Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also plan on making some dampeners to either screw in the other hole or I might make some other rollers that I screw the dampeners into also will be coming up with a level that will mount to bracket

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a work in progress does anyone know a good place to start as how many strands I should use on cables

·
Registered
931 Posts
It's a work in progress does anyone know a good place to start as how many strands I should use on cables
What material? For example, 20 strands of different material types will yield different finished diameters.

The OEM cable was 16 strands. Not sure if their OEM cables are still that, and not sure what materials were being used. However, since there were 16 strands per cable, IMO that would be like a 32 strand cable per cam. That said, having a 32 strand cable wrapping around the heli-coils is going to seem big to me.

I think I'd start with about 24 strands of X99, and see if I could make the finished diameter work. You still have to thread it between the cam and the pulley. You may want to drop Eric with GAS strings an email and see if he would be willing to give you a little guidance.

Good luck.

·
Registered
10,835 Posts
I was told that the 2 cable method has a bare spot left in the serving so it will slide between the pulley and the heli-coil unless you leave the end loop bare. That will also give you a little bare string space to twist them if needed.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Yes, I saw where Yelpy was talking about that too. I just wonder how big of a cable can be made and still function properly on the helicoil, or fit in the cam grooves? I know its been figured out by GAS and Dorge already, I just don't t know what material they're using or the number of strands.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do want to serve the loops also but like I said its a work in progress Ive got to make a string jig still I use to reserve my bow strings and the cables on my 3d bow back in the day and came up with my own method on how to lock the serving in place going around the cams and will be using that method on these cables and strings it helps with stopping separation with the serving, when I get started I do like to make my serving as tight as posable and have popped serving string while serving my strings before. Ive seen somewhere on here that a guy had gotten his cables and strings for his ravin and it looked like the whole cable was served made by gas that would seem to make the cables stronger in my opinion so any advice suggestions will greatly appreciated

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was told that the 2 cable method has a bare spot left in the serving so it will slide between the pulley and the heli-coil unless you leave the end loop bare. That will also give you a little bare string space to twist them if needed.
After reading back over what you said that makes since about leaving the loop alone on the hilacol I looked at it last night and think that's the way I will go but the other end will get served and will probably serve around the roller and come down the cable a good bit leave a space on both sides of my pulley so I will have a little more adjustment, need be I can make my bracket hole a little longer or shorter to help out with the timing

·
Registered
931 Posts
After reading back over what you said that makes since about leaving the loop alone on the hilacol I looked at it last night and think that's the way I will go but the other end will get served and will probably serve around the roller and come down the cable a good bit leave a space on both sides of my pulley so I will have a little more adjustment, need be I can make my bracket hole a little longer or shorter to help out with the timing
Perhaps you may have misunderstood what Robert/Yelpy were saying about the gap on a 2 cable system.

The space that you were going to leave unserved ("for adjustments") is the area of the cable that gets threaded into the gap between the pulley and the cam. Once done, the cable is slid in the gap, down to the end-loop which is then placed onto the cam post.

Both of the end-loops of the 2 cable system are completely served.

Hope this makes sense. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts