Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im new to the crossbow world and i really dont know about darton xbows are they good and realible.im trying to do my reserch on all xbows befor i buy my second bow,what is top of the line for darton xbow,and what price range am i looking at.(about) like i said are these bow pretty trouble free and accurate.why should i buy darton over say barnett just a example!!! thanks for any help here.

·
310 Posts
Rhannah,
The Darton's are made in the U.S.A., and have the lowest percentages of rework verus units sold in the industry. You can see that by the issues others are having, and the number of posts about it here. (No posts about Dartons)
The triggers are one of the best I have shot in a Crossbow, if not the best.
Which ones are top of the line? I feel all are. You need to decide what speed you want to shoot. Speeds start at 335 fps (Terminator), and go to 400 fps (Fireforce) depending on model you want.
They are one of the quieter crossbows on the market. Accurate, and very dependable. I do not know how many shots you plan on putting through yours, but I can bet you I am doing more without issue. When I go to a shoot, or to hunt Hogs, Deer, or Gators, I am not worried about the crossbow. It will perform.
I hope this helps. FYI, I also shoot their compound bows. Same story.

·
Registered
426 Posts
My Buddy owns a Darton (i would have to ask him which model), we sighted it in last month and shot it about 50 times...deadly accurate. I am a Tenpoint user (just received mine this past Friday). He also just received a Scorypd Ventilator...beleive he is selling his Darton. Its well maintained (he takes care of his equipment). I am impressed with his Darton. If I to buy anything other than a Tenpoint, I would buy a Darton....and like Hoss said, made it the USA, Let us know which you choose. David

·
Registered
38 Posts
Gotta go with what hoss said. My wife and I shoot their compounds and crossbows

·
1,222 Posts
I've got 9 crossbows..of various brands.
I currently have one older Barnett, but have had a "few". The Barnett lineup (to me), is a coupla classes below the Darton bows (no, I haven't had a Barnett in the last coupla years). I currently own three Darton bows. One thing Darton doesn't seem to do is stray far from the "norm"/or prooven if you will. They have a standard formula that they refine and make small changes to every coupla years. For the most part, they just get better. Even other brands have used Darton parts, like the trigger box.

The way the Darton bow is designed, they are very accurate, easy on strings and cables.......and accurate. I've got two pairs of "Robbin Hood's" to proove that. That is, before I stopped shooting two arrows at the same target..!
While many/most current bows are accurate, the Darton's are right up there with the best.
As far as problems, with my three.......so far...zero problems. Just as with any crossbow, keep it clean, the strings, cables and flight track lubed......a Darton bow will serve you well.

Mike

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok guys well thats what i was looking for good inpho,i wasent nocking darton like i said im new here and you guys help me out thanks again.im going to dig a little bit more in the darton xbows and see what fits my style the best.thans again,

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I've been considering buying a Darton Fireforce for some time, along with three other bows.

About a week ago I talked with a representative of a new xbow company to get information about their product. The company was reportedly formed recently by young men who have worked in the crossbow industry for some time and have taken the big step of putting their own product on the market. And according to what I've seen on this site and elsewhere they are doing a great job. I admire he and his cohorts, by the way. It takes a lot of courage to do what they're doing.

The gentleman I talked with answered my questions very competently and near the end of our conversation asked me what bows I was considering and when I told him he went on to point out what he thought the short-comings of each bow were. When I mentioned Darton, he referred to it as being kind of "klunky". The conversation ended cordially shortly afterward.

What struck me was here was a very knowledgeable crossbow person who is well experienced in the design and in fact the manufacter of crossbows and the only negative thing he could think of was "klunky". I got kind of a kick out of that. If that's all he could come up with in terms of negatives, I think that actually says a lot about the high quality of the bow.

The Fireforce is a little heavier than what I want right now, but I've never heard any one having a problem with them or any Darton. On this site, I've never seen a problem or issue of any kind mentioned. And there are a couple of videos on Youtube that suggest they're very accurate.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks and klunky i can deal with..broken string, cabels ,limbs ,ect'' i can not lol.thanks sounds like a well made xbow.

·
1,222 Posts
What does "klunky" mean in the first place ?

No, they aren't "spacecraft" looking, though the newer stocks aren't old pieces of wood either..!

And just because someone is building their own crossbows, doesn't make them experts in anything..!? Though they may well have good ideas, but again...what's "klunky" ?

Darton has patents out there that other manufacturers are paying to use...that on it's own should say something for the design of their parts.
Their bows are hardy and accurate, and I have "yet"...to see a recall from Darton for any problem, like most of the rest of the manufacturers.

Mike

·
Registered
199 Posts
I started with a Darton vertical over thirty years ago.Now that we can use crossbows during archery season,and my shoulder says vertical bows are out,I have a Darton Phazer.It shoots great.I did have to have it repaired after using it four years and it took less time to repair than it did to ship.The guys in Michigan were great to talk to.

·
35 Posts
rhannah said:
im new to the crossbow world and i really dont know about darton xbows are they good and realible.im trying to do my reserch on all xbows befor i buy my second bow,what is top of the line for darton xbow,and what price range am i looking at.(about) like i said are these bow pretty trouble free and accurate.why should i buy darton over say barnett just a example!!! thanks for any help here.
Look for the Viper SS Extreme. It does not get better than that. The trigger is just perfect, veeery smooth and accurate. Whole unit is solid, compact, silent, very powerfull and accurate. And the price is WAY more affordable than any of the "popular" brands.

·
Registered
308 Posts
[SIZE=10.5pt]Only comparable crossbows I've owned were the Ten Point Vapor and the Barnett Ghost 410. IMO the Fireforce is a much more reliable crossbow. I'm one of those guys that hunts hard, and am tough on equipment. Its going to ride in the back of the truck and the bottom of the duck boat, I'm going to get it dirty and rough it up, I probably won't run over it with the truck but I might drop it from a treestand. I will shoot it hundreds and hundreds of shots culling BE arrows and then another hundred tuning broadheads. I knock the cam against the tree everytime I sit it down on the stand, I won't clean it after I use it, I'll take it out in the rain, snow or heavy wind. I know for a fact I'm going to be hard on equipment. I've had good name crossbows that didn't last a week at the range and never made it into the woods (Vapor, Ghost 410). I've beat on the FireForce. Shot the snot out of it. Worn out 3 strings, cracked the string bumpers and the barrell bumper in 4 months of owning it. Wasn't shooting every single day, but all most every day leading up to the season. Bows heavy, trigger isn't the greatest, but....best crossbow I've owned. Tank like tough. Right arrow, amazingly accurate. Only problem I'll cite it for is speed. These fast bows need certain broadheads to maintain arrow stability. This does reduce broadhead choice if you want to maintain 1 inch accuracy at 50 yards. I'm a 30 year Muzzy guy. I can't shoot my great big Muzzys thru this crossbow at 390 fps and have decent results at 30 yards. So I'm restricted to slick trick standards. They've been dropping everything just fine. I did shoot a couple of deer with a Muzzy and a slick trick up close to compare results. Both were front chest shot at about 20 yards, muzzy lodged in rear hip, slick trick went clean thru. Both deer went less then 30 yards, both deers ended equally dead, no noticeable difference in either outcome.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]That being said, 280 fps of 450 grains (and probably less) 1.5 inch sharp broadhead entering a whitetail deer in a line that will cause the arrow to enter the heart will result in a deer just as dead as the one with the muzzy in it or the one with that had that slick trick go all the way thru it. You got 26 inches of drop at 50 yards, aim high. Dead is dead.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Do a forum / internet search. Look for Darton crossbow problems. Check Ten Point, Barnett, Scorpyd, Excalibur. Compare problems. Results will speak for themselves. IMO, the results you'll find are what they are, It’s just hard to find anyone who's had problems with Darton. IMO. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Darton does not sponsor me in anyway. Other than being a customer, I have no business relationship with Darton or any other crossbow or archery manufacture.[/SIZE]

·
Registered
8,593 Posts
I like the "disclaimer"!! LOL I have shot a friends Darton bow & it was accurate & had a well made feel about it! The only issue I had was locating a dealer in my area with stock to look at! I agree with DuckhuntinUSA you don't see many problem posts about Darton. BUT to be honest how many Dartons are out there...I have see ONE in the woods or at my clubs. That does not make it a bad bow just limited availability. So to use the criterion of a google search for problems is a little misleading. TenPoint & Excal probably out sell Darton by a wide margin. I agree the Darton seems to be a very well made & dependable bow but using a google search for "problems" is comparing apples to oranges! DuckhuntingUSA is correct in that I have not seen or heard of any on going problems...and that is a good thing!

·
Banned
3,103 Posts
Tim50: Some very good points but I always found that Darton did not appeal to the masses even as a Vertical , it wasn't that they produced a bad product but how many advertisements do you see about them compared to others, very few if any. The members that do use them are very satisfied and have minimum issues which speaks well of the product, Darton needs to step up it's marketing and distribution if they want to break into the top line market and really this would be the time to do it as all archery is becoming more popular and crossbows are gaining acceptance. Cactus

·
Registered
760 Posts
Darton aspires to its own goals. They do not feel any need to do anything other than what they do. They make world class archery products and they keep busy. Their business model is stellar. They remain steady and profitable in most economic trends, they let word of mouth work for them and it does in fact work. They have been in business 65 years. Darton sets their own course. They've been here longer than anyone and they'll be here longer than anyone. Seems to me that's a pretty good business plan.

Additionally, they build the Mission for Mathews, and supply several componets to other manufacturers. Rex Darlington has more patents in the industry than just about anyone. Truth be known, and this is fact, many of the great cam systems you see in other "Name Brands" are Rex Darlington designs. Being great at what you do doesn't always look like a Mathews advertisment. Just sayin.

·
Registered
8,593 Posts
Did not know that about the Darton/Mathews connection! I personally would choose a Darton over the Mathews in a heart beat! The Darton is IMO a much better feeling bow and I will take a stirrup any day over sticking my boots into the limbs....Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
760 Posts
You would be surprised by the things Darton is involved in and who they are involved with. Rex Darlington is a sage of the industry.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts