Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I either have to shoot quick or I have to use a rest as I get older. I seem to start swirling if I hold long. I made some shooting sticks for my crossbows and friends and clients who shoot rifles, cheap! My partner though, has trouble using sticks so he shoots freehand. So, I'm wondering who shoots with a rest and who shoots freehand and how it works for you, and what you've encountered while shooting to make the decision of why.
Also, who is lefty and who is righty and does this have anything to do with the other? I'm lefty, my partner is righty.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Due to a medical problem my left arm is weeker than the right so I have a Ten Point Steddy Eddy for my TP and Excal. Now I'm rock steady when aiming.

·
11,546 Posts
Nice looking stock!

Who builds them and how does it change the shooting characteristics of the bow? Thanks:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Moonkryket, I don't know who makes the Steady Eddy but I got one from Cabela's that broke right away at the joint where it attaches to front of the xbow. I returned it and the second one did the same thing. I had it on an Excalibur Exomax and, other than adding a little weight, it was nice. Just didn't hold up very well. If I did want to shoot off-hand, I had to drop the rest out of the way first and, unless they have changed them, I couldn't put a sling on the xbow.

By the way, Moonkryket, saw a photo of all your crossbows on another forum. If your married: God bless your wife!

In answer to this thread, I use a rest when possible and I shoot predominately right handed.

·
1,795 Posts
Almost all of my shooting when hunting and whacking targets is freehand.

·
11,546 Posts
KLV

I'm sorry man, I did not make myself clear:ack2: I was asking Digger about that awesome custom stock on his Excal and if it changed the shooting characteristics of the Excal.

I know my fascination for crossbows borders on fanatical:D but it's fun and we only go around ONE time. I rarely take the same crossbow twice in a row to the farm when I go. I love them all. They are like women............they all are basically the same thing but, in reality, no two are alike:p I have one more crossbow on order and I think that will be it for a while. It's a medieval, custom built by my friend up north. I can't wait to get that jewel.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Moonkryket said:
I'm sorry man, I did not make myself clear:ack2: I was asking Digger about that awesome custom stock on his Excal and if it changed the shooting characteristics of the Excal.

I know my fascination for crossbows borders on fanatical:D but it's fun and we only go around ONE time. I rarely take the same crossbow twice in a row to the farm when I go. I love them all. They are like women............they all are basically the same thing but, in reality, no two are alike:p I have one more crossbow on order and I think that will be it for a while. It's a medieval, custom built by my friend up north. I can't wait to get that jewel.[/Q]

The custom stock was made by Mark Henegar of Ohio, it did not change the characteristics of the Vixen, but did add about a pound to the xbow. I have 6 Excals and a Ten Point Titan that I hunt with but usually I only take one xbow and my Martin Jaguar as a back up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Moonkryket, you actually did make yourself clear if I had taken the time to read the heading on your post, instead of just rushing through the text. Sorry for the confusion.

KLV

·
11,546 Posts
KLV

Does Mark still make them? I would consider having one made for my Vortex.

Thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
Last time I taked to Mark he was just making stocks for Excal .(non- thumbhole) variety. I don't have his Phone#, but he lives in New Knoxville, Oh. You could try the white pages online.

Michelle & Mark Henegar
home

5051 Henschen Rd

New Knoxville, OH 45871-9715

(419) 753-2992

·
115 Posts
To start with, I am 64 years of age and I have some tendon and nerve problems in my arms and shoulders.

Since we moved, in February, I have not had a lot of chances to shoot. Before we moved here I shot almost 100% of the time free standing, with no rest, but at that time I used a scope. Since we moved here, I have built a really nice backstop that measures 47 inches across the soft interior and about 55 inches tall. It is on wheels to make it easy to move around. I use a 23 inch square 12 inch thick bag target I got from Cabelas. Today I started shooting again, and I practice from about 110 feet from the target and I use a Taiwan made 180lb draw eagle recurve and am using the sights that came on the CB, although I modified them a little bit. I am target shooting with a 15 inch bolt, the blue aluminum shaft ones with the yellow and blue weathers. I consistently shoot into the kill zone, or into one of the circles on the target face of which there are 5 on each side of the target bag. I might also add that although I make and sell an inexpensive cocking aid, and have an Excalibur one too, I always hand cock my bow. I have never had a problem with drawing it off center, and most of my misses, perhaps 95%, are related to misjudgments of elevation rather than being off center. And misses don't happen very often.

Someday I will get a real good recurve and a real good compound bow to shoot with, but right now I don't have the money to spring for either.

I find it easier to hit my spot on target using conventional sights rather than a scope. On my rifles, it is a different story, but I know I used to shoot a lot without a scope in my younger days.

I only use a rest to sight in a scope or set of sights, then I shoot free hand from a standing position.

I can do well from prone, kneeling, and sitting positions as well.

·
1,071 Posts
I practice off hand and also with a rest when target shooting. In a hunting situation I try to get a good rest if possible but if I can't then I will shoot off hand (exhale then squeeze).

·
342 Posts
Freehand for everything...so far,

·
262 Posts
free handed

For the IBO I shoot all free handed.Those are the rules.

·
157 Posts
WHEW

Ya dug back a ways to find this one, LOL

·
229 Posts
pa crossbow said:
I practice off hand and also with a rest when target shooting. In a hunting situation I try to get a good rest if possible but if I can't then I will shoot off hand (exhale then squeeze).
+2!:cheers2: Ron

·
3,019 Posts
I practice shooting both freehand (all kinds of positions) and off rests (improvised, shooting sticks, and professions types). I shoot game any way I can - I prefer to find some kind of rest but that is not always possible. I shoot every thing I have both left and right handed. Since I am predomanently right handed but my left eye is my dominate eye I am more accurate with a vertical bow from my left hand - but it is not a big difference anymore. The longer the range the more I prefer some type of rest for crossbow and rifle. I hate missing!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts