Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
14,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What are you carrying in your backpack? I use mine as a "grab & go" for all my different shooting; crossbow, slug-gun and rifle, day and night. I therefore carry a lot of "stuff" on and in it. This way I don't worry about "forgetting" things. I don't hike miles to get into position, rarely more than a couple hundred yards. Even at that I'll usually just load up my JetSled to haul all my gear.
#1. Paperwork - Licenses, special permits, transport tags, ballistic data cards for crossbow, rifle, .22subsonic, and 12ga slugs, shooters log w/pen.
#2. Knife, drag, hand shears, Surefire Scout weapon light, Wicked Lights red, few Hot Hands to keep warm or use for a thermal marker for the FLIR, 30,500mAh battery w/USB 3' charging cable, 2 camo handkerchiefs.
#3. Film cannister with cotton balls for wind indicator. Fenix HM70R headlamp.
#4. Camo face net, Leica rangefinder. 100% DEET spray bottle in summer.
#5. Carabiniered or MOLLE'd to the outside are 6 women's hair ties, (they don't rot like rubber bands and are dark colored), a hat, 6" carbineer for hanging the backpack from a rail or hook, an AmpCaddy cell phone clamp for shooting rails, two rolled lengths of Velcro strapping, Olight 3T EOS -AAA light, extra carabiniers, Multicolored LED emergency blinking beacon.
#6. Straps underneath for clothing. (Parka, Bibs, Raingear or Hoodie)
MAIN SECTION has:
#7. Small folding saw, Toilet paper in sandwich bag, gutting gloves in web bag, three pairs of shooting gloves. FLIR, 2 metal straws with rubber tips, webbed bag with 5 power bars, surveyor's tape for tracking, black hockey tape, spare 18650, 21700, 2032 and CR123 batteries, matches, compass.

Depending on the shooting I'll only need to add:
#8. 10/22 magazines, two 12 cartridge SERT 12ga shell pouches w/carabiniers, a sleeve of .223Rem, or two 5 arrow Tarantula quivers. A Fenix HT18 weapon light and a red lens cover for rifle/slug-gun, and PVS14 night vision w/3x extender.

·
Registered
Mission MXB-360
75 Posts
I always carry the following in my day pack...

My license and tags.
Zip ties for affixing tags.
My knife.
A small folding saw.
A handkerchief.
A basic first aid kit. (including a couple of Aspirin. For us older folks, this could save your life in the event of a heart attack.)
A spare flashlight (and spare batteries.)
My hoist rope.
A drag rope.
A gallon zip-lock bag for a deer heart and liver.
Depending on weather and the length of my walk in and out, I may carry an extra hat and gloves (I wear light ones for walking and heavier ones (if needed) for sitting.
If I'm out for a day long excursion, I'll pack sandwiches, cookies, apple slices and some Gatorade.
A small roll of toilet paper. (Added)

I also carry in my vest harness pockets:

My cell phone (and a charging block and USB cable if I'm hunting all day.)
My laser range finder.
My cocking rope.
A battery powered head lamp.

·
Registered
Excalibur Micro Suppressor. Excalibur Micro Mag 340
92 Posts
IN THE BAG
License and Tags
Thermacell
Gloves
Flashlight
Drag
First Aid Kit
Leatherman
Benchmade Hunter Knife in sheath clipped on outside of bag
Rangefinder
Yeti Bottle with water
Snack for the day
Couple of carabiners clipped on the outside of bag
50' paracord roll

IN MY POCKETS
Outdoor edge folder on each side
Cell phone
Handkerchief

ON MY CHEST
Kenai Chest Holster with Glock 10MM w/Leupold red dot for personal protection
1 spare mag

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
1. Deer Drag
2. Flash Lights
3. License
4. Folding Handsaw
5. Wind checkers
6. Thermacell
7. Thin Camo Gloves
8. Headnet
9. Toilet Paper
10. Extra Batteries
11. Carabiners
12. Extra Rope
13. Handwipes
14. Headlamp
15. Skinning Knives
16. Reflective Pins
17. Orange Marking Tape

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
What are you carrying in your backpack? I use mine as a "grab & go" for all my different shooting; crossbow, slug-gun and rifle, day and night. I therefore carry a lot of "stuff" on and in it. This way I don't worry about "forgetting" things. I don't hike miles to get into position, rarely more than a couple hundred yards. Even at that I'll usually just load up my JetSled to haul all my gear.
#1. Paperwork - Licenses, special permits, transport tags, ballistic data cards for crossbow, rifle, .22subsonic, and 12ga slugs, shooters log w/pen.
#2. Knife, drag, hand shears, Surefire Scout weapon light, Wicked Lights red, few Hot Hands to keep warm or use for a thermal marker for the FLIR, 30,500mAh battery w/USB 3' charging cable, 2 camo handkerchiefs.
#3. Film cannister with cotton balls for wind indicator. Fenix HM70R headlamp.
#4. Camo face net, Leica rangefinder. 100% DEET spray bottle in summer.
#5. Carabiniered or MOLLE'd to the outside are 6 women's hair ties, (they don't rot like rubber bands and are dark colored), a hat, 6" carbineer for hanging the backpack from a rail or hook, an AmpCaddy cell phone clamp for shooting rails, two rolled lengths of Velcro strapping, Olight 3T EOS -AAA light, extra carabiniers, Multicolored LED emergency blinking beacon.
#6. Straps underneath for clothing. (Parka, Bibs, Raingear or Hoodie)
MAIN SECTION has:
#7. Small folding saw, Toilet paper in sandwich bag, gutting gloves in web bag, three pairs of shooting gloves. FLIR, 2 metal straws with rubber tips, webbed bag with 5 power bars, surveyor's tape for tracking, black hockey tape, spare 18650, 21700, 2032 and CR123 batteries, matches, compass.

Depending on the shooting I'll only need to add:
#8. 10/22 magazines, two 10 shot SERT 12ga shell pouches w/carabiniers, a sleeve of .223Rem, or two 5 arrow Tarantula quivers. A Fenix HT18 weapon light and a red lens cover for rifle/slug-gun, and PVS14 night vision w/3x extender.
Going to gorilla war? ....🤔

·
14,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
4,550 Posts
I got to thinking one day. When i used to hunt with trad bows and even rifle hunt. I carried a Mini Mag light in my back pocket and a Case XX trapper pocket knife and went hunting. Why do i feel like i need a wagon to haul my stuff in now.

So i streamlined and had a big weedout. I no longer carry a backpack at all. I either drive my truck or ride my Buggy or i'm close to the house. I leave things i don't need pre kill in my bow case it has pockets. I don't need a knife,extra or even a good light, don't need a saw, don't need extra scent wafers or cover scent. Don't need rubber gloves, paper towels nothing extra at all.

Most of the time i just wear a turkey vest. I mounted my quiver to it. And i have plenty of pockets for a head net. One can of scent wafers and a bottle of deer dander a rangefinder. A pair of gloves and a small light most of the time it's a dim cap light that clips to the bill of my hat. Because of sugar i need a self rescue kit, candy and pop. I double seal it in zip lock bags and my insulin incase it decides to sky rocket. My rope cocker lives on my bows. I cock it store or lay the rope cocker where its handy.

If i shoot a deer i just walk back to either the truck or buggy check my sugar eat to get it going up so i don't bottom out. Switch out to my after kill stuff. Or drive as close as i can sometimes well most times it's really close to the deer if not to it. Take care of business load the Buck and bail.

The least amount of stuff i can get by with carrying in is the least amount of stuff that might give me away to their nose. And why carry back and forth time after time things i don't need. Most years if i'm lucky i'll kill 2 nice bucks but might hunt 50 times or more.

Just how i ended up doing it.

I did make a sling my quiver attaches to with a RF pouch and a small bag. That i don't even need the turkey vest.

I did make

·
Registered
MK-XB58 Kraken / Hawke 3-9x50 parallax, mildot
3,802 Posts
2laptops + 1charger
powerbank /w charger
axe
biker rain pants
rainponcho (turned out to be not so water proof so it now covers my bicycle during night)
too tight merinowool shirt
merinowool vest
extension cord with multi outlets
thick wool long underpants
raincoat
water proof gloves
wool gloves
wool halfgloves
3meters bright orange strap
headlamp
camera
4G dongle
mouse
some usb cords and chargers

on 2 molle´s on my bicycle

my tool bag; superglue, ducktape, screwdrivers, tong/sidecutter
slingshot, 2jars of 10mm ammo
some hemp string, bike repair kit, grindin stone

coffee kit; gas burner, ultralightweight cattle and lid that serves as coffee cup
permament filter, coffee

also on bike;

sleeping bag
bivy + ground pad roll
tent
2x3meter tarp which is just too small (had 3x5meters before which is too large)

mora, compass and mp3 player in pockets
food now fits into front basket on bike, also removed bivy/ground pad from backpack
still missin 2nd pair of wool socks

things i havent used or needed yet: superglue, bike repair kit, water proof gloves, orange strap,
wool pants

prolly missed thing or few

its 18th day on a road

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
2laptops + 1charger
powerbank /w charger
axe
biker rain pants
rainponcho (turned out to be not so water proof so it now covers my bicycle during night)
too tight merinowool shirt
merinowool vest
extension cord with multi outlets
thick wool long underpants
raincoat
water proof gloves
wool gloves
wool halfgloves
3meters bright orange strap
headlamp
camera
4G dongle
mouse
some usb cords and chargers

on 2 molle´s on my bicycle

my tool bag; superglue, ducktape, screwdrivers, tong/sidecutter
slingshot, 2jars of 10mm ammo
some hemp string, bike repair kit, grindin stone

coffee kit; gas burner, ultralightweight cattle and lid that serves as coffee cup
permament filter, coffee

also on bike;

sleeping bag
bivy + ground pad roll
tent
2x3meter tarp which is just too small (had 3x5meters before which is too large)

mora, compass and mp3 player in pockets
food now fits into front basket on bike, also removed bivy/ground pad from backpack
still missin 2nd pair of wool socks

things i havent used or needed yet: superglue, bike repair kit, water proof gloves, orange strap,
wool pants

prolly missed thing or few
Winter is coming soon! it gets really cold with those gear..🤔

·
Registered
MK-XB58 Kraken / Hawke 3-9x50 parallax, mildot
3,802 Posts
Winter is coming soon! it gets really cold with those gear..🤔
nope, im fairly sure i got that covered, altho this merinowool jacket is crap, it lets wind through, so i either need to get new jacket or use my raincoat

forgot this from the gear list

Office supplies Font Rectangle Tool Office instrument

and toilet paper

remember ive spend two winters in woods, so i know what to expect

·
Registered
TenPoint Turbo S1 / Burris Oracle X
2,119 Posts
Hmmmmm let’s see
Vortex Bino’s
Bushnell rangefinder
Powder wind checker
Scent killer
Black rattling antlers
Pulsar Axiom hand held thermal monocular
Quiver and arrows
Grunt tube
Knives
Doc’s deer handle

I know I’m forgetting something. Oh and my pack is a Fieldline tactical in desert tan. Been using it for years.

·
Registered
Centerpoint Sniper 370
154 Posts
Rangefinder w/ extra batteries
Kill kit w/ a pen and transport tags
Spare Havalon blades
Headlamp
Face mask
Gear strap
Spare batteries
Phone charger
Bow hoist
Grunt tube
Bleat can
Binoculars
TP for tracking and #2
Baby wipes for blood and #2
Snacks

Got some Nose Jammer on clearance to try.

I think that covers most of it. I have an XOP Striker pack that has lots of pockets and a large interior compartment. But I also have a Fanny pack and a small pouch attached to my hang on if I’m not going far and want to stay light.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts