Crossbow Nation banner
41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
What are blood trailing glasses? I use a uv flashlight.
Glasses that help a color blind person see blood better. They do help but my color seeing friends still do better. I bought the thermal for the same reason…hopefully help with recoveries.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
559 Posts
Glasses that help a color blind person see blood better. They do help but my color seeing friends still do better. I bought the thermal for the same reason…hopefully help with recoveries.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have tried everything I could find to help follow blood trails. UV works good on urine, but not blood. cool white or neutral white works, and might work better but for the physics involved and what any prismatic refraction which is almost impossible to eliminate and very handily defeats any hope of a specific light temperature of being useful. Different filters or "masks" can help a little at times. The best I have found is a focusing light in bright white with the ability to put enough light on the ground. a couple options for light output combined with the focus ability can keep you just below the fry your night vision level, and show you what is there. Any focus capability in an LED light though of necessity means you are running your light beam through a prism and that destroys any ability of a specific light temperature to help you. When you have to be down on hands and knees searching for tiny little specks of blood it doesn't take much light output to fry your night vision though and that can make things just plain hard sometimes.

There are for sure times I find it better to be looking for tracks than blood. There are other times when they just don't bleed period, and starting the grid search sooner rather than later is better. That's why I always use a lighted nock. If I know that the arrow went through where I wanted it to I pretty well know that Bambi will be within 200 yards of me. Just about any clue as to which direction it went then makes the area smaller to grid search

·
Registered
Excalibur Micro 355 Suppressor
336 Posts
Item #1....Toliet Paper!!(y) Comes in handy more ways than one!! 🤣
Rtic water bottle.
Nikon Rangefinder.
Burris Binos.
Cleaning gloves.
Rechargeable flashlight.
Small saw and extra knives.
Zip ties.
Small medic kit.
Camo face net and camo gloves (lightweight).
EverCalm scents.
Pen.
Rope cocker.
Extra bow string and stringing aid.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Interesting, 45 responses, one fire starter. I understand this is crossbow pack, I understand much of bow season is hot. I'm hunting or working hounds about year round. From fanny pack day pack or overnighter, they all have flint and tinder, plus a Bic in my pocket. The Bic lighter is also in my opinion the best wind check, minus the slight noise.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
508 Posts
I have tried everything I could find to help follow blood trails. UV works good on urine, but not blood. cool white or neutral white works, and might work better but for the physics involved and what any prismatic refraction which is almost impossible to eliminate and very handily defeats any hope of a specific light temperature of being useful. Different filters or "masks" can help a little at times. The best I have found is a focusing light in bright white with the ability to put enough light on the ground. a couple options for light output combined with the focus ability can keep you just below the fry your night vision level, and show you what is there. Any focus capability in an LED light though of necessity means you are running your light beam through a prism and that destroys any ability of a specific light temperature to help you. When you have to be down on hands and knees searching for tiny little specks of blood it doesn't take much light output to fry your night vision though and that can make things just plain hard sometimes.

There are for sure times I find it better to be looking for tracks than blood. There are other times when they just don't bleed period, and starting the grid search sooner rather than later is better. That's why I always use a lighted nock. If I know that the arrow went through where I wanted it to I pretty well know that Bambi will be within 200 yards of me. Just about any clue as to which direction it went then makes the area smaller to grid search
In my experience, given a choice, a deer that has been shot will go downhill. I track blood. First tag filled recently had no problem tacking blood trail 30 yards to a creek bottom.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Depends on where I’m hunting.

But these are the must have items
1) T paper DONT leave home without it
2) Knife
3) Charger crank
4) Range finder / Steiner Binos
5) head net
6) Extra gloves
7) Grunt call
8) Water
9) Cell phone
10) mini first aid kit with tourniquet
11) handgun if it’s not on me it’s in my pack
12) Poncho or rain gear

I do keep extra clothes arrows strings and boots in the truck if needed. Or I’ll add extra stuff depending on where and how long I’m hunting if out of state that’s totally different.

·
Registered
Mission Sub One series
1,855 Posts
I kill more Bambis when I am clean shaven?

It is a much better trail marker than toilet paper. Much whiter, much easier to stick on a weed tip, much easier to stick on the side of a tree and stays put on even smooth bark trees. Lasts long enough but vanishes in any rain. If you use menthol the deer like the smell. The generic is cheap and stays working for years. And even in the worst of the covid pandemic I never heard of anyone hoarding shaving cream.

Turn around and hit a line of blobs in a field even in wind and hit it with a bright white LED light in the night and the line of travel stands out like it's a line of lights.
... interesting... never heard of that before...sounds like a good idea 👍

·
Registered
648 Posts
I have used a turkey vest for decades even though my original reason for using one has disappeared. Back in the days of wearing a back tag on your jacket, I kept my back tag on my turkey vest. I almost never wear a jacket while walking into a stand. A turkey vest just made sense to me. As the weather changed throughout the fall, I would just carry in a lighter or heavier jacket. The jacket itself would be shoved in the game bag of the vest, but my back tag would still be on display walking in or out of the woods despite whatever jacket I used that night.

Although back tags have disappeared in Wisconsin, I still find myself using my turkey vest.

My small pockets for turkey mouth calls hold my SD cards for my trail cameras.
My long turkey box call pocket holds my favorite Woods Wise Buc-n-Doe call. It's the one call I never leave the house without.
The seat of the turkey vest works well on my older hang on stands that lack a cushion seat.
My right pocket always has my release & light pair of gloves. My left pocket has my cell phone & small pocket Bible.
Inside mess pocket holds my face netting & beanie. Other inside pocket holds my bow holster that I attach to my climbing harness. I never hunt without it. One zip up pocket holds things like tissue paper (toilet paper), paper copy of my tags, all kept dry inside a zip lock bag. Another zip up pocket holds an extra pair of readers, a small flashlight, and my folding hunting knife.
A pocket for turkey pot calls holds a pair of plastic gutting gloves and my EverCalm stink stick dispenser.
An extra bow holder and dragging rope are in the bottom of my game bag. I also throw a water bottle in there at times.

Like I said before, I liked a turkey vest because I could change jackets on any given day & know my back tag was on my vest. Most of all, I find a vest easy to double check things. I can just pat my chest & know that I have everything I want with ease. I know where everything is quite well, I could do it in the dark with ease. If I forget to reload my vest with blank SD cards, I know that in an instant by just touching those small pockets for example.

I went out for the first time tonight. I didn't forget a thing! I was even a bit surprised by that!!!! :)

I tend to read the Gospel of John at the start of every bow season. It's something I have done for a very long time. It's a good reminder of God's love for us! Thus, I got a number of chapters read tonight before enjoying the rest of the evening in the woods. Several loud snorts and a tail in the distance means I lost round one tonight, but I could care less. It was just good to be out in the woods hunting again!

·
14,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Interesting, 45 responses, one fire starter. I understand this is crossbow pack, I understand much of bow season is hot. I'm hunting or working hounds about year round. From fanny pack day pack or overnighter, they all have flint and tinder, plus a Bic in my pocket. The Bic lighter is also in my opinion the best wind check, minus the slight noise.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Yeah, fire ... waterproof matches, premium exotic lighters and methods of starting a fire gradually disappeared from my backpack over the years. Lighters went empty, matches were never used. Then a few years ago I was dropped off with my gear on the end of a peninsula sticking out into the Atlantic Ocean through a very short window at low tide to kill deer. I could only be loaded back out when low tide reoccurred. I was well prepared for a long sit, but during that time it occurred to me if anything happened that prevented my pick up, I might be out there for a long time. It might be nice to start a fire. Now, matches have worked their way back into my backpack. :)

Same thing with my compass. The compass also comes in handy for determining with way your stand actually faces so you can accurately predict where the wind is coming from, where to engage targets, and how it effects your field of fire.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My setup for bow season- BackPack Check List- Bow Pack_Lst

Pack Contents:
Left - Top:
Garbage Bag
Space Blanket
Poncho
- Bottom
Mini Mag
String
Gutting Gloves
Lighter
Toilet Paper
Bag w/ Nails
Matches
Sharpner
Tape
Extra Tree Stand Bolts
Candle
Twist Ties

Right - Top:
Field Glasses:
- Bottom
Hatchet or saw
Wyoming Knife

Rear:
Deer Lures
Haul Lines

Main:
Cable & Lock
Safety Belt or harness
Grunt calls
Extra Gloves
Zip Lock Bag:
Handwarmer
Horns
Drink
Apple
Rangefinder
Bow holder(s)
Bolt drill
Seat setup

·
Registered
14 Posts
I’ll use a small backpack when it’s warm, bigger one when it’s cooler so I can pack a jacket easier and have room for warm gloves. I like the field and stream packs Walmart used to sell- lots of compartments and it’s a quiet pack.

I have tp, a few feet of marking tape to mark blood, reading glasses, bag has a water bladder compartment- I find that easier than using a bottle, 20’ paracord bc you never know if your haul rope is damaged or missing, face mask, thermacell when bugs are out, range finder, 10x42 binos, gloves, extra scope batteries, small nite ize carabiner for stand cushion and attach to haul rope, grunt call and bleat can, I keep 3 niteize gear ties - they can wrap around bar of stand to make a nice hanger for bino, range finder, grunt, phone battery if an all day hunt, handwarmer, folding saw if at a new spot, folding knife on belt

I have a shoulder pouch in truck with gutting and tracking things- knife, gloves, ziplock bag, marking tape, tracking light and batteries. I’m not that far from truck and I drop the hunting stuff, grab that and the cart, jet sled or quad depending.

·
14,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
My setup for bow season- BackPack Check List- Bow Pack_Lst

Pack Contents:
Left - Top:
Garbage Bag
Space Blanket
Poncho
- Bottom
Mini Mag
String
Gutting Gloves
Lighter
Toilet Paper
Bag w/ Nails
Matches
Sharpner
Tape
Extra Tree Stand Bolts
Candle
Twist Ties

Right - Top:
Field Glasses:
- Bottom
Hatchet or saw
Wyoming Knife

Rear:
Deer Lures
Haul Lines

Main:
Cable & Lock
Safety Belt or harness
Grunt calls
Extra Gloves
Zip Lock Bag:
Handwarmer
Horns
Drink
Apple
Rangefinder
Bow holder(s)
Bolt drill
Seat setup
Whatza ... "bolt drill?"

Reactions: LonewolfMcquade

·
Premium Member
5,941 Posts
Seeing a lot of TP in those packs! We just pinch that bad boy off clean here in the mountains, LOL. Must be a southern thing.......

·
Registered
508 Posts
Was trying to reduce my carry load. Going to dump the binoculars, shaving cream I just added, and try to pair down to the tarantula and a fanny pack. Have to find a place for the p jug.

Edit going to try twine belt loop thingy to hang p jug.

·
14,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Was trying to reduce my carry load. Going to dump the binoculars, shaving cream I just added, and try to pair down to the tarantula and a fanny pack. Have to find a place for the p jug.
I haven't ... carried binoculars in 10 years. There's the 9x - 15xscope or 7x rangefinder.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts