Votes: 4 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the upcoming season ahead of us, would you be willing to post some success photos along with some aftermath photos?

For 8/10 months out of the year we hear opinions on arrow effectiveness and broadhead results but all we ever seem to hear are words and see pictures of hide side shots. There are very few people posting actual photo evidence of what they say they saw, when gutting out their quarry.

I am looking for successful hunters that will take a few minutes to stop and take some pictures of what happened inside and also show the outside, as well as tell about their bow/broadhead/etc.

Would you be willing to add factual photo evidence to the discussion?

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
This is from a 2019 spring black bear hunt in Temagamie, Ontario, hosted by Crossbow Magazine.

It's June 3rd, day 2 of the hunt. Weather was a little warm but ideal for the long sits you often do on an ambush style bear hunt. I had seen this bear the previous day and thought he was a bit small to take on day one but there was significant pressure from the peanut gallery back at camp that night to take him if he returned.

My hunting stand was an elevated platform up about 12' off the ground. The shot was about 20 yards and the arrow passed through the bear and buried itself in the soft boreal forest floor. Hunters did find it the following year and it was completely intact.
Ready.jpg

I used a Nitro XRT, ATN's 4K Pro scope (which captured the video), shooting TenPoint's CenterPunch EVO X arrows with Grim Reaper Pro Series Whitetail Special 125 gn, 3 blade mechanical broadhead.

Here is the gear:

The XRT with ATN scope
4KProOnXRT.jpg

TenPoint's CenterPunch EVO X arrows

Grim Reaper Whitetail Special broadhead

The bear went about 15 yards and expired. Here are the results from that 20 yard shot.

Right side exit (head down in this picture)

The same area skinned
ExitW.jpg

The damage to the heart
Heart.jpg

The black bear was 5 years old and far from a record size animal but one I'm very proud to have taken quickly and clean.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
EXCELLENT! Thank you :)

I would have loved to have seen a close up of both lungs and interior rib sections after washing out but all the same, this is just what I am talking about.
Also...
What I have seen (death run) for myself when double lunged. Very short and sweet.

Congrats. Nice Bear :)

The XRT with ATN scopeTenPoint's CenterPunch EVO X arrowsGrim Reaper Whitetail Special broadhead
The bear went about 15 yards and expired. Here are the results from that 20 yard shot.

Right side exit (head down in this picture)
The same area skinned
The damage to the heart
The black bear was 5 years old and far from a record size animal but one I'm very proud to have taken quickly and clean.

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
I will make a honest attempt to remember to take photos and share. As of now I will be using swat Xmag and sevr 2.0 in Xbow and tooth or the arrow XL on compound

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will make a honest attempt to remember to take photos and share. As of now I will be using swat Xmag and sevr 2.0 in Xbow and tooth or the arrow XL on compound
Nice!

I will be doing the same.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'll share a couple, I take very few pictures though.

First one is a big fawn I shot with a NAP Spitfire Doublecross. The right lung is really shredded, almost gone. The shot was a quartering away through the lung and heart. I don't think I took any pictures of the heart. It ran about 40 yards bled a lot and was an easy find.

The second is another heart shot from a big doe. Ran about 100 yards, sparse but followable blood trail. After that she went maybe fifty feet but Ray Charles could have followed that blood if he took his shoes off. That part was a swath about 6 feet wide and solid red. The head on that one was a plain Jane muzzy 3 blade

The third is a big doe I killed with a Rage 2 inch. She died where she stood. The shot took out the carotids and the jugulars on it's way to the heart.

I should have said this as well...I frequently shoot deer (with a crossbow only) that are facing me dead on. Placing the shot just above the clavicles and below the neck. Avoiding problems with that shot REQUIRES being close, 15 yards or less. Closer if you are shooting a slower (under 300 FPS) crossbow, and a solid rest and the skill to make the shot because the margin for error i very small. As should be obvious, my experience is that about any broadhead will work as well as any other. I would say if you are not certain that you can place the shot every time within 1/2 inch of where it needs to go it's a bad idea.

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
This thread goes nowhere without input from a lot of people. We need to see both the stuff that worked and that which did not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts