enough confidence in to make your first choice?
In 35 years I’ve had one Horton crack out of the 15 I had owned over that time and the tip of one TenPoint crack using their Omni nock when I had a string over arrow.
I can see an advantage with the Excalibur in two ways that’s if the spare limbs can be had at a reasonable price and the fact that they can easily be replaced. I do find the simplicity of the Excalibur appealing.
Also, buying spare limbs would be protection against “not available“ in the future I guess.

·
2,864 Posts
Over the years I have had to get 2 sets of replacement limbs for my Excaliburs. Neither time was I even asked if I was an original owner but on the 2nd set I was and volunteered that info to them. They replaced the limbs under warranty anyway.
They never ask for proof of purchase, if it is bought used nor do they ask for a serial number. They just don't care. I know of one person who sent in their limbs (donno why) with their string. The complaint was that the limb tip was broken. Turns out the string was made with loops that were too long and that definitely breaks the ears off of the limb tips. That is not denial of warranty, because warranty inferes that it is a manufacturer's defect. I suppose if you call them and tell them you bought it second and and you don't expect warranty, you wouldn't get warranty. Don't know about that but I will certainly ask Peter and come back to this thread with an answer.

·
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I was watching an interesting video about crossbow limbs cracking where it was stated that even though poundages and speeds are up but people are still using the same weight arrows.

·
Registered
Excalibur Mag 340
460 Posts
I was watching an interesting video about crossbow limbs cracking where it was stated that even though poundages and speeds are up but people are still using the same weight arrows.
That seems to be a common thought. I’m shooting a mag 340. Minimum recommended arrow weight is 350 gr. I’m shooting a total arrow weight of 489 gr and still getting 300 FPS. Which to me is plenty of speed. The plus side is increased penetration which makes me feel better about using a very big cut four blade mechanical head and should protect my limbs as well.

·
710 Posts
That seems to be a common thought. I’m shooting a mag 340. Minimum recommended arrow weight is 350 gr. I’m shooting a total arrow weight of 489 gr and still getting 300 FPS. Which to me is plenty of speed. The plus side is increased penetration which makes me feel better about using a very big cut four blade mechanical head and should protect my limbs as well.
Did you confirm that speed over crony? My bow shoots 306fps with 425gr and 296 with a 450gr. Still plenty of speed.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Excalibur Mag 340
460 Posts
Did you confirm that speed over crony? My bow shoots 306fps with 425gr and 296 with a 450gr. Still plenty of speed.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk
No just a rough guesstimate using the speed dial on my scope. I should have said approximately. But agreed, I’m fast enough to make me happy and my speed ring still works pretty well.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Sorry for going off track a tiny bit - but still relating to Excalibur.

Which Excalibur model does Sanlida/Jandao copy here ?
Air gun Shotgun Gun barrel Auto part Trigger

Does it look like an Axiom (which I know only very roughly) ?

This is a Sanlida/Jandao Tomahawk, the 200lbs model supposedly reaching 305fps with 450gn arrows.
And basically identical to the Carbon Express X-Force Heritage.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I think the prices for extra limbs went up. I just got en extra set for my Mag340 and they were $170 to my door.
I would think that if a person buys a pair of limbs for a bow that is not registered to them as an original owner, then the purchased limbs should have their own warranty. Otherwise the new pair that they just bought could brake the next day and it would be on them again to buy another pair.

·
Registered
BD330/Short308/Woodstock 345/370 /Micro BD335/TT 1,5lbs SingleStage
154 Posts
@wb_hunter
The Tomahawk is no copy from excalibur. Older models like Chase Star and Barton are copies.
The Tomahawk was also available as "Carbon Express Heritage" in US, but much more expensive.
If the Tomahawk should be a copy, it should be a Grizzly i guess.

·
Registered
836 Posts
@Dominic13 - ok, thanks.
I am just curious.
BTW, this xbow (Jandao) seems to have quite a good reputation, as the older Excalibur models use to have.
I am pondering a Matrix at the moment (GRZ2 or G340), but I'm a bit puzzled by the apparent limb issues of the Micro models.

PS:
I have some inquiries out, asking shops for the estimated delivery times of a Matrix G340 (or GRZ2). No answer yet.

41 - 60 of 89 Posts