Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. GET RID OF FLAPPY VANES. Soft and bendy for arrow rest fletching serves its purpose for vertical archery - NOT crossbows. No one's getting full accuracy of their bolt with vane flapping rotation. There's ZERO reason for soft vanes on crossbows. Once you have rigid vanes your bolts are far more repeatable all qualities being equal particularly over 50 yards.

No one should have to fire only 1 bolt in search of sub-1. That's utterly ridiculous. Needed but ridiculous.

2. PARALLAX ADJUSTABILITY

If you cant adjust the parallax on your scope to the exact yardage, you re shooting loosely. No matter what, you'll never repeat POI exactly with a scope not specifically dialed into the exact metric range. It's a fact of life. You can improve your shots with concious effort to center your eye in the same spot but there's always a null zone where you cant do it every time.

Address these two things and you literally are shaving fat off your group sizes.

Some counter thoughts which no doubt would arise to I my opinions...

1. Well,soft fletching betterhandlesa pass through on a deer.

Me: Sure but if you are taking down a deer, the damage yo your broadhead is far more pricey than any lost fletching.

2. I normally shoot deer under 40 yards the parallax can be off some andI still hit the vitals.
Frankly all this 100 yard sub-1 is against hunting ethics so your points are moot.

Me: Not at all and Ihave no intention of shooting at deer at these extended ranges. This is all in the interest in maximizing the potential accuracy good crossbows have. Thefletching and the parallax sloppiness are the two most egregious issues . Frankly I cant be onboard with any of these "more or less" arguments.

Kind of funny these things exist at all in the face of xbowcompanies bending over backward to brag about most accurate shooters. NOBODY would take a rifle to the range seeking sub 1 with a parallax set at 30 to 50 yards for a 100 yard target. No one. Its silly.

Dend

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Welcome, Dend.
Interesting discussion, thanks for starting it.

I am a xbow newbie so i will take any pointers I can get to target shoot more accurately out to 100 yards.
Cheers,
dynamo61

·
Registered
511 Posts
I don't disagree at all with what you are posting but, I am more than happy with the precision of my crossbow package that I got from TenPoint. It took me several years to afford such a weapon. If you are seeking SUB 1 accuracy it will come at a cost which many cannot bare. The fletchings mentioned are probably not a cost affecter. The scope, I believe would cost too much for practicality. There are many after market items that can be added to an original package that give the purchaser the flexibility to achieve their desired accuracy and sometimes speed. I don't want to pay for what you want. Some may. Keep prices affordable and let those with big passions and money add what they wish.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can get a parallax adjustable scope for not much more than a standard. The real issue here though is if it really took you years to save up for a Ten Point your a BOY WONDER.

DEND

·
Registered
265 Posts
I practice at 90yds the reason being when that buck steps out at 55yds I want to have the confidence to and know I can make a humane shot, I use to practice at longer shots with my compound bow when I shot 3D just to make those 40yds shot easier. If given the op I will shoot a coyote at 90yds I don't care what any one says I hate em and will kill everyone I see, 1st deer with a crossbow last year at 55yds quartering away aimed at back rib and blew thru the opposite shoulder blade and the arrow went another 40yds past the deer, If you notice the leg he is lying on is going towards his back leg that's because I destroyed that shoulder, that's what a muzzy fixed blade will do for you, it aint broke so no need to fix it 125gr. he ran about 40yds

·
Registered
265 Posts
confidence goes a long way, and practice, 1st year hunting with a crossbow, got tired of compound bow after 35 years of hunting with one

·
Registered
511 Posts
3 posts and you're already off subject and trying to belittle responders. WELCOME! Most people on here stick to the subject which isn't me and my income at this point in life. Good luck & happy hunting.

·
Crossbow Nut
3,099 Posts
You can get a parallax adjustable scope for not much more than a standard. The real issue here though is if it really took you years to save up for a Ten Point your a BOY WONDER.

DEND
The real issue is that belittling someone who took a while to save for an expensive crossbow makes you a braying ass.

Here's your avatar. You're welcome.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts

DEND
This a simple and kind reminder. This website Is "Not Archery Talk" or any of those other sites where we people are free to criticize others and get out of hand. We call that behavior being a "Keyboard Cowboy" and as stated by others, it's a fast path to a short stay.

Please make every effort to assist and help others who are requesting information in an effort to grow within the sport. If you don't have anything constructive to add, then please refrain from allowing your fingers to cause friction. I don't know know you and I'm sure you're a great guy with some knowledge to share.
It would come across better if you could find a nicer way to do it.

Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts