Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first Sniper 370 I had, before shooting I waxed the strings and lubed the flight rail. I lube the flight rail every 12 shots.

My center serving started to fray after about 80 shots. I sent it back to Crosman and they said it must have been a manufacturing defect, so they sent me a brand new one. After exactly 13 shots with this one, I notice it is starting to wear although not fraying.

Anyone know why this is? Did I get another lemon perhaps?

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Liam: using my Barnett Ghost 410 as a reference. I brought the prongs into an up right shooting position. I then cut 3M 2000 grit sand paper about 1/4" wide and polished each prong. Wipe the area down good afterward. This paper feels very smooth to the touch, but high end body shops use this prior to clear coating a vehicle. One can go to 3000 grit if you require. The higher the number, the finer the grit. Automotive stores carry this product.

I am not familiar how long the string and cables stand up that Crossman uses. One could but a layer of Angel Majesty, served as tight as possible over the original serving to help prevent wear.

I use Trident Silicone Grease available on the internet in a 2 fluid ounce jar which is an excellent lubricant. This is a high quality product that does not dry out or gum up. I use it on the bow string, bow string serving, cables, a light coat on the rail and for easier arrow removal from foam style targets, a light coat on the front 3 to 4 inch of the arrow shaft.

I use 60X which is a high quality bow string and cable system on my Barnett purchased directly from their site. I have tested their product on my modified Barnett Ghost 410, shooting slightly over 500 feet per second. Regular shooting is 430 feet per second with a 412 grain arrow-point combination. 60X provides excellent customer service.
All the best.

·
Registered
13,341 Posts
Ive never had that problem with the center serving and I have shot my bow a lot over the past year. It sounds like the latches are a bit rough though. You can Utube it and see it isn't that hard to remove the trigger mechanism and then polishing the latches would be very easy to do. (I removed mine for a trigger job.) That's probably the route I'd go. BTW, I usually lube the rails (very lightly) about every 25-30 shots, I keep the string waxed regularly, and NEVER lube or wax the servings. When new I ALWAYS dab a drop of SuperGlue on all the ends of the servings on all my bow strings. Hope this helps.

Reactions: bunnyrabbit

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I'm on my 2nd Sniper. The 1st one had the cables to fray early.

The manual does not recommend lube on the serving.

As for the serving early wear it's the due to the small radius of the latch which contacts the serving. Also the radius could be rough and need polishing.

Other crossbow designs add a generous radius so that makes a huge difference.

Another action which causes fast serving wear is the interference of the ADF lever as the cocking craw passes and ducks under the lever boss.

I have modified my cocking claw to stop that.

I considered removing the latch to increase the radius to reduce the serving wear. After shooting my 2nd Sniper I noticed the serving isn't wearing so fast. A local bow shop also replaced the serving free. So I will leave as us for now.

I have 2 new strings that just in case I needed them but I'm getting good wear.

One area that needs generous lub is the cables where they work in and out of the slide insert. Here again I added more rounding of sharp edges were there was none. After more than 600 shots the cables are not fraying.

Reactions: Stalker

·
Registered
9,365 Posts
Sounds like the latches or a rough spot on the rail. Over lubing can also cause the serving to soften and actually wear faster.My first serving had wear marks from the latches in about 100 shots.I eventually reserved the string and the wear from them has been much better.

I'm not sure what kind of rail lube you are using but every 12 shots sounds like too much to me. I dont use the wax type rail lube that came with the bow and use Scorpion Venom rail lube. Polishing the latches is another option or see what Centerpoint says about replacing them.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Just a little FYI!
When you cock your Sniper bow bet sure and pull the string until it stops to allow failing to set the ADF lever in the proper position.
I have done this by stopping the cocking process as soon as the latch was passed by the string in the process. Do this and the ADF lever isn't set properly. There is just enough space after the latch catches to allow a short stroke to cock the bow buy leave the ADF unset. This can allow you to dry fire the bow without putting an arrow in resulting in potential injury to you or the bow damaged. Of course we wouldn't dry fire the bow as we want to put an arrow in the as normal. But we aren't robots and can fail to load an arrow. I have done that.

Also it would be possible to load the arrow and just push it back against the string without forcing it back against the ADF/safety setting mechanism. Then the crossbow would be live or unsafe condition resulting in more potential for severe injury or worse.

Happy and safe shooting to you all!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts