Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe I have narrowed down my mechanical BH choices to launch from my TP Viper S400. In the running are the Grim Reaper 3 blade razor tip 1.5" cut, the Muzzy HBX Hybrid 4 blade 1-5/8" cut, The Auto Lock mechanicals with a 1.7" cut, and finally the TruGlo Titanium X 4 blade with a 1-3/4 cutting diameter. I chose these four offerings because of the fact that there is no collar or band needed to keep them closed during flight from a 400 FPS or faster XB. They all also offer replacement blade kits and available practice point configurations with the exception of the TruGlo, which doesn't offer a practice head option. I thought about Rage, but the whole collar thing is a PITA to me. Any thoughts, experiences, or suggestions from anyone? I am always open to learning about better options through others' experiences in the field. Knowledge is king!

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
I'm a big fan of the Grim Reapers and used the 3 blade Razortip successfully for years. You might take a look art their #1673 3 blade in the Pro Series. You get 4 broadheads in a pack vs 3 and a practice tip. Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
SEVR 2.1 , Thorn ,NAP DoubleCross all work great out of my Tenpoint Nitro XRT and Vapor RS 470
I’m thinking about trying the Rage Hypodermic NC,
they’re a no collar broadhead.

·
Registered
148 Posts
SEVR 2.1 , Thorn ,NAP DoubleCross all work great out of my Tenpoint Nitro XRT and Vapor RS 470
I’m thinking about trying the Rage Hypodermic NC,
they’re a no collar broadhead.
don’t want to thread jack OP but relevant question if you’re considering the rage. How do they ensure they don’t expand in flight if you can open the blades with your fingers since there’s no collar?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
don’t want to thread jack OP but relevant question if you’re considering the rage. How do they ensure they don’t expand in flight if you can open the blades with your fingers since there’s no collar?
Per Rage : The revolutionary Hypodermic NC utilizes cutting-edge finger-like tabs on the blades’ Slip Cam™ pivot point to “anchor” them in place while in the closed position, completely eliminating the need for a Shock Collar, dental band or O-ring, while still providing reliable blade retention. Upon impact, the blades instantly deploy to a 2-inch cutting diameter,

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm a big fan of the Grim Reapers and used the 3 blade Razortip successfully for years. You might take a look art their #1673 3 blade in the Pro Series. You get 4 broadheads in a pack vs 3 and a practice tip. Good Luck!
Yes indeed....That may be the route I take, although now I am seeing Rage's new line of +P no collar mechanicals. A bit pricey though, and it doesn't specify if they come with a practice head. I think these are my 2 finalists. Might have to try them both and then go from there.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Innerloc Carnage

I thought the arrow wrap cover was going to be a hassle, but it's a breeze. No need for practice heads because they are the same profile as a field tip. Rear deploying and deployment is super fast on impact, but still handles crossbow launch. Replacement blades available. They check all the boxes for me.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I'm using RAGE HYPODERMIC CROSSBOW broadheads, zero issues. I found them on Ebay from legit sellers for around $20 per pack.

The Chinese nock offs are the same, made at the same factory, same material....friend tried them last summer from his compound they flew just as good, he killed 4 deer with them last season, once used he just toss them in the garbage.

If i didn't have so many rages I would try the Grim Reapers

·
Registered
Western Wisconsin
854 Posts
At the recommendation of Burky, I started shooting the Truglo expandable broadhead the last couple years.

I haven't reused any of them, as I shoot 1-2 deer a year and throw it out after I use one.

Here's a bloodtrail I got in 2018 with the Truglo. Hard to believe, this buck went 125 yards

IMG_4179.jpg

·
Registered
13,491 Posts
I'm using RAGE HYPODERMIC CROSSBOW broadheads, zero issues. I found them on Ebay from legit sellers for around $20 per pack.

The Chinese nock offs are the same, made at the same factory, same material....friend tried them last summer from his compound they flew just as good, he killed 4 deer with them last season, once used he just toss them in the garbage.

If i didn't have so many rages I would try the Grim Reapers
I shoot the Chinadermics too and love them. I got in at $1 each for the 100 grain 2" cut heads and $1.25 each for the 125 grain 2.3" cut heads. I shoot them 1 and done usually on deer and then use them as practice heads. I have resharpened a couple of used heads though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have taken 3 deer in the last 3 years with Grim Reaper Razorcut broadheads 2 dropped in there tracks and 1 went about 20 yards. I believe they are the best made

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I took this doe from high up in a white oak last December. The shot was angled down maybe near 45 degree angle from the rear of the doe as she passed from behind me right to left.
Looking at the entry and exit wounds it did a very good job coming out of my Ripper 415 crossbow.
Experienced using NAP Spitfire 3 blades for 20 years so I will stay with them.

Reactions: mike-s

·
Registered
31 Posts
I also used NAP Spitfire for many years and like them also, but I found with my vertical compound bow which shots a lot slower than my crossbow the Grim Reapers fly to the same point of impact as field points and the NAP heads didn't. That's why I switched, I still have about 6 Spitfire 100 gr heads that I will try in my crossbow to see how they fly in it.

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
Here's a little Grim Reaper results.....

Ontario Black Bear. An 18 yard shot from an elevated stand and he only went 10 yards.

Texas free range wild hogs. 20 yard shots (ground blind) and recoveries at 15-50 yards.

We're blessed with amazingly fast xbows (350-450 fps) and some pretty nasty broadheads. The big 4 blade Grim Reaper I use is deadly and shoot well for me out to 62.7 yards.

These are the Pro Series Whitetail Extreme in 125 gn. 2" diameter cut with 3.5" of blade surface. They are vertical bow rated up to 325 fps and I can confirm that a 400+ fps xbow will blow them open in flight (at launch) if not banded. I double band them with 5/16" HD dental bands and they have worked perfectly 20 times in game situations (deer, hogs, black bear, turkey, ground hogs, coyotes and bob cats) and dozens of times in practice.

Reactions: Hidden Waters

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I also used NAP Spitfire for many years and like them also, but I found with my vertical compound bow which shots a lot slower than my crossbow the Grim Reapers fly to the same point of impact as field points and the NAP heads didn't. That's why I switched, I still have about 6 Spitfire 100 gr heads that I will try in my crossbow to see how they fly in it.
Interesting that you found the Spitefire heads didn't fly as your same weight field tipped arrows. I did that test s number of times and found they did for me. That's why I continue to use Spitfires after 20 years.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Interesting that you found the Spitefire heads didn't fly as your same weight field tipped arrows. I did that test s number of times and found they did for me. That's why I continue to use Spitfires after 20 years.
Indeed! I would guess they probably fly differently of of different set up's. That's pretty much why it's best to experiment with different things on different bows. What works for me might not work so well for the next guy.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I did the test in Arizona when I lived there with the extreme heat and extreme thermal uprising the NAP seemed to hydroplane because of the espoused blades. I now live in Montana so I don't now how they would work here but there was a defiant difference in Arizona. But the Grim Reapers have worked for me so well that I see no need to go back.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have been a mechanical broad head guy since the very early 2000’s... initially leaving the fixed blade Wasp and Satellite braodheads and move to mechanical broad heads which were forward deploying. Those early expendables worked great until you hit hard bone.. Then the Rage broadheads started to pave the way for the rear deploying... now, moving forward the better part of two decades, the new craze has been the hybrid broadheads... If you purchase the right ones, the hybrids mix the best of both worlds.. combining the dependability of a fixed blade with the much wider cut of a mechanical.... this past year the hybrids allowed me to harvest my biggest buck ever and my first bear....

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have been a mechanical broad head guy since the very early 2000’s... initially leaving the fixed blade Wasp and Satellite braodheads and move to mechanical broad heads which were forward deploying. Those early expendables worked great until you hit hard bone.. Then the Rage broadheads started to pave the way for the rear deploying... now, moving forward the better part of two decades, the new craze has been the hybrid broadheads... If you purchase the right ones, the hybrids mix the best of both worlds.. combining the dependability of a fixed blade with the much wider cut of a mechanical.... this past year the hybrids allowed me to harvest my biggest buck ever and my first bear....
Bloodsport Gravedigger

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Indeed! I would guess they probably fly differently of of different set up's. That's pretty much why it's best to experiment with different things on different bows. What works for me might not work so well for the next guy.
I understand and agree with that approach. I no longer see any need to test. I gave my broadhead target away a few years ago. I saw no need to tear up my Spitefire heads I stopped.
There is another issue to content with 400+fps crossbows. You are lucky to find an arrow that makes a pass thru. LOL!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts