Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum but not to crossbows. Wondering what was your worst out of the box crossbow experience? What manufacturer was it? What was done to remedy the situation? What did you learn from this experience? What would you suggest to a forum member who has had a "New Crossbow Nightmare".
Thanks
Oncebitten

·
Registered
9,120 Posts
Mine was my first crossbow purchase. I bought a Parker Buck Buster 175 crossbow and it ate servings for breakfast and then busted limbs for lunch. I was told by Parker that the servings fraying was "normal" and would go away as the bow was shot more. I had two sets of limbs bust before I got 70 shots on the bow so when Parker sent me my third front end I mounted it on the bow and sold it. I then bought an Excalibur which I still own.

·
10,847 Posts
Parker Buck Buster was one of the approximately 20 crossbows I’ve had hanging in my shop since 2003. I kept it about 12 months and hunted with it some during that time. No limb problems during that time.

I did some reviews for Crossbow Magazine during that time. To me, the obvious worst build quality I saw right out of the box was a Barnett reverse draw model.

I don’t believe there is a wide range of quality variations today. More importantly, IMO, is finding what fits your needs and likes the best and go with it (y)

·
Registered
9,120 Posts
Parker Buck Buster was one of the approximately 20 crossbows I’ve had hanging in my shop since 2003. I kept it about 12 months and hunted with it some during that time. No limb problems during that time.

I did some reviews for Crossbow Magazine during that time. To me, the obvious worst build quality I saw right out of the box was a Barnett reverse draw model.

I don’t believe there is a wide range of quality variations today. More importantly, IMO, is finding what fits your needs and likes the best and go with it (y)
The 165 model or the 175? If the 175 I do believe you will be the first person I have seen that did not have limb problems.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My first crossbow purchase was approx 9 years ago... At the time I was torn between the Excalibur Exomax and the Horton Fury... The Fury won out. I loved the crazy fast speed for the time with less draw weight and lower profile of the reverse limb design.... BUT, the Fury proved to be very high maintenance!... server String broke at around 100 shots... The cocking devise was not very robust... tried to address the warranty after only having The crossbow approx 1 year, only to find out Horton had gone out of business at the time... FINALLY, after the 3rd time of having the crossbow in the local archery shop... and still having issues... I retired it and became a die hard Excalibur fan.

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
My first major crossbow was an SAS Authority that had molded cams and around the 30th shot they exploded in my face ! The string flew back and hit me in the mouth ! It was a metalic shower of tiny flakes of aluminum swirling around my face as it all criss crossed right before my eyes and flew past my head ! I was like, piece of junk ! And returned it to Amazon !

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Never had one because I dont buy blind. Always in hand and inspected before purchase.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Decided to buy my daughter a PSE fang
Well I shoulda know buying junk would end up junk

shot it a few times before the serving started separating
Then I had to put a different scope on it, because I couldn’t get enough adjustment one way.

so finally I had FPs flying decent to 30y

try a fixed blade head and I was 8” left and a foot low...wtf
Looked over a bunch of stuff
Finally found the one side had limb shims missing and the limbs were starting to crack at the pivot point.
Brought it back and it sat at my dealer forever till he said he finally gave up trying to get it warrantied... he couldn’t even get parts

I ended up tossing it in the trash

I bought a PSE vertical bow last year and I got it out of the US to avoid issues if it needed warranty

·
Registered
44 Posts
My first crossbow purchase was approx 9 years ago... At the time I was torn between the Excalibur Exomax and the Horton Fury... The Fury won out. I loved the crazy fast speed for the time with less draw weight and lower profile of the reverse limb design.... BUT, the Fury proved to be very high maintenance!... server String broke at around 100 shots... The cocking devise was not very robust... tried to address the warranty after only having The crossbow approx 1 year, only to find out Horton had gone out of business at the time... FINALLY, after the 3rd time of having the crossbow in the local archery shop... and still having issues... I retired it and became a die hard Excalibur fan.
Same here. A Horton Fury was my first crossbow and it spent more time in their warrantee dept than it did in my hands. The third time I sent it back they went out of business and it took months for the receivership to issue me a credit. I used that cash toward an Exclaibur Matrix 380 and I never looked back.

It took me a while to warm up to compound crossbows and RDT platforms but I learned you’re better off to pay up for a high end bow and cry once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
advanced member
1,658 Posts
Made the big mistake of buying a Native Crossbow. Big time trigger problems. Got it fixed and sold it. The guy that bought it did not like it so postage paid to have it sent back. Took a shot with it and one of the string threads broke. Looked at the arrows which I just bought and they had some super glue on the ends which tore the string. Had Native send me a new string and that bow screwed up my press. Two months ago I threw it in the dumpster because it was a BAD bow and, just BAD luck all around. I was far ahead to take the loss before it screwed up a deer. VERY bad MOJO./

·
8,129 Posts
What would you suggest to a forum member who has had a "New Crossbow Nightmare?" :unsure:
Thanks
Oncebitten

Buy your next crossbow from Wyvern Creations, then you sleep well at night and don't worry about nightmares.😂

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
What would you suggest to a forum member who has had a "New Crossbow Nightmare?" :unsure:
Thanks
Oncebitten

Buy your next crossbow from Wyvern Creations, then you sleep well at night and don't worry about nightmares.😂
That's exactly what I did after my episode. I joined CN, asked what is a good bow to get then called Dave up and payed him for a Scorpyd DeathStalker!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My first crossbow was Barnett. It was a cheap plastic nightmare. I used it for longer than I should have and only grew more disgusted with it as time passed and money was spent. When it was time to replace it i chose a new Excalibur. After shooting my new Excalibur I realized that was what I should have bought in the beginning.
I liked the first one so much I bought another one just like it. They both came from Wyvern Creations. Great guy to deal with and if you should have a problem Dave will make it right.

·
Registered
574 Posts
My worst crossbow experience was with the Stryker 390. I had to get a crossbow when i had surgery for a torn shoulder so i went to Cabelas and picked that one. It looked awesome, felt awesome and shot awesome. Well, the first bow had the limbs splinter with less than 20 shots on it. The second bow splintered the day before season with right around 25 shots on it. I missed the first week of archery season and that was the last time i picked up a Stryker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Bought a CenterPoint Amped 415. Nice accurate bow. 40 shots in cable came off as I was cocking it .. not a good feeling.. then it ejected the string when I fired to unload it.. Sent it back and was done with cables and pulleys. Bought a Excalibur axe 340 prob have 400+ shots on it zero issues.. I was so happy with it a bought another. Doubt ill ever go back. Hard to beat lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
62 Posts
IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I discussed my first experience in the Center Point section. Seemed like I got stalked over it a little. It seemed to really get under a members skin that someone rained on the company. It wasn't the intention.
Things break or go wrong. That is a fact of life. How that is handled separates the great from the not so great.
Mine came with the wrong assymbly parts and acessory packages. I called, three times, and got nowhere. I was promised replacements, but haven't seen them yet. That was January. The store it was purchased from accepted the return and asked if I contacted the company. He didn't seem all that surprised about the episode.

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Some guys fall for a brand and it hurts their ego if you have that brand and you get a crappy bow. They tend to repeat over and over "mine shoots silver dollars at 50 yds" then glue little pieces of plastic to shim their shoddy Asian plastic risers. I went on a quest to find something that didn't feel like a camo-dipped Nerf gun. It didn't cost that much more for quality. Then I got a backup bow identical to the first. Some spare limbs just in case. And now I think about becoming a better hunter instead of becoming a part time bow shop technician. It's about eliminating as many variables as possible.
Good luck out there
Oncebitten

·
Registered
12,809 Posts
Guess I lucked out. 1st was an Excal 'ole school Vortex. Scope broke and had a new one inside a week. 2nd is a CenterPoint Sniper 370. No problems with either bow.

Reactions: robertyb
1 - 20 of 37 Posts