Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well hunting was a part of life growing up. I grew up spending alot of time on my uncles farm. I really enjoyed processing and, cooking of game as a kid and, still enjoy it as much today 44 years later. I find lots of peace in the forest. Saw this post online and, maybe for your kids it's a way today to "digitally" get some involved watching the Alabama Queen and, her father. Ted Nugent posted her and, her dad up for the world to find. What makes you hunt?

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
My Pa was a MS. Delta young'en n hunted for the table. I learned from him dragging me with him after Bears/Big Cats, Raccoons, waterfowl n upland birds. I hunt for meat n a rack of any kind is just a bonus. Would not hurt my feeling to never kill another big racked Buck. Racks just gather dust or are given away when i get too many of them taking up room

·
3,567 Posts
I just simply love to hunt. Always have even as a kid.

Everyone enjoys hunting how they like hunting. Nothing right or wrong about it in my book. Just enjoy your time and shoot what flips your safety.

I'm not the guy hunting with a homemade trad bow anymore. I learned a lesson many years ago watching my wife's Grandpa. He was a big time hunter as age slipped up on him. He ended up just running his rabbit beagles. Using his lawn mower to get up the hollow. As time further slipped by. His chairs where he sat keep getting closer and closer to the house. Until one day i saw him setting in the backyard just feet from the house lessing to his rabbit dogs. He never moved any of those chairs. I guess many a evening thinking i'm going back there tomorrow. There still there rusted and unusable. And he's gone.

It's your hunt, hunt how you want and enjoy yourself.

·
Registered
951 Posts
As a kid I couldn't get enough of the outdoors. Fish, hunt, trap and generally just spend time in the woods or on the water. Its still the best way to spend a day, even at 65 every time I go out I try to learn something different. The lessons are all there, its just my job to figure each one out. Its tough to find kids that will gain the same amount of passion that so many of us have to this day. As kids I guess we didn't have all the techno distractions that are out there today. We could focus on what nature provided.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Staying rural, in the woods or on the water is where to find peace and quiet. Nature, forest and streams have, for the most, remained the same in my part of the country. Thank God for that! I do my best to spend a lot of time enjoying the hardwood timber, lakes and river near my home. That's why I hunt, time away to enjoy what I have accomplished in life and have zero interruptions. Much healthier listening to what nature has to share than what ABC, CBS, CNN offers. Hunting is the icing on the cake. The occasional success while hunting solidifies the memories.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Absolutely!!!! We have been told for years that we must appease the anti hunting/anti gun crowd. Even some “so called” outdoor writers and publications were on that bandwagon. Killing is a part of this. And even though we kill animals, I would venture that hunters have far more respect for game than the anti hunting group does. These turkeys never lived in a cage and were not harvested, they were killed
Grass Wood Pollution Soil Trunk
Military camouflage Automotive tire Plant Tree Terrestrial animal

Every time I read someone post they "harvested" a deer I picture them out picking deer off the vines or pulling them out of the dirt. I kill my deer too. Political correctness has no place in my hunting world.
This is a dead deer:

·
Registered
951 Posts
Deer tongue is actually pretty good, but there isn't much of it. I had a buddy that hunted Africa a few times and learned a trick. He would take the tongue, heart, kidneys and liver and stuff sausage casings, On the grill over a hardwood fire this was fantastic. Great way to use more of the animal.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I grew up with squirrels, rabbits, ducks, fish , and deer meat on the table. Actually a lot more than I listed, in other words, there was very little that was ever on my table that didn’t come from the woods or water. Pretty much all the rest was grown in a garden. I have no idea how many deer my dad has killed, he is 77 now, I have killed probably 180 or more and that’s not even close to him. I got it ingrained in me I guess.
My son, even though he likes to eat these things, doesn’t care a thing about hunting. I love him the same either way. People are different for sure, its all part of Gods plan so we have different skill sets and likes.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
I hunt because it is just what I have always loved to do, same with fishing, same with camping, and all of them I ove doing in the winter as much or more than the summer. I just love the outdoors!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts