Crossbow Nation banner
61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
@Dominic13 -
I am pondering a Matrix at the moment (GRZ2 or G340), but I'm a bit puzzled by the apparent limb issues of the Micro models.
From what I have learned over the last few years looking at other crossbows and Excaliburs is it seems Excalibur has more limb issues than other brands, whether that’s true or just where I’m looking, and that many of them are on shorter limb Micro models.
I’ts kind of ironic being that the Excalibur is marketed as “bulletproof” compared to compound crossbows.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I think Excalibur tries to keep up in the speed game - which is IMHO not a good idea.
Just like vertical recurve bows can't compete with compounds in the speed game, because the physical and technological premises are different.

I suppose the huge increase in crossbow customer base is largely newbies who are impressed by speed numbers.
As a company, I might want a piece of that cake, too.
And as impressive as 500fps sounds, and as marvelous as this xbow looks - 3000+ $/€ is beyond my budget, nor do I think I could trust such a device very far under harsh real-world conditions.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I think Excalibur tries to keep up in the speed game - which is IMHO not a good idea.
Just like vertical recurve bows can't compete with compounds in the speed game, because the physical and technological premises are different.

I suppose the huge increase in crossbow customer base is largely newbies who are impressed by speed numbers.
As a company, I might want a piece of that cake, too.
And as impressive as 500fps sounds, and as marvelous as this xbow looks - 3000+ $/€ is beyond my budget, nor do I think I could trust such a device very far under harsh real-world conditions.
If you're looking at a Matrix (s) then it's hard to go wrong there. They are probably the best designed and most reliable of the Excaliburs. I have two, a 330 and a 380. The 330 came first and has killed ~40 deer for me. At 20 yards it is just on the edge of speed that allows a deer to jump the string when I use heavy arrows. I have not seen one YET that could beat the shot completely, but they can move enough to the make a big difference in the results. I do not believe the 380 will allow that even with arrows between 450 and 500 grains. The 330 with 350 grain arrows was fast enough I never saw one move before the arrow went through. I had a few non-passthroughs with the 330 and 350s. One through onside ribs, through the chest and centered the ball of the off side humerus/clavicle joint The thunderhead made it 8 inches out of Bambi. One I shot from well behind the diaphragm through the liver through one lung over the top of the heart through the other lung then into the off side leg and down the forearm to the wrist (It was down on it's chest but needed the second arrow.) Two with Rage X-tremes which went through the chest and hit the offside clavicle and couldn't make it through. That big COC blade up front on the X-tremes is not good at penetrating bone, but it does a fine job on lungs and hearts.

I like having two sets of parts that are almost completely interchangeable, and yet a little difference in capability. I have never had a problem with either, but I have only had the 380 a short time.

·
Registered
BD330/Short308/Woodstock 345/370 /Micro BD335/TT 1,5lbs SingleStage
154 Posts
IMO the Bulldog 330 is one of the best. Specially with limbs from the 440, then the BD330 comes up to 350fps.
Micros, i like them, but not bulletproof. If you take a Micro, take a heavy arrow like 425+grain, better 450.

·
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
What about cocking these with a rope cocker. Some of those poundages seem high and at 66 years old that is another consideration.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The matrix Bulldog330 is the best all around bow Excal has ever made. Perfect balance, good speed, easily cocked with a rope all day long, good width(right in the middle of the exo and micros) and deadly accurate

There are many many other more popular models, but none of them offer all the same features in the same bow. They all give up at least one.

·
4,077 Posts
Just FYI, Inspector98 has a nice Matrix 330 with a spare limbset in the market place for a good price. I have bought two crossbows from him in the past. Great deals. I still have one of them, 7 years later. Still an awesome bow.

·
2,864 Posts
I am going on 68 with a terrible back and the 330 and 315 are easy enough to cock by rope. The 330 is easier but longer and the 315 is a short but more stiff time of cocking. I sold my 330 and kinda regret it.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I'm not that advanced in age yet, without back issues - but of lightweight stature. I think I even fall directly into that boxing weight class.
But cocking a 150lbs xbow with my bare hands is not a big problem.
Which means I should be able to manage twice that DW with a cocking rope.
The 400+ fps Excaliburs scare me, though.

·
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
What about the those wide limbs (30”), it seems they would be a bit long even cocked to 26”?
What I have read is they are easier to cock.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have always been fascinated with Excalibur as a recurve xbow and have been for the last five years. But then I do some research and limb breakage always comes up. I’m not sure how much of a real issue it is, some say it’s mostly certain models with short limbs.
So I thought I would post here and get some suggestions by those in the know.
What I am looking for is a hunting crossbow with reasonable speeds of around 340fps with 420grns. I see no need for faster speeds for shooting no more than 40yds. Something that isn’t known for being louder than other Excalibur xbow models.
Most of all, reliable. I don’t want something wide but I also don’t want something so narrow at the risk of cracking limbs. I don’t want to have to worry about cracking limbs.
I definitely don’t want a used crossbow so it would have to be current models stocked.
I think posting here may put me in a good direction by people that have experience with these crossbows.
Thanks.
People are sheep. I’ve owned nothing but Excalibur’s and the only issue I had way back was slight limb delamination. And those particular limbs killed many a deer before I upgraded to my 420 Assassin.
Every time I get on this website there’s always a horde of people having issues with their timing or their limbs or cams. You got a lot of haters on here of the old simple crossbows they want these “cool looking reverse draw crossbows” and honestly whatever who cares. Enjoy. I’ll keep filling my freezer with my maintenance free Excalibur’s.
Excalibur’s are meant for old school, educated hunters. Not the clowns shooting 100 grain points on a 300 grain arrow at 400+ FPS.

·
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
As far as compounds go the only issue I ever had was a little spitting on two crossbow limbs and that’s out of 30+ crossbows over 40+ years or since the started making them. The only crossbows I ever had were Hortons and one TenPoint that I have now. Never any issues with cams, timing, strings or cables.
But again, I always wanted a recurve crossbow.
I also hunt with both recurve and compound bows also. A recurve crossbow would complete my archery arsenal.

·
710 Posts
As far as compounds go the only issue I ever had was a little spitting on two crossbow limbs and that’s out of 30+ crossbows over 40+ years or since the started making them. The only crossbows I ever had were Hortons and one TenPoint that I have now. Never any issues with cams, timing, strings or cables.
But again, I always wanted a recurve crossbow.
I also hunt with both recurve and compound bows also. A recurve crossbow would complete my archery arsenal.
Wow. I've had a lot of timing issues with my compounds. But then some don't check it and just shoot on. I marked the timing on each cam as soon as I got the bow and not long after had to adjust.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have always been fascinated with Excalibur as a recurve xbow and have been for the last five years. But then I do some research and limb breakage always comes up. I’m not sure how much of a real issue it is, some say it’s mostly certain models with short limbs.
So I thought I would post here and get some suggestions by those in the know.
What I am looking for is a hunting crossbow with reasonable speeds of around 340fps with 420grns. I see no need for faster speeds for shooting no more than 40yds. Something that isn’t known for being louder than other Excalibur xbow models.
Most of all, reliable. I don’t want something wide but I also don’t want something so narrow at the risk of cracking limbs. I don’t want to have to worry about cracking limbs.
I definitely don’t want a used crossbow so it would have to be current models stocked.
I think posting here may put me in a good direction by people that have experience with these crossbows.
Thanks.
.....I have been an Excalibur owner from 11/2013 and have owned about 11 different Excalibur crossbow models.
First, let me say, if you ever have any issues with any of your Excalibur Crossbows their service department is the best; bar none!

With that said, my only experience with any limb issues has been with my Gen 1 Micro (short limbs) 335. I actually had 3 sets of limbs blow and two were at a get together where the executive of Excalibur were present. That was 5 years ago. Since then I have NOT had any issues with that crossbow.

Both my bows own an original Matrix 380 (from 11/2013)....These was the first model to come out with the shorted limb design in 2013. I also owned one and never had an issue with mine. Well they to this date never have had any issues with theirs.

I currently own a MAG340 (Micro limbs), a GRZ 2- (Matrix limbs) and Assassin 360 (Micro limbs) in addition to the Micro 335 mentioned above. I have never had any issues with limb breakage other than what was mentioned above.

I have owned all the way up to the A420 TD and Bulldog 400....again no issues.

I attribute some of the problems that you read about being related to "user error." You need to know what you are doing with a single string Excalibur recurve.
There are people that have caused their issues (I am not saying most or all) but would never admit to having done anything wrong.

With that said, once you own one and use one, I believe you will be sold for their accuracy, dependability, ability to work on it yourself and never have to go to a bow shop again, and great customer service.

Good luck with your quest!
Anthony

61 - 80 of 89 Posts