Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

· Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What can you tell me about scorpyd? How does it stand up to the big three? Where can you get one? Who works on them? Do they stand behind they're product? Why don't you hear more about them? Share your thoughts or opinions, if you have any please. Would you ever buy one over the big 3? Don't know anything about the company.

· Administrator
TP Nitro 505 x2,Stealth 450, Sub 1 XR,
2,786 Posts
Scorpyd makes very good bows and fast bows. To me their lack of decocking without a contraption of a cocking system is one killer and their overall size and width is the other they are very large bows. They are accurate and reliable tho for the most part. But they do not appeal to me personally. @JerryR is the warranty service department for scorpyd and they do stand behind their product. You can buy them from Wyvern Creations or Scorpyd Direct there are no other retailers of scorpyd.

· Retired
2,132 Posts
Scorpyd is a small company which IMHO is a very good thing. There bows are some of the very best made bows on the market.

I have been repairing their bows for over 3 years and only get about 150 per year to repair. Most of the repairs are non warranty caused by hitting something.

If you make sure you register the bow after purchase. Everything except the string & Cables is covered. I have worked on a ton of crossbows from various companies IMHO there is no better made crossbow

· Registered
84 Posts
I can't speak to the quality of the bow, however I can say that I have been hesitant to add one to my collection because it is a small company.

As an example, it would not surprise me at all if tomorrow the company went out of business due to the owner retiring or other circumstances, however I would be very surprised if one of the larger companies Tenpoint, Ravin, Excalibur etc went out of business.

Parts, warranty etc is a concern of mine

· Registered
644 Posts
I’ve own many scorpyds I still have 3 I also own a ravin and Excalibur also scorpyds are one of the most accurate bows and dependable bows and vibration free out there yes you can’t decock them yes they won’t sell you parts but there strings last there durable and most of all accurate they can compete with any of those fancy bows coming out or are out when I go hunting I always take my scorpyd I’m not a fanboy I just like knowing my bow won’t give me a problem and I don’t constantly have to change strings and tune them some people like to tinker and that’s fine I like to hunt not tinker I also don’t need 500 feet per second there fast enough that’s my opinion on scorpyds

· Registered
2,032 Posts
I have had 3 of them...a Grim Reaper, a Silver Ventilator 150, and an Orion Extreme 175. By far my favorite was the Silver Ventilator 150. Great bows, but they are big. If Scorpyd came out with one with a smaller footprint and a sliding trigger box, I would buy one in a heartbeat!

· Registered
1,759 Posts
I own several. So, I bought them over the big three.
Width might be an issue, but I will accept it for a less acute string angle cocked.
I have no desire for a sliding trigger box. Seems like it would just complicate things.
Not being able to buy parts is their biggest negative for me. I am not talking about limbs and cams, but you can't even buy the center cross cable slide to upgrade the older style parallel two groove cable slide.

· Registered
909 Posts
I own several. So, I bought them over the big three.
Width might be an issue, but I will accept it for a less acute string angle cocked.
I have no desire for a sliding trigger box. Seems like it would just complicate things.
Not being able to buy parts is their biggest negative for me. I am not talking about limbs and cams, but you can't even buy the center cross cable slide to upgrade the older style parallel two groove cable slide.
Can't buy parts + no dealer network (outside of Wyvern Creations) = deal breaker for me

I would strongly consider Scorpyd based on design & performance. I really like their simplicity. If I need to have warranty work done, however, I want to be able to take my crossbow to a local dealer. The thought of mailing off my crossbow for service is a deal breaker for me.

I like that Scorpyd is a small crossbow company. At the same time, it seems driven by one person. I share the same concerns about here today, but gone tomorrow.

Scorpyd crossbows are awesome in many ways, but when they pulled their products from all the local dealerships I became less interested in them.

· Registered
CT, USA
95 Posts
For me Scorpyd is the one because I can rope cock it easily. No crank system, no sliding trigger boxes, etc..
No 300# limbs= no a lot of stress on the whole bow.
Simplicity is what I like. It is easy to work on it, it looks cool, trigger is sweet, and it is dependable cross bow.
Another choice for simple crossbow would be Excalibur, but some of them are north of 200# limbs.

· Registered
1,478 Posts
I own two (that see very little use, haven't been out of the house in the last two years) one being an older silver vent 150 which is a nice bow. The other a DS 420 which is the biggest POS I ever paid for. I will get around to selling it one day. The only reason I ever bought a scorpyd was all the hype I read about them.

· Registered
Ventilator 175 Extreme Scorpyd Velocity 165. Burky Custom mini-reverse swat
901 Posts
Acillaton summed up my reasons. When I go hunting, I most often grab the Vent, because it is always ready and able to do the job. The Velocity is not far behind, but sits on the hook a little more due to it's size. However for 10 years, it is still answering the call, fast and accurate. I've owned nearly every brand except Ravin, and though there are many fine offerings, these are always ready. I do keep a set of spare S&C for them, but I have complete peace of mind that my equipment is ready to hunt.

· Registered
3,638 Posts
Acillaton summed up my reasons. When I go hunting, I most often grab the Vent, because it is always ready and able to do the job. The Velocity is not far behind, but sits on the hook a little more due to it's size. However for 10 years, it is still answering the call, fast and accurate. I've owned nearly every brand except Ravin, and though there are many fine offerings, these are always ready. I do keep a set of spare S&C for them, but I have complete peace of mind that my equipment is ready to hunt.
I have a Deathstalker the width is not a problem and it’s very light I hunt out of trees blinds no problem I mean how narrow does it have to be lot of those narrow bows are under constant pressure DS is made out of composite light just a good hunting bow never had any problems with my Scorpyds and they have great triggers

· Registered
633 Posts
I have a Deathstalker the width is not a problem and it’s very light I hunt out of trees blinds no problem I mean how narrow does it have to be lot of those narrow bows are under constant pressure DS is made out of composite light just a good hunting bow never had any problems with my Scorpyds and they have great triggers
For me it needs to be narrow enough to be comparable to Ravin and TenPoint's narrow offerings. Since I've switched to the Ravin, I've picked up 5 shooting lanes between 5 stands out of the 11 stands we have set up on 160 acres. The narrowness of the Ravin has allowed me the ability to shoot lanes that are tighter to the tree. With my Scorpyds, those shots would have resulted in a blown up bow from the limb hitting the tree. When I hunt out of state on public, there are several setups I wouldn't have been able to go with had I been using the Scorpyd for the reason I described above. A narrower crossbow is just that much better to hunt with in my experience.

· Registered
12 Posts
What can you tell me about scorpyd? How does it stand up to the big three? Where can you get one? Who works on them? Do they stand behind they're product? Why don't you hear more about them? Share your thoughts or opinions, if you have any please. Would you ever buy one over the big 3? Don't know anything about the company.
Great bow, however too big and bulky for what you get, this is where Ten Point hits the nail on the head, especially with the vengent, how narrow do you want a CB.

· Registered
Ventilator 175 Extreme Scorpyd Velocity 165. Burky Custom mini-reverse swat
901 Posts
I've got one of the smallest, narrowest bows made. It is a custom, so not trying to compare it, other than to say I have a couple stands where the tiny platform is advantageous. On my 80 acres, there are only 2 or 3 shots that it would be able to outshine the bigger platforms. Even those, a 70 year old me can maneuver a shot with the so called too big Scorps. I hunt high, and tethered in you can get shots, especially since the RD platform doesn't move very far near the riser. As with any bow, verticle or horizontal, you need to be aware of your surroundings.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts