Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

i now am the proud owner of a (like new!) Horton Yukon SL with peep sights, which i want to replace with a scope.

what's your choice in a scope & why do you recommend that choice?

thanks, texasnative46

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
Check out the same topic under Excalibur bows.

·
1,254 Posts
Truglo....reddot.....i put one on last year and its been awsome...!!!
and its great during the low light hours when deer or gobblers are in season...Thunderbolt

·
342 Posts
You can't go wrong with Excal Lumizone...its done really good for me...

·
11,411 Posts
It depends on what's most important to you

Magnification? Weight savings? Your age (visual accuity)? Illumination? Quick target acquisition? Price/quality? Just like crossbows, there's no one best sight or scope for everyone. As an example, weight saving and quick target acquisition in very low light conditions are most important for me so I don't use any heavier scopes with magnification. Crossbows are already too heavy and IMHO magnification for a 15 yard shot in very low light conditions is useless. But again, there are many that will not agree with that. Try a scope like some of the folks are recommending here and then try a non-magnifying red dot reflex sight so you can decide for yourself. It's up to you...........not what I or others say is the "best".:hurray:

·
Hunter
6,187 Posts
Truglo Halo sight

I just received a new Truglo halo sight that I ordered at the request of a friend. The sight appears to be well made for the price. It has the illumated choice of red or green and multi reticles. Did not get a chance to shoot with the Truglo. However I did notice that at dusk and twilight,even set at the low setting of illumination there was a lot of glare on the glass that you use to sight.
This glare was enough to block out my target ,even though The target could be seen with the naked eye.

·
101 Posts
you may wish to try a mueller reflex scope. i just took mine off my compound and put it on the sbe ll for pattern testing and will put it on my horton shortly. when you take off the saftey cover you have a full field of view, not to mention 4 different scope dots ,circle, and post with illuminated brightness. the have a website if your interested in one.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a Tenpoint Proviewx3 which is ok , but I had problems at low light . I would turn on my lite dots and boy the whole retical glowed ! Tenpoint is coming out with a new proview soon but it is for the faster bows like the Phantom , I believ it is for 330 fps or faster bows . Which mine is 305 and my dots are perfect at 25,35 and45 yds. So I called and told me that some of the proviews are worse than others so I sent mine back and they replace it for no charge ! It seems to be alittle better but problem is still there ! Thunderblot you say you like that Tru-glo sight is that the one with 4 crosshairs and it is a 4 or 5 power scope ? .CXB:bigear: I'm all ears give me some info and feedback !

·
Hunter
6,187 Posts
SPECIALIZED said:
I just received a new Truglo halo sight that I ordered at the request of a friend. The sight appears to be well made for the price. It has the illumated choice of red or green and multi reticles. Did not get a chance to shoot with the Truglo. However I did notice that at dusk and twilight,even set at the low setting of illumination there was a lot of glare on the glass that you use to sight.
This glare was enough to block out my target ,even though The target could be seen with the naked eye.
CXB,This Truglo Halo sight has no magnification ,same Truglo sight described with pictures on the Excalibur discussion pages.

·
Hunter
6,187 Posts
CXB said:
I have a Tenpoint Proview x 3 and have had problems with it glare problems with it when it is lite at low light situations ! They replaceit at no charge and it is alittle better but is still a problem ! Thunderbolt is that Tru-Glo scope the one with 4 pins and it is 4 or 5 power ? How do you like it ! Give me some feedback I'm all ears !:confused:
The Truglo Halo has no magnification.See the Truglo halo sight at Excalibur discussion pages.

·
11,411 Posts
I think it's a good crossbow scope but:)

it's quite heavy and the multiple reticle is quite "busy" to say the least. Crossbows are heavy and I can't make myself add that much additional weight to them plus IMHO magnification for crossbow hunting ranges is not needed and could even be a liability in close range very low light conditions. I think a small 3 dot reflex sight is hard to beat for crossbow hunting.

Attachments

·
8,999 Posts
It depends on what's most important to you

Magnification? Weight savings? Your age (visual accuity)? Illumination? Quick target acquisition? Price/quality? Just like crossbows, there's no one best sight or scope for everyone. As an example, weight saving and quick target acquisition in very low light conditions are most important for me so I don't use any heavier scopes with magnification. Crossbows are already too heavy and IMHO magnification for a 15 yard shot in very low light conditions is useless. But again, there are many that will not agree with that. Try a scope like some of the folks are recommending here and then try a non-magnifying red dot reflex sight so you can decide for yourself. It's up to you...........not what I or others say is the "best".:hurray:
12 years ago … and to his credit, Moon had the same philosophy about optics. Evidently he may have been born that way...lol:p;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts