Crossbow Nation banner
81 - 100 of 121 Posts

·
3,215 Posts
Dang Boo, that's some bad lookin road rash there.
It looks worse than it actually is. You are seeing cured Vibra-Tite 310 cyranoacryic glue on the surface. If one of my Excaliburs splintered, I'd do the same thing. Historically with Excaliburs, splinter defects are limited in what you see lifted. The rest of the limb is ok and if you don't glue down the splinter, it will continue to enlarge.
Again, I don't suggest that anyone do as I did. But I'm kinda lazy and the X1 is set up perfectly. So aside from me wanting to prove something to myself, I don't want to mess around with a bow until after hunting season if I can't help it. If I see a Coyote at 80 yards, I'm taking the shot because its a Swat and its set up perfectly. It would be a pipe dream to think I could do that with my 400 Suppressor!

·
Registered
489 Posts
little sensitive huh? I can see your not in there pocket at this point just a extreme fan I guess. I had major issues am I not supposed to say that? Just quietly pretend they are great bows with no issues Cause you say so?
I went through this with my Siege and quickly learned that no one wanted to hear my complaints since I moved on. At some point, you have to let it go.

·
12,851 Posts
Well a lotta ... really good companies have had previously undiscovered issues pop up after a NEW bow was introduced. Scorpyd and a trigger issue on the "new" Velocity among them. Bowtech, Excalibur, Ravin, Ten Point among popular and beloved (or dispised depending on your experience...lol) outfits that I recall having introduction "surprises."

Now there's a personal connection with OLDFLYER, SEW, Boo & Moon around here so this NEW INTRODUCTION crossbow, the SWAT X1 was eagerly and closely watched as we were privileged to be in the middle of a great deal of R&D being done and reported by them. R&D and changes being incorporated into the production bow. A process we never saw before. Bowtech, Scorpyd, Ten Point, Ravin never let you see how they tested and honed the characteristics of their bows. Killer Instinct did. Now that brings me to what is almost a proverb, it's if nothing else conventional wisdom. "Never buy the first year of a new model introduction." Let somebody else be the field testers, guinea pigs, and first real world users. Now I get it, all the hype that went along with the outstanding performance of the crossbows that we were witnessing being tested was invigorating, to some even spellbinding. I can understand rushing out to get an X1 and suppressing the conventional first in line buyer wisdom. What I'm saying is "if you're going to be first in line on a new crossbow, a new anything, don't be "surprised" if you have issues." Of course you can be indignant and pissed, but in reality you should have known what you were potentially getting into. Having issues spring up that had to be corrected by the manufacturer. It's part of the new introduction game. What you sign up for when you run out to be first buyers. Ask the Ravin R500 guys with servings breaking after a couple dozen shots. While KI was letting you ride along during the X1 development, you didn't even know if the R500 actually existed with Ravin's "transparency!"...lol :p😂

Now that we established that you should have known there "might" be issues, actually often IS issues, the real question is "how, how quickly, and what is the warrantee fix for your bow?" All new introductions can have issues, the question is how the manufacturer corrects your issue with the least amount of agita and inconvenience. From what I've read KI is a pretty stand-up outfit. I know our guys who helped wring-out the X1 are. :) "It's not so much that a manufacturer has an issue, it's more about how they handle that issue." ;)

·
Registered
Excalibur Assassin 420 TD
70 Posts
Yeah, a car manufacturer puts crap tires on their cars that all go flat and the ENTIRE car is bad. Sorry, but that's sad to hear people when they say something similar about ANY company's bows.
Bad analogy. You can always buy better tires! Where are you going to buy better limbs? These limb problems are a reflection of a company's desire to push out faster bows with no regard to fixing the issue. So people need to ship their bows back or have limbs shipped to them that may take 3 weeks or more? On my 4th set of limbs on my Excalibur. Sure warranty is great but missed the rut and still do not have my replacement limbs. Boo has heard my concerns :eek:

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
What arrow-point combination are you shooting now?
The crossbow is advertised as 195 pound draw weight and supplied arrows
as 390 grain which included the field point as per KI website.

My suggestions. depending on what arrow-point combination is being used:
1)go to an average of 430, 450 or 460 arrow-point combination weight. For every
ten grains over the manufactures advertised speed one will lose approximately
three feet per second.
2)back the cams off a bit by either removing equal 1/2 or full twists from the
cables but not all as twists give the cables strength.
Or
3)remove some twists from the bow string but not both (2 and 3).

Note: axle to axle measurement is just a guide line which can change when tuning or
replacing the bowstring and or cables which may be a different length or due to stretch.
A bit on the short side is better than too long.

Another option if it was my crossbow, from new, I would do all the above
plus reinforcing the limbs.

I have been doing several tests with various brands of crossbows manufactured
in Taiwan due to the limbs being subject to splintering. Doing all I have mentioned
the last one seems to be standing up good. Shooting in the area of 100 to 130
shots day after day testing the limbs, bowstring double serving in the arrow-latch
area, and the shimming I do where the riser meets the rail-stock to illiminate the
downward bowstring pressure. The cables have been served in the cable slide area,
so no more cable slides to chew up the cables.

Wishing you all the best.
Take care.
How do you reinforce limbs?

Thankx

·
6,036 Posts
Bad analogy. You can always buy better tires! Where are you going to buy better limbs? These limb problems are a reflection of a company's desire to push out faster bows with no regard to fixing the issue. So people need to ship their bows back or have limbs shipped to them that may take 3 weeks or more? On my 4th set of limbs on my Excalibur. Sure warranty is great but missed the rut and still do not have my replacement limbs. Boo has heard my concerns :eek:
These are harsh charges against KI. Knowing to some degree of what’s going on behind the scenes at KI, I can state categorically that this is not the case!

Some thoughts. The SWAT series has a comparatively low limb breakage rate. (Exception: the first run of XPs which were quite a bit faster than advertised.) KI has gone to great lengths to get both the XP and X1 tested in the field. As a result, the XP has become not only quite reliable but an excellent crossbow. It’s reliability far exceeded the reliability of virtually every Matrix and Micro series Xbows. Their problems went on for years! Been there, experienced that!

I have well over 2,000 shots out of each of my X1 and XP, no problems! None of my 4 Matrix xbows came close! Nor my Parkers. Couldn’t keep the Nitro 470 ,loaned for testing, in time, even for 50 shots. Nor could another tester who has contributed to this thread. He wouldn’t even report on the 10-PT.

I’m surprised that you missed the rut because of a 3rd set of Excalibur limb failure. After 2 previous failures, it seems that the rest of us (previous) Excalibur owners, we just realized that having a spare set of limbs (actually not spare; rather, replacement) is just part of Matrix/Micro/Bulldog (before riser redesign) ownership. Seems like you would have had a replacement set. I owned 4 Excals during 6 years of exclusive Excalibur usage. I changed limbs more often than (Boo) strings.

3 weeks or more?

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
How do you reinforce limbs?

Thankx
I have tried a couple of ways. A crossbow press will be required as the string and cables
have to be removed. Next remove the limb assembly from the riser. I am referring to the
Rocky Mountain 405 and 415 series as I have had several limb splinters with these cross
bows. I have tried two tests as follows with brand new, unshot crossbows.

Test #1)Starting at the cam end of the limbs, I wrapped the limb with high quality electrical tape
as tight as possible going to the limb pocket. One does not need to remove the cam axle
to do this procedure. This helped some by preventing the slivers from getting worse. Over
lap the tape 1/2 the width of itself and as tight as possible as electrical tape stretches when
wrapping.

Test #2)Do the the same with the tape. Take 120 or 250 tensile zip ties and put one on the
out side of the limb an one on the inside, starting near the axle end of the limb and going
to the edge of the limb pocket. Cut off any excess. Wrap these as tight as possible with electrical
tape.
Note: most electrical tape will have the temperature range on the label from well below zero Fahrenheit
to very high on the plus side.

The zip ties were found on Amazon and are approximately 3/8" wide. Store bought are around
50 pound tensile strength and may have that marked on the package. Also they are narrower.
I have slightly over 1000 shots on the limbs of this crossbow I did the last modification on and am
a)maintaining the same speed with no loss. b)in the cocked position, I measure axle to the nearest
rail-stock edge and both have not changed which shows I do not have a different limb deflection
or a limb is not getting weaker.

I have always shot heavier arrows and at times have backed the cams off a bit when I realized
these crossbows have poor quality limbs. Some of these crossbows are no longer manufactured
and contacting the importer, the replacement price, shipping and currency exchange to bring
from the U.S. into Canada, it was cheaper to purchase the same crossbow in Canada on sale
and have all the extra parts. The importer explained, once they run out of parts for these crossbows
that are no longer manufactured, that is it. Lots of these crossbows being sold brand new at some
dealers, Ebay, and Amazon. Being these crossbows are so cheap to purchase in the U.S., the
dealers are not stocking parts. For every dollar spent, 6 to 7 dollars are going back overseas due
to currency exchange.
If the limb manufacture improved, these are very high quality crossbows and when properly tuned
are very accurate.

If you decide to do this modification, I hope this works for you as I am satisfied the way (2) is working
for me.
Wishing you all the best.
Take care.

·
Registered
70 Posts
These are harsh charges against KI. Knowing to some degree of what’s going on behind the scenes at KI, I can state categorically that this is not the case!

Some thoughts. The SWAT series has a comparatively low limb breakage rate. (Exception: the first run of XPs which were quite a bit faster than advertised.) KI has gone to great lengths to get both the XP and X1 tested in the field. As a result, the XP has become not only quite reliable but an excellent crossbow. It’s reliability far exceeded the reliability of virtually every Matrix and Micro series Xbows. Their problems went on for years! Been there, experienced that!

I have well over 2,000 shots out of each of my X1 and XP, no problems! None of my 4 Matrix xbows came close! Nor my Parkers. Couldn’t keep the Nitro 470 ,loaned for testing, in time, even for 50 shots. Nor could another tester who has contributed to this thread. He wouldn’t even report on the 10-PT.

I’m surprised that you missed the rut because of a 3rd set of Excalibur limb failure. After 2 previous failures, it seems that the rest of us (previous) Excalibur owners, we just realized that having a spare set of limbs (actually not spare; rather, replacement) is just part of Matrix/Micro/Bulldog (before riser redesign) ownership. Seems like you would have had a replacement set. I owned 4 Excals during 6 years of exclusive Excalibur usage. I changed limbs more often than (Boo) strings.

3 weeks or more?
Lol you should know my problems with excalibur. Talk about harsh! No excuse for 4th set of limbs!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
SE VA
13,109 Posts
Owned 6 different Excals during the last 15 years. Shot them all a lot. Only one limb snapped on a Micro after about 12 years of shooting. Lifetime warranty👍🏻
So far, my little production X1 is great with astonishing accuracy consistency.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Owned 6 different Excals during the last 15 years. Shot them all a lot. Only one limb snapped on a Micro after about 12 years of shooting. Lifetime warranty
Lifetime warranty means shit when you have to wait during the hunting seasons for replacement limbs. I also am a long time Excalibur owner. Never had an issue until the assassin 420 TD never again will I buy Excalibur until I know for sure their limb problems have been fixed. Personally I think bowtechs buyout is the issue.

·
3,215 Posts
While Boo has heard your concerns, Boo also knows that people are not infallible. Boo has back up limbs for all his bows. Boo is as self reliant as he can be and he tries his best not to be hoisted on his own petard.

·
6,036 Posts
Lifetime warranty means shit when you have to wait during the hunting seasons for replacement limbs. I also am a long time Excalibur owner. Never had an issue until the assassin 420 TD never again will I buy Excalibur until I know for sure their limb problems have been fixed. Personally I think bowtechs buyout is the issue.

Just from what I’ve read from a trusted source, I think the Excal limbs have improved as well as their riser pockets. However, the compoundish speeds from the small limbs has to be stressful on the limbs. A 225# compound is a high draw weight compound. >300# is really getting up there! Shorter, stiffer/higher poundage, faster will ensure that having a spare set of limbs is a good move.
My only remaining Excal (BD 400 with new riser and a spare set of limbs - not the new, improved version) will stay in my inventory. I love it!

·
SE VA
13,109 Posts
If I ever wanted or needed 400 fps I certainly would not look at a recurve crossbow. Hell, seems as if the compounds are struggling with that too🙄
BTW, after around 18 years of crossbow hunting and shooting, IMO, no matter what brand or type of crossbow you chose, having a backup is probably a good idea.👍🏻

·
3,215 Posts
IMO KI fanboys need to take the rose colored glasses off.
There are tons of fan boys for every make and model of crossbow. Some fanboys are so into their bows that they won't mention publicly that their bow failed and I can't blame them. Putting out hard earned money and all, it's an embarrassment. I think there are more rose coloured glasses than what we see, they are just not visible most of the time. Personally I think the less you pay, the more you squawk publicly, it's human nature.

81 - 100 of 121 Posts