Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty good video on how to eat hog meat, I would presume same for bear.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Upon bringing in a 270lb sow I shot to an old time butcher we used to use, he told me to first deep freeze the meat for at least 30 days, then make sure to cook it up to proper temp. He claimed that would be 99.9% effective in killing any trichinosis and most any other parasites. Side note: Black bears actually have a higher percentage of having trichinosis than do hogs. So make sure to do the same with bear meat.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I usually don't keep them to eat until its been cold for a while, not fun cleaning them when its a 100 degrees outside. But have never had an issue with any of them that we have eaten, good stuff when you get some smaller one that fit in the smoker whole.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've processed 3 small feral sows about 40-50 # net. Ground 1 into sausage, smoked half and left half for patties. Smoked the other 2 whole for pulled pork. All were great, very mild taste. Leave the boars for the buzzards.

·
8,868 Posts
One of … the best purchases I've made in years. I'm paranoid about not getting sick from undercooked food. Since I was a kid, couldn't care less if everyone looks at me like I'm a knucklehead when I order my steak "well done." ThermoPro TP-18 Digital Instant Read Meat Thermocouple Thermometer | ThermoPro Official The peace of mind is incredible. Takes temperatures instantly. I can even test the individual pieces of meat, chicken, shrimp or fish on a shish kabob. The other night ONE piece of chicken in my Sheila's kabob wasn't cooked properly. One is all it takes to get food poisoning and toss your guts out. I can now rapidly take temperatures in different areas of the meats too. Amazing how much better our barbeques are coming out. The food is never over or undercooked. Love the thermometer. Sheila makes jokes about it.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have had big boars, as long as you take the glands off of them they are fine. All my wild pork goes into sausage anyways

·
Registered
533 Posts
Anything much over 100 lbs. is left for the buzzards, coyotes & worms. Wild hogs are much better table fare than venison.

Reactions: Iron Duke

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Everyone (anymore) is trying to reinvent the wheel. We all know the answer.
I didnt watch. Why would I?
Men have been eating wild pork successfully for millennium on end.
Stupid subject.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I get most of mine made into sausage! Good stuff!

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
13,224 Posts
If these show up during the cold months then I'll shoot and try cleaning one. Didn't want any part of messing with them in mid July though.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
836 Posts
I’ve taken 3 different hogs, all in the cooler months in TX, and all were between 150-200 lbs. I had them professionally processed into mostly sausage, but did hold back couple of shoulders for pulled pork on the smoker, and tried the ribs on the first one.
Ribs were horrible. Tossed them into the garbage after the first bite. I smoked Two of the three shoulders were for pulled pork and tasted awesome though, and just like store bought. Had A buddy smoke the third one and it was rancid. No explanation there. All of the sausage was great.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I'm with Iron Duke on the well done meat. For some strange reason, people hate it when you order well done meat. They always have a negative comment. Go figure? I have utilized one of those portable poker thermometers for a few years now. Great item for sure! The sow I shot was on a private game preserve in upstate NY. It obviously wasn't "wild" swine, and was some type of European hog. Probably the best pork I ever had. They were thick, juicy, super white cuts of meat. Not tough in the least either.

·
Registered
13,224 Posts
I always smoke my pork butts to around 190*. Easier for me to tear apart for BBQ.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I live in deep south Texas and several yrs ago I had an opportunity to hunt on a fellas farm and shot a 100-150 lb boar. when the owner came to get me he asked what I shot. I said a med sized boar. He said that's ok Alfredo can take care of him in a heart beat.
Alfredo first castrated the pig even befoer he gutted it. Then he looked at me and said now don't clean or gut the pig with same knife used to casterate. Anyway to make a long story short after Alfredo got thru and cooked the pig it was outstanding table fair.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Everyone (anymore) is trying to reinvent the wheel. We all know the answer.
I didnt watch. Why would I?
Men have been eating wild pork successfully for millennium on end.
Stupid subject.
Gee, sorry I intruded on your day.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Don't mis understand my post all boars can't done that way just the ones to approx 150 would be max. He said he does even the smaller boars that way and makes a big difference in taste. At the time I thought he was pulling my leg but have talked to several people that hunt them and they say the same thing.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts