Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

strange thing happened to me this night.
I was on 4 day fishing /hunting trip in wilderness. I tracked family of 7 wild boars but was not able to get any closer than 50-60 meters. The group is led by big black piece, I suppose old mother. She is over 100 kg and very cautios. One evening, the group was heading to my direction but the led mother stopped and changed direction. ( she probably scent me).

This night, I was sleeping in tent when strong noise woke me up. I heard this group of boars next my tent. I went out of tent, switched the torch and saw them, standing just 15 meters from me. They were gazing on me without any sign of fear. My Horton was 3 meters away and uncocked. I took it and cocked it but they slowly disspeared in night.
This was strange, because fire was still alight. They were not cautios or shy.

My explanation is that they came because they felt the food next to tent.
I dont have explanation for their weird behaviour.
This occured at 2 a.m.

What is your opinion?

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Hogs are very smart animals, (smarter than a dog) and they are also curious. Very nocturnal animals. With the cover of darkness, they feel incognito. Yes, they may have been seeing what the new things in the woods were, or yes, they could have smelled your food. Hogs have a great sense of smell.

Hogs have been my specialty for many years. I have also raised several wild boar that were captured and given to me as presents? I only have one 6 year old gilt left. They will always be wild no matter how much you feed and nurture and love them. Promise! That's another story.

I have been cut and taken down by a boar, so be very careful. They will lay in wait behind a tree and when you pass, take you down by hitting your legs as low as they can to take you off center from behind, then, have their way with you. I have a big scar on my inside left ankle to prove it. I've also be run up a tree and that's what started my hunt for all hogs. I had 4 hours in the dark to think about it.

I don't want to scare you, but I want you to understand to be cautious with them, especially a mama with piglets, an old boar, or a wounded hog. They will turn and come back for you, and they run fast at short distances.

If you would like information on anything pertaining to the hogs, I'll be more than happy to share anything I know. I hunt them year around and it's my favorite thing to kill. Yes I said kill, not harvest.

Attachments

·
329 Posts
GG,
if anything, European wild boar are a LITTLE nastier tempered than our local TX feral/Russian crosses.
our European friend was IN EXTREME DANGER, imVho.

more than one boar put me "up a tall tree", when i was hunting roebuck & red deer in BRD!!! (but, like you, being "treed" made a "Wildschwein jaeger" out of me.)

your "www friend", texasnative46

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Trivia fact

Look what I found when reading trivia facts this morning. I thought about you. Interesting, huh?

The fungus called truffles can cost $800 to $1,500 per pound. They are sniffed out by female pigs, which detect a compound that is in the saliva of male pigs as well. The same chemical is found in the sweat of human males.

Hey Texas Native, the hogs in Texas were brought over from Europe and you're exactly right about temperment. Russian or European boar have a nasty attitude, especially compared to domestic hogs. All the hog problems I've had came from hogs living in West Texas, not South Texas. (So far).

Now after reading this info above, why is it that I'm the one that's chased and my hunting partner has only been chased once by a wounded sow? Guess someone needs to investigate that!

·
329 Posts
GG,

YEP, i know about "truffle pigs". i was stationed in BRD for 30 months & actually saw one being "worked".

perhaps, you have been letting your hubby wear your hunting clothes and/or letting male hogs slobber on you??? (otoh, looking at that foot means at least ONE boar thought you'd be "TASTY"!!! =====> chuckle.)

your www.friend, texasnative46

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
texasnative46 said:
GG,

YEP, i know about "truffle pigs". i was stationed in BRD for 30 months & actually saw one being "worked".

perhaps, you have been letting your hubby wear your hunting clothes and/or letting male hogs slobber on you??? (otoh, looking at that foot means at least ONE boar thought you'd be "TASTY"!!! =====> chuckle.)

Okay. I'll admit he steals my clothes! Steals them! Mine seem to be more comfortable. Something else I'll admit is sometimes when I'm going hog hunting, I go rub on my female wild hog and get her scent on my clothing but not anytime I've had trouble with hogs. She HATES my snake boots. I don't know why. Being I hunt on the ground, it works when the wind isn't exactly right. Hogs will come in from several different directions. (I do hog removal for big exotic ranches during off season for white tail deer.)
DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!!!!

·
329 Posts
GG,

you gotta be NUTS to do that!!! (i've rubbed "doe in heat" on my boots on occasion & once nearly got "in a fist-fight with" a buck deer - sucker wanted my BOOTS!!!)

you have a tame wild hog??? isn't that an oxymoron???

be careful out ther, GG.

your friend, texasnative46

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Yep, I have raised a few. Great learning tools. Here's me & Piggy with some of our disabled hunters arriving the day before the hunt party began. Virgil, the man in the chair has hunted with us in the past and came back with his B-I-L from Alaska to hunt again. We have a program for disabled hunters and he chooses who comes for the hunt in conjunction with Safari Club Internationals Desert chapter out of Las Vegas. I look like a redneck. Oh yea, she's 6 years old. Best watch dog I've ever had too!

Attachments

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
This one is Bubba. He used to hunt with us because I couldn't find a pig sitter. I was hoping to turn him into a tracking boar. Pictured, they are dove hunting. He was bad about stealing live loads though. I got him at @ 3 days old. Someone nieve enough caught him and gave him to me as a birthday gift. Just call him Tamales now. Do not try to keep a wild boar as a pet. They are cute when they are young, but they are wild, and they grow up. Eventually, you have to kill them when they get to breeding age. Males that is.

Attachments

·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GG,

thank you for sharing your experiences and opinions with other guys on the board.
I have just one more question regarding wild boars.
Will they run away after you lit a torch on them during the night?

In my case, they didnt run away and stayed on the same spot for a while. I can not figure out why.

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Not necessarily. You can use a light while hunting them in the dark, and most of the time, it doesn't spook them, especially if they are in a group. Safety in numbers. They still know they are in the darkness where they have always been "safe".
Personally, I hunt big boar hogs "after" dark with my crossbow. That is when they come out to search for food. It takes some training to do this, and I can teach you if you want. Can't do it with peep sights though, only a scope with one red dot or a lined scope. Sitting quietly alone in the dark can be an adventure of it's own, I promise. I do have stories to tell!

·
329 Posts
GG,

per our conversation : the recurve XB i have for sale/barter is a PANZER III by Barnett. (one of the NICE folks here on XB Nation looked the model up for me = THANKS to the NICE fellow.)

·
342 Posts
Guide Girl said:
Hogs are very smart animals, (smarter than a dog) and they are also curious. Very nocturnal animals. With the cover of darkness, they feel incognito. Yes, they may have been seeing what the new things in the woods were, or yes, they could have smelled your food. Hogs have a great sense of smell.

Hogs have been my specialty for many years. I have also raised several wild boar that were captured and given to me as presents? I only have one 6 year old gilt left. They will always be wild no matter how much you feed and nurture and love them. Promise! That's another story.

I have been cut and taken down by a boar, so be very careful. They will lay in wait behind a tree and when you pass, take you down by hitting your legs as low as they can to take you off center from behind, then, have their way with you. I have a big scar on my inside left ankle to prove it. I've also be run up a tree and that's what started my hunt for all hogs. I had 4 hours in the dark to think about it.

I don't want to scare you, but I want you to understand to be cautious with them, especially a mama with piglets, an old boar, or a wounded hog. They will turn and come back for you, and they run fast at short distances.

If you would like information on anything pertaining to the hogs, I'll be more than happy to share anything I know. I hunt them year around and it's my favorite thing to kill. Yes I said kill, not harvest.
MAN....that is one nasty scar...
I had one here in Ca. chase me into the back of my truck about 3 years ago, and I got a little scraped up and thought I was in bad shape...I do feel for you.

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Two nights ago, I saw a thing on wild hogs in Texas on the History channel. Two older men were tracking a big boar he had shot and the blood trail started tricking to almost nothing. He was bent over to see the ground better and he heard something coming from the thick cover in front of him, looked up and saw it was the hog they were tracking. He turned to run and the boar did just what the one that got me did. He got his head between the guys legs and swatted back and fourth a few times on the run, and took the man down and he almost bled to death. The doc said it looked like his Femural artery just rolled and that if it had punctured it (between the thighs) he would have bled out before his friend got him loaded on an ATV and to get back to the truck for the hospital trip. He had some nasty puncture wounds for sure. I DVR'd the program.
Well, the adventure and adrenaline rush is why I love chasing hogs. So, I either be careful and skillful, or get toasted. I do carry a .44 in a western style holster when I'm hunting hogs. My hair sure stands up on my neck too when I'm tracking alone in the dark or walking back to the truck. Maybe I'll post some stories I've written and have been published about doing this stuff if anyone is interested.

·
53 Posts
I've been around a few domestic pigs in my day and have hunted some russian boars ( on a game farm ) . They can all be very nasty ( there were a few fella's treed by those cute little black pigs :mad: ). Have been bit by a few while working in the barn .

The worst little boar was a pot bellied pig that got too big and not so cute for a person that had it as a pet in the house . Harley had quite a set of tusks on him and made the mistake of grabbing my father in laws leg . Dad was out feeding him in his pen and with out warning come from behind and BAM . Needless to say my Father in law and I did the necessary dental work and Harley was much easier to handle .

If I could ever find the time I would love to go hunt javelina and some feral hogs down in Texas . I am sure it would get my blood flowing again .

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
FARMER,

"Needless to say my Father in law and I did the necessary dental work and Harley was much easier to handle ".
And I thought you were gonna say ya'll did the necessary thing and shot him. Now that was a lucky pig! I had a little cute boar (russian) that did that once, and his tusk were already cut, and I shot him dead right then. I'd a just died if he would have done that to one of the grandkids or my elderly father. So as cute as he was, he had to go due to lack of manners and unethical treatment of human beings.
I've raised several, and I have to say domestic pigs are so sweet tempered compared to the russian or european blood pigs. I also had a 425lb boar that found me while hunting hogs that was cross between Polan-China and Yorkshire I brought home alive! He was so mellow and lucky I didn't shoot him when he walked up to me at 12:30AM in the dark. We named him SPOT. Gave him away a year later after he knocked my grandson down by just being too big. I feared he'd step on a kid with his huge hooves. He ate like a hog too!
Domestics are not choosy about food like the wild hogs are. Anyone ever hear of a HOG PIT?

·
342 Posts
Hey GG,
I had one chase me into the back of my pickup truck here in California, I didn't bother to climb in either I doove in head first...this guy wanted a piece of me...and all he got was my 9mm. I was just skinned up and bruised a little...and maybe a hurt ego...I am very careful now days....that 9mm has been upgraded to a .44mag.

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
targethogs said:
Hey GG,
I had one chase me into the back of my pickup truck here in California, I didn't bother to climb in either I doove in head first...this guy wanted a piece of me...and all he got was my 9mm. I was just skinned up and bruised a little...and maybe a hurt ego...I am very careful now days....that 9mm has been upgraded to a .44mag.
AMEN!!!! I upgraded a few years ago from a .357 to my .44. I like to have the ability to stop them right now, not in a few seconds. Now, bass akwards, my hunting parter traded his .44 for a 9mm. After seeing how he uses his sidearm, I bought him the 9mm because it comes with two clips that hold 15 rounds each. Yep, more his style as he shoots alot when he gets excited about something. Ha ha!

·
329 Posts
GG,

my "back up" is a OLD/tired-looking, Model 65 S&W, .357 MAG, in a Bianchi x-draw. further, i load it with +P+ HPs.

it's NEVER out of my reach "in the woods". (fwiw, i started carrying it 24/7 in VZ, when i woke one morning to discover "a spotted pussycat" had "visited my quarters" in the dark of night. jaguars regard people as "easily caught protein" & nothing more than than that!)

personally, i think people who hunt hogs with only a bow/XB alone are, in a word: NUTS.

yours, texasn native46

1 - 20 of 25 Posts