Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know, this is an interesting question when someone asks me "WHY do I hunt?" To answer a non hunter is different than replying to some one who's had the experience. So, if you are asked, (and I'm asking), what is your reply as to WHY you hunt if a non hunter was interested in your answer. What would you want this person or group to know?

·
11,411 Posts
Tough question to answer because

it's not a shallow subject for me. Part of it, I think, is in my genes. It's something man has done since the beginning of man to survive. Question, how did a means of survival evolve into something called a "sport"? Because man domesticated animals for food resulting in not having to hunt for them. That's all fine and dandy but our "zillions" of years' heritage of hunting is still in us.................hidden in some of us because of our environment and changing ways of life. That chicken and beef between 2 slices of bread is on the boulevard now so it's much easier to get than going down into the forest looking for a wild one and wild chickens and cows don't exist anymore around here. What's remaining for many of us is still this burning desire to be out in nature trying to outwit an animal that is much better at survival than we are at killing him. Yes, we call it a sport but I feel that it's much more..........something I and many others were born with and I'm thankful to God that I was. Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and take me some venison. It's for me much more than a "sport".

Attachments

·
Armed Citizen
1,918 Posts
I could give you a long formula of reasons. When you add that formula all up the answer is going to be MEAT. The things they do to commercial meat with vitamins and hormones and selective breeding is scary. I'll take natures cull any day.

·
Banned
364 Posts
I hunt becuase it is an important part of my heritage and I would much prefer to eat the meat of wild animals than domestically raised critters. My grandfather taught me how to hunt as his ancestors did. HUnting as our people did, for our food ,is as much a part of my family as anything.

·
329 Posts
GG,

i'd tell them that i just now bought a new chest-freezer this morning & it's EMPTY.

that answer should drive the FRUITS & NUTS of PETA crazy. = chuckle.

yours, texasnative46

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
For the same reasons that others enjoy golf, sailing, birdwatching and other numerous legal activities: It sooths my soul. This morning I spent hours in a turkey blind. I didn't kill anything, even though I could have. I watched, listened to and marveled at the parade of nature before me. Not just wildlife, the wind; spring emerging; the brooding sky; snow quietly receding, losing it's grip on the earth. And tho I was awake at 4:30 AM to do so it was worth every minute (hour, actually) of lost sleep. I choose to hunt alone and enjoy it immensely. It's one of few few times that I find true inner peace. If the person hearing that can't relate, then there is nothing more to say.

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
buckeye dan said:
I could give you a long formula of reasons. When you add that formula all up the answer is going to be MEAT. The things they do to commercial meat with vitamins and hormones and selective breeding is scary. I'll take natures cull any day.
Buckeye Dan, I would like to know what your formula is. Those thoughts and words are the important part. There's plenty of space here to share your in- depth thoughts and emotions pertaining to why you hunt. Please share. I'm looking forward to reading about why you hunt, other than the way our food is produced now a days. What gives you the PASSION to hunt?

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cossack said:
For the same reasons that others enjoy golf, sailing, birdwatching and other numerous legal activities: It sooths my soul. This morning I spent hours in a turkey blind. I didn't kill anything, even though I could have. I watched, listened to and marveled at the parade of nature before me. Not just wildlife, the wind; spring emerging; the brooding sky; snow quietly receding, losing it's grip on the earth. And tho I was awake at 4:30 AM to do so it was worth every minute (hour, actually) of lost sleep. I choose to hunt alone and enjoy it immensely. It's one of few few times that I find true inner peace. If the person hearing that can't relate, then there is nothing more to say.
Bravo! Well said. I feel the same. I'll post my response later down the line.

·
211 Posts
I hunt for the same reason I do everything else in life that I like to do, because I enjoy doing it, I dont know how to explain it any more indepth than that...
if its the case though I dont much care explaining anything in my "defence" to anyone passing judgement as to why I do the things I do, nor do I much care what others think of it...

·
Armed Citizen
1,918 Posts
Guide Girl said:
Buckeye Dan, I would like to know what your formula is. Those thoughts and words are the important part. There's plenty of space here to share your in- depth thoughts and emotions pertaining to why you hunt. Please share. I'm looking forward to reading about why you hunt, other than the way our food is produced now a days. What gives you the PASSION to hunt?
When most kids got their first BB gun I was already shooting a winchester lever action single shot 22LR. I started shooting at age 5 and started hunting as soon as I was able to keep up. By age 10 I was hunting the woods on my own with a single shot 20 gauge. I was chasing beagles right around the same time. By age 12 I was going on night champion coon hunts with my cousin. At age 18 I took my first deer with a shotgun that I received for that birthday. At age 19 I was bow hunting. I am not poor and could easily buy t-bones at the store but why bother if I can bag some back straps? I enjoy hunting sure enough but I enjoy eating my quarry as much too.
I guess it's just my way of life. Do I hunt for sport or thrill? Not really. I often get asked why I never goose or duck hunt? The answer is simple...I don't much care for the meat so why kill them? I was raised with ethics that barely exist today. In fact if I were to give my son the freedoms that I had they would probably lock me up and take him away. Do I hunt for a big trophy rack? Nope but I'll take one if the opportunity presents itself. My view on that subject is that it will have to beat my trophy from 1992. It's a huge 15 pointer that scored 178 3/8. I have taken one other buck since that one and it was a decent 8 pointer. I shot that one because I liked the shape of the rack and thought it would make a good rattler. I mainly hunt for young does. I could care less if a nice 10 pointer walks by me...if it won't out score my wall hanger I would rather eat his little girlfriend. It really is about the food preference with me and not much more.

·
64 Posts
I hunt because I get a great sense of being closer to

nature and all the great beauty that God has created. It is also is the challenge to harvest an animal. I don't hunt anything that I personally don't eat. I would rather kill a doe for meat, but if a nice buck comes by I will certainly take him. I love to hunt squirrels, nothing better then fried squirrel.

I had an older man tell me a long time ago that he thought I probably saved a lot of money on groceries because of my hunting and fishing. I chuckled and said no that is not the reason I hunt. As we all know license and equipment etc. cost a lot and it would probably be a lot cheaper to buy your T-Bones.

My dad was a hunter and I went with him every chance I got and just loved being in the woods. He taught me how to hunt responsibly and I passed it on to my son.

·
11,411 Posts
Yep....we are products of our environment

One reason hunting is in slow decline is that less fathers are teaching and envolving their kids in hunting. Too bad.

·
Armed Citizen
1,918 Posts
Moonkryket said:
One reason hunting is in slow decline is that less fathers are teaching and envolving their kids in hunting. Too bad.
Not the case in my family however I am careful. When I was 10 my uncle or cousins would hand me a single 20 gauge and 4 shot shells and tell me to go shoot 4 squirrels. Some of the time I could only get 2 or 3 but I knew the value of that shell and I didn't waste it on the empty bottle or old tin can just to shoot the gun. It was a tool for hunting and nothing more to me.
I have tried to instill these values in my son. But in this day and age if I let him run the woods unsupervised they would punish me or him or both. I was driving farm equipment when most kids were still on a big wheel. To me that was a responsibility that must be earned. Did I test my boundaries and do things I was not supposed to do?..Well yea! I was a kid. But life was a lot easier when I followed the rules so I learned.
Today society tries to separate youth from guns. PETA and other like groups try to call us as parents "animal killers". I saw a watermelon explode from a 10 yard shot from a 12 gauge with 00 buck when I was around 6 years old. When you teach a child the power they yield and display that power very graphically they learn. (It worked for me and my offspring anyways.)
We as a Brady Bunch society try to "shelter the children" instead of showing them what they are capable of and teaching the value of life as a rule.
In my house one shell/bullet/arrow = attempt at food on the table.
In the ghettos of the cities one shell/bullet/arrow = avoiding a black eye. This is WRONG!

·
64 Posts
Dan well said,

reminds me of my dad giving me 3 22 shorts for an old Remington 22 auto built on the Browning patent and telling me not to shoot them unless at a rabbit.

·
11,411 Posts
My first hunting gun

was my grandmother's 410 Iver Johnson single shot. It's been mine since....still locked up in my safe. Brings back great memories from so long ago.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts