Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been fascinated with crossbows since I was a kid. I later read all I could about Medieval weapons and of course the crossbow was prominent and always controversial. I made a very crude, junky and innacurate crossbow when I was a kid and finally bought a crossbow just a couple of years ago. I got an Excalibur Phoenix and an Excalibur Point Blanc target bow. I recently ordered a Medieval build from Wyvern. David has a great reputation, so I know I won't be disappointed. I'm fascinated with the ancient and the contemporary high-tech bows. I would love to have a Tenpoint or even the Swiss Twinbow II. Then there is the Talisman Mantis, which is an entirely different kind of beast. $$??!!

·
190 Posts
Well, I have always been an archer and bowhunter. Shoulder/neck (C5/C6) have been giving me problems, so I need to use a crossbow and jumped in with both feet. I have a Desert Stryker and a Excal Vortex coming. I am selling my new Sims Deadzone to keep from causing more harm or aggravation to my neck. I am looking forward to bowhunting this fall for the first time in 2 years. Oh and a head on crash doesn't help a bad neck. I am glad I found this site.

·
1,222 Posts
Tony -

My story is similar to yours. I didn't do a lot of history reading till more receint years, but always thought they were very cool looking. I'm very much a mechanical person, so anything with lots of mechanical things happening got my attention. Shoot an arrow like a rifle....?

Take a long bow...not much interest...though I did shoot a little as a kid. Now add all the mechan. stuff it takes to make a crossbow...and I'm hooked.
I even bought a compound bow after seeing all the "stuff" it takes to make a compound work!

I've had one of Davids (Wyvern) target crossbows for a while now. You won't be disapointed. He does very nice work.

I like the Darton bows (3), got a Recon175 on order, my Stryker is fun to shoot. I receintly bought a very well kept Barnett Thunderbolt just for the fun of it. I like the bull-pup design.

Mike

·
115 Posts
I have always been fascinated with crossbows since I was a kid.

I bought my first one, however, only last year. It is one of the Eagle 180lb draw bows. I really wish I could afford a Barnett Predator and either a Middleton DTM375 or an Excal Exomax, but money is not easy for me to come by, so I am praying I win the drawing so I can get the Vortex.

I guess I just like to hit bulls eyes in any targeting situation ... pitching baseball, shooting guns, conventional archery, crossbows, throwing rocks (LOL), etc.

:D

·
Hunter
6,187 Posts
Why a Crossbow?

Always a Bow hunter,While field dressing a Nice Deer , cut my hand very badly with a hatchet.
Had two surgeries to repair Tendon and other parts of hand.
During the extensive theraphy over several months developed Carpal tunnel,as well as arthritus.
Had the Carpal tunnel surgery,but still unable to shoot Regular bow.Obtained a special crossbow permit here in Indiana.
Have always wanted to shoot crossbows so here I am.

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
Have always enjoyed deer hunting, first shotgun, rifle, then single shot handgun and muzzleloader, but it ceased to be challenging one after the other. Tried archery but a badly injured shoulder, and arthritis in the other, prevented my practicing enough to meet personal standards for accuracy.
I also enjoy 'messin' with things, making them work better and making my own (like handloading 18 different metallic cartridges). And bows have so much to mess with, so I convinced the proprietor of the local outdoor store to order in a Parker Terminator, something I could mess with and shoot. It was love at first try. That Terminator led to a Vortex and there is a Cyclone on the way as we 'speak.'
The bows each required experimentation with strings and arrows, fletching, broadheads and sighting devices until I was satisfied I'd maxed their performance. Taught self to make strings and cables for the Terminator, Flemish strings for the Excalibur. (Spent countless hours making 'practice strings' with braided fishline and taking them apart until they were just right.) The new hobby required the making of a bow press, string jig and stretcher. Next came making own arrows and targets. Man, I am in bow-messin' hog-heaven. I live out, on acreage, so I can practice every day. Retired, so I can hunt deer every day and I do. I see a lot but shoot only one or two per year for the freezer. (My wife calls it "deer watching with a bow.") I still carry a firearm during that season when hunting out of a deer camp with the guys. But have not used one to shoot a deer in several years.
I retired several years ago from a demanding top management position. There was some concern by others how I'd weather the transition from being so busy to "inactivity." No problem, weight is down by 20 lbs; same with blood pressure. In part because I'd quit all stress-causing boards and committees. But mostly because crossbows give me the an outlet for my creative energy.

·
Banned
364 Posts
I've been an archer since I was a kid, some 55+ yrs ago. Couldn't afford a rifle and ammo was really cost prohibitive. Grew up hunting with home made long bows and arrows. kept hunting with a bow thru the decades and it became second nature to me. Hunted with some famous and not so famous bowmen, now long since passed away. Progressed from hand made stick bows thru all the different bows including compound and then back to a hand made yew longbow.
My career required me to carry a handgun and other firearms as a part of my job. Did a lot of gun building and reparing, plus handloading over the last 40yrs; but still loved my bows. Five years ago, about 8months before I retired, I suffered my final and most dehabilitating gunshot wound. Made a serious mess of my left hand. Four surgeries and countless physical therapy sessions later I still cannot exert enough squeezing pressure with my hand to hold anything. Holding a vertical bow became impossible, tried duct taping it to my hand , long leaher straps to wrap it . Nothing worked. Went to a crossbow after a while so I could still enjoy the early fall time in the woods. I developed a real love for crossbows and since have acquired several. I am constantly tinkering and trying to improve them. I shoot several times a week and hunt every chance I get.

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Well you boys are lucky. Yep, even the physically wounded ones. Me? GOD decided one night to screw with someone and that was me. Yep it was. I wasn't even really a hunter either. Here's what happened.
While sleeping, I had this dream and something told me I had to have a crossbow. I had never even seen one much less shoot one. For some reason, it was my lifes new mission to get a crossbow and hunt with it. So, Santa brought me the only crossbow for sale probably in the state of Texas at that time. Then, everything started falling into place just like it had been planned for me. I had no idea of what I was doing, but it all seemed just so perfect. Too perfect. It surely weren't me at the reigns! I had to figure out how it worked from scratch as there was not a soul I knew of who had any experience at all with this weapon. I set up shots @ 40 yards AND I was so, so unrealistically successful at harvesting these different trophy animals that seem to come from now where.
My hunting partner who has hunted all his life kept telling me that what I was doing was unreal and way, way lucky and that someday, my luck would run out. Even bad shots turned good. I'm going to tell a story on myself here.
My first buck ever, I was so nervous.Shooting 40 yards, I pulled the trigger on the crossbow and the arrow ricocheted off of a metal corn feeder and hit the buck perfectly through the heart. I found the buck 25 yards from where he stood when I shot, but I was so bedazzled as I hadn't realized what happened. I told my hunting partner that when I shot, I saw sparks fly before the arrow hit the deer in the heart. Experienced, he knew exactly what had happened! He still says I can't believe how lucky you are.
Sometime after that, I realized this must be what they call my destiny. I don't know exactly where it's leading me, but I do know I'm on that path that will lead me where I'm supposed to be and doing whatever it is I'm supposed to do. So, I'm just along for the ride and enjoying it the whole way. What can I say? That bow was a Horton Legend 165lb pull with a peep site. I've put it up for my grandson even though he has an Explorer 150 he hunts with.

·
Administrator
6,085 Posts
Living in Ohio, I have always been able to shoot a crossbow. The crossbow here is almost a given when it comes to first time bow hunters and recruiting young children and women who would like to bow hunt but cannot pull the minimum required draw weight. Plus you can use it the entire archery season.(4 months long!!)
I'm sorry about the old and injured guys and girls out, but glad you had an option to turn to to keep you in the woods.

·
211 Posts
I come from a family of hunters and have hunted all my life, I was also pretty wild in my youth, add high performance motorcycles into that and it sometimes doesnt add up into a pretty picture...
in 1988 I was out racing around some old back roads and drifted my bike off a corner at around 55mph and into the trees along side the road, I broke 14 bones and had very extensive(and very bad) internal injuries, that more than qualified me for a crossbow permit... I also raced motocross(and still do once in a while), which had its own fair share of injuries... all in all I've broken well over 20 bones throughout my life and thats not even getting into all the joint seperations, dislocations, tendons/ligaments, and all the other soft tissue damage...
I've often thought about getting my permit over the years but didnt have a crossbow, or much experince with them, and never went through with it, my dad has hunted with a crossbow for a number of years now and I shot his quite a bit and liked it... about two years ago I fell on my right wrist and bent my hand back against my forearm seperating all the bones in my wrist and tearing all the ligaments, it took about $35,000 worth of surgery to repair and cost me almost a year off work, I also ended up with only about 50% of my original mobility back, I got my permit and bought an excalibur phoenix right after that to be able to hunt that years bow season(I couldnt use a verticle bow then) and found I really enjoyed it, I wish I'd gotten one years ago...

I can still shoot my vertical bow just fine, although the poundage I'm comfortable shooting has dropped a bit, and I still bowfish, but I see my archery seasons being done with my crossbow from now on

·
1,254 Posts
I've been a bowhunter for over 30+years..i'm getting older and don't have all my strength in my arms as i did when i was younger and also it was just another challenge for me...I've missed a few deer with my xbow and found out that it was'nt easy cocking the x in the tree so i'm limited to one shot and that makes it a challenge for me where if i had the bow, i could possably get another shot off, I love shooting both bows and will continue to,till my legs won't carry threw the woods....Thunderbolt

·
163 Posts
I have always been intrigued by xbows but never bought one until they were recently legalized in Michigan for firearms deer season. I enjoy deer hunting with it so much that I sold my deer rifle.

·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Interesting stories..........

......good reading. I do tend to be more fascinated with older weapons and get more satisfaction from them. There's just something about a crossbow.............

·
41 Posts
I have hunted deer on/off since 1977 with both gun and bow. Due to time constaints i stopped bow hunting in 1996 and gun hunting in 1998. i started to gun hunt again in 2004 and bow hunt in 2006. I realized that in that time span that my vision had changed. I always used glasses for distance but now I needed them for reading. Hunting with bifocals were not a problem with a gun as it had a scope but trying to look thru a peep aligning it up with blurry pins and a target wasn't working out that well. i did manage to harvest 3 deer with my bow but I lost one too(2006). I want to add that the 3 deer I killed were hit in the spine, jugular vein and leg not really the area that I thought my arrow was going to hit. I decided that for 2007 i would buy a brand new bow -Ross 337 and a red dot scope which would eliminate trying to focus on three different planes. Anyway the red dot was impossible for me to set up so i decided that i would hunt w/o glasses as my pins were fairly clear but the target was blurry. I also realized that the new fiber-optic sights and large peep were better than the equipment that I had used on my early 90's bow(Darton Mustang).Well first time out in 2007 a doe popped into view around 20 yards away, I never heard her coming cause I am hard of hearing but I have dealt with that all my life. I guess i was a little rattled and shot further back than i wanted but said i will let her lie overnight and get her in the morning. i found her the next morning but so did the coyotes. That was my first and last bow hunt for 2007. I had thought about a crossbow since I could put a scope on them but in NYS you can not use them for hunting. Well I researched x-bows and realized I would need something simple as there aren't x-bow dealers in my area. I decided if i was going to get one it would be an excalibur. I started bidding on e bay for them but always got out bidded as i wasn't that serious in getting one since I could not hunt with it. One night in january i placed a last minute bid in for a NIB xcal phoenix and to my surprise i got it for $305.00. i then bought the right stuff package and have been target shooting ever since that time. Right now they have a bill in front of our assembly and state senate to let DEC decide where this weapon belongs. If it passes they will permit it in general gun season, for disabled hunters and seniors. I would be content for that now as i plan to use it for our general gun season but I would like it to be used in all seasons.

·
Banned
258 Posts
Due to age and bad shoulders and a fellow called awshucks and his
guidance started shooting a cross bow and with the help of a few
have settled on a Ten Point Curve and am hooked on them for good.
Cannot thank enough Wyvern Crossbows for all his help and instruction
and patience with this old man,he isnt just a dealer but a true friend!

·
11,411 Posts
Archery nut for 44 years

In 1963 I made a decision to buy my first hunting bow, a $29.00 American Archery recurve. I killed the first buck I ever shot at with it. I could not believe what I had just done and although I was already a deer hunter, having grown up on a farm in North Carolina, I knew I was hooked forever. Then it was on to Bear recurves and Microflite arrows. I shot NFAA field rounds also and became totally hooked on archery. We managed to get bowhunter freestyle class going. In 1972 I was the first archery nut in this neck of the woods to own an Allen compound bow. Next it was Olympus metal handle compounds and after that I settled on Astro Stinger 2 wheel compounds. I was making my own rope/spike triggers by then and could tune these bows to bare shaft at 30 yards using a springy rest. Shot lots of deer with the Astro Stinger. My job was taking more of my time around 1980, having to travel to Europe several times per year, working for a major premium optics company. I decided to stick with traditional equipment for a while as I did not have time to play with all the gadgets that were very much a part of compound hunting and tournament bows. My tournament activity was taking a back seat too but no way was I giving up my bowhunting. Of all the things I've done in life, including drag racing, handgun hunting, reloading ammunition, silhouette hand gun competition, fishing, rebuilding 1970's muscle cars, muzzle loading and on and on, there is nothing I'd rather be doing than sitting up a tree bowhunting..........nothing.
I retired in December 2004 as VP Technical Operations for the European company mentioned above. I had envisioned myself bowhunting for another 15 years with my hunting buddy of 33 years. I was in for a rude awakening.
Suddenly, 3 1/2 years ago I found I had severe arthritis in my neck and right shoulder. To make a long story short, my vertical bow shooting days were over........just like that! This, other than losing a loved one, is the most tragic thing that ever happened to me and it still hurts. Thank God for crossbows. Ive now sold all my compound bows and long bows and only have 2 Bear takedown recurves left and they are also for sale. Ive learned to live with the extra weight of crossbows for hunting by hunting out of ladder stands instead of climbing tree stands which I used for 20 years. I can still make strings and cables, make my own arrows, experiment with different crossbow and arrow setups and sighting systems just as I did with my vertical bows. Im now working to get crossbow classes accepted in local 3D tournaments. I think I have my foot in the door with this but the hard part is to get crossbow shooters to come out and try something theyve never done before. There is also some reluctance due to the anti-crossbow venom spewed out by some so-called professional bowhunting organizations. Im currently dong some archery/crossbow equipment consulting that takes very little of my time. It is fun to evaluate existing products and develop more logical system and configurations from a hunters practical point of view. Some of them seem so obvious that I wonder if anyone ever put any thought into it before. Im currently down to about 8 crossbows but have a new one coming soon. That will give me another couple months of fun.

·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Excellent

Moonkryket,
It sounds like you've had a fascinating, rich life, and still get to enjoy crossbows to the fullest. Keep on keeping on...............

·
224 Posts
Moonkryket said:
... there is nothing I'd rather be doing than sitting up a tree bowhunting..........nothing...
Agreed. It gives me time to think about all of the questions I have.

My favorite one is "When will the buck that is coming to me 20 minutes from
now hear the string and will it matter to either one of us?"

I say yes to both :)

I got here because of medical challenges.
Been hunting a long long time :)
Beem bowhunting almost as long.
Hope to keep hunting for a long long time!!

I am very thankful for crossbows, and very appreciative of the fact that because of the support of others before me....that the crossbow was here
for me when I needed it. This is my reason for being active at the state county levels in laws and regulations.

Pete

·
327 Posts
Interesting stories here, I wish mine was as fascinating.

Since I was nine Id always wanted a bow and arrow. I begged and pleaded every birthday and Xmas from my parents for a Fred Bear Whitetail compound or his take down Hunter Recurve. My parents were avid anti hunting and anti anything to do with weapons of any kind. Ergo I had to settle for making my own bows out of branches with a jack knife and instructions from books at our local library. The bows I made pretty much stunk. Theyd last for about three weeks and then develop some major string follow that they lost all ability to cast an arrow beyond fifteen yards. My friends were nice about it and I often got to shoot their bows.

When I was 19 the girl I was dating seriously bought me my first bow as a present, much to my parents chagrin. It was a Stemmlar Sting. I shot this thing over and over again and fell in love with it. As I got more involved with college, my martial arts and with girls, archery, sadly, took a back seat for five years. Right out of college I got married, had kids and that bow moved around with me, unused from 1986 to 1993. At that point I had pretty much settled into a new house and a steady job. A friend of mine, Brian, had been shooting for years and was over on evening. He spotted the bow, wrapped in plastic in the corner of my office. He asked me about it and I unwrapped it and we wound up taking it out to the backyard and shooting the fiberglass arrows into a large dirt mound in my back yard. That was pretty much all it took to get smitten all over again. I started making my own arrows and joined a local rod and gun club.

Later I discovered the joy of stump shooting with a longbow or recurve and passed that on to my son. We spent many hours in the woods shooting at pine cones and rotted stumps etc.

It was only this year that I discovered crossbows. Brian purchased a 225lb draw Horton Recurve to check out from Cabellas. He invited me over and we shot this crossbow for several hours. From that he purchased a Stryker, a Desert Stryker, a Darton Impact and one other that I cant remember. I really found the idea of crossbow shooting intriguing. It was like shooting a short range rifle without the loud bang. I just purchased my first crossbow a few weeks ago (Darton Impact) and had it checked out by a Darton Rep. I had the Darton Rep make six custom 2219 arrows with 125 grain field tips for the bow and Im ready to go. I shot the bow several times at his shop this past Saturday and it is unbelievably accurate and fast. Im happily addicted and look forward to sharing this newfound passion with my son and with my daughter; shes intrigued by it and wants to learn.

I am fortunate to have found this forum and already met several great people like Mike, DAGriz, KLV and so many other friendly, knowledgeable people.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts