Crossbow Nation banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
7,049 Posts
The XTR is Crank Compatible..not so shure about the XP405..but looks like the Regular XP series would work on it...?
If you check the Post #16 that "Huntersthompson" shows which is the same on the "Features" section
for that XP405 crossbow on Barnett's website, it is crank cocking compatible.

For crossbows using high draw weight limbs and large cams with the wide off set axles, it is pretty hard to rope cock
when nearing the fully cocked position. This works similar to a vertical bow. Once over the hump then it becomes easier
to cock and has a higher percentage of let off.

My preference is to modify the butt stock to accept the following crank cocking device. With care, the crossbow can be decocked
using this device. One can stop any where in the cranking, remove your hand or if ones hand came off the handle, there is
no chance of a dry fire or an injury due to a back spin. A new version has a groove in the shaft of the drum. Installing the handle,
one can adjust an Allen set screw so the handle will stay on the drum shaft. The handle will work on either side.
The picture I show is the older version. The new version has an orange handle. Depending where one purchases either device,
the hooks may face up or down. Some crossbows have labels on the rail-stock stating to install the hooks facing down.
Auto part Rim Machine Metal Automotive exterior

Removing one end of the cord, the hooks can be flipped over. I have modified several of my crossbows including different
brands to accept this system. It is much safer than what Barnett was using. For the extendable stock, the + of this device
must line up dead center of the tube. Some, I have removed the original butt plate and replaced with 3/4" oak. Oak is a
hard wood and with care it will not chip or splinter.

Some crank cocking devices have a clamp bracket that encircles the extendable tube. This results in one losing part of the
tube where the butt stock can not be fully collapsed which a shorter arm person may require.

Wishing you all the best.
Take care.

·
Registered
7,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The XTR is Crank Compatible..not so shure about the XP405..but looks like the Regular XP series would work on it...?
I'd think the Raptor Pro STR or Whitetail Hunter Pro series style CCD should work on this Flight Rail Stock. Also, it's inline with the flight rail. That's my guess.

Reactions: JCAT

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Barnett continues with great price point Xbows. This is now on my radar!

A complete crossbow package including a side mount quiver, 2-22” Headhunter arrows, rope cocking sled, lubrication wax, and 4x32mm multi-reticle scope. The crossbow has a 10” narrow riser design, anti-dry fire trigger system, pass-through foregrip, metal injection molded trigger, finger safety reminders, and three Picatinny rails. Weighs 6.5 lbs.
  • New 10" narrow riser design
  • TriggerTech 3 lb zero creep frictionless release technology
  • Anti-dry fire trigger system
  • Metal injection molded trigger
  • Soft Lok floating bristle arrow retainer
  • Color: mossy oak bottomland

Dimensions33” x 16.25”
Barnett Crossbows - Axle to Axle (in)10"
Barnett Crossbows - Draw Weight (lbs)205 lbs.
Barnett Crossbows - Kinetic Energy (ft lbs)135 ft. lbs.
Barnett Crossbows - Power Stroke (in)13.4"
Barnett Crossbows - Speed (fps)*400
Trigger TypeTriggerTech

If you look at picts of the older whitetail models you will see that this stock is much sturdier . the center brace is a good add and will prevent twisting.

·
Registered
7,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
If you look at picts of the older whitetail models you will see that this stock is much sturdier . the center brace is a good add and will prevent twisting.
If I get a CCD this is my direction. It’s universal on that flight rail stock.

·
Registered
7,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Okay, just confirmed. Universal CCD on this Xbow. It's inline with the flight rail.

·
Registered
7,049 Posts
The problems with Barnett's crank cocking device:
1)the crank has to stay on.
2)the crank has to be positioned such that it does not block the safety ratchet
switch when backing off to remove the sled after the crossbow is cocked.

The cranking device on some of the earlier Barnett crossbows, the bushing in
the stock was too narrow and let the crank wobble when crank cocking the crossbow.

Some crossbow stocks were machined to narrow for the cover plate to be installed
on the left side if the crank was used on the right hand side.

Too much dipping or coating which made for rounded corners where the ratchet
safety switch would not fit properly.

Trying to hold the crossbow, hold the crank to relieve pressure and reset the safety
ratchet switch when removing the sled after the crossbow is cocked is a very dangerous
situation.

My Barnett crossbow stock butt ends are modified to use the plug in crank cocking
device which once the crossbow is cocked this device can be removed.

Take care.

·
Registered
7,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Bunnyrabbit, Your "Point One" may need more clarity. From what I see you instal the CCD into the rail stock. I see it as a potential value add. You can remove the handle at anytime after cocking the Xbow with the CCD installed in the frame. You may have other valid points but I'll know soon enough because I plan to purchase one soon.

Plan to setup similarly to my XP400. I'll be adding a red dot and sighing in at 33 yards. I anticipate minor adjustments and tweaks. Maybe I'll be surprised. Doubt it. :p To be continued.

·
Registered
7,049 Posts
Bunnyrabbit, Your "Point One" may need more clarity. From what I see you instal the CCD into the rail stock. I see it as a potential value add. You can remove the handle at anytime after cocking the Xbow with the CCD installed in the frame. You may have other valid points but I'll know soon enough because I plan to purchase one soon.

Plan to setup similarly to my XP400. I'll be adding a red dot and sighing in at 33 yards. I anticipate minor adjustments and tweaks. Maybe I'll be surprised. Doubt it. :p To be continued.
Unless Barnett has changed how the crank fastens, it will have to stay on.
The original has a large knurled bolt, that must remain tight. If not tight, one
can get seriously injured when either cocking the crossbow or backing off
to remove the sled.
Some cranks have two pins with heads, One inserts these in the proper holes
and turns the crank a wee bit to lock them in. With this set up, the crank can be
removed. Whether this system would work on a Barnett, I do not know.

The last newer version I have which I modified the Barnett butt stock for has a
groove on each end of the drum shaft. The handle has an Allen screw that when
the handle is installed, one snugs up the Allen screw which fits into the groove in
the shaft and the handle will not come off.

Take care.

·
Registered
7,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I just purchased this Xbow as a combo with the Barnett CCD. I'll share more details when I get it delivered early next week.

Reactions: Go-ahead-doubledown

·
Registered
7,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I'll put it through a torture test. :p

Reactions: archer36

·
Registered
7,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Just got a UPS update. My Whitetail Hunter 400XTR should be delivered tomorrow end of day. Should have the weekend to test it out.

Will contrast with my Barnett XP400. Main focus will be the risers and limbs.

Reactions: Wapster

·
Registered
7,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Whitetail Hunter 400XTR came in tonight.
Typical Barnett fit and finish with string stops.
First impressions: On same level as the XP400. Feels lite in my arms.
Riser is very solid, metal material and noticeably narrower. 2" less is noticeable. "That's what she said".
Cams are the same size as XP400
Typical Halo multi line (reticle) scope.
String stops same as XP400. Adjustment required moving forward. There is 1/4" gap between string stops and bow string. Easy fix.
Foot Stirrup is noticeably shorter then XP400 or similar models.
Strings and cables: OEM build looks to be better then XP400. I'll shoot these until strings needs to be replace.
Bowstring has a noticeable hump. Zip Tie shims fixed that immediately! Yep, Bunnyrabbit legacy fix. :cool:
I'm 99% certain my 20" 9MM Arrows will fit on this rail. See attached pic.
The manual Rope Cocker has a sled.
2, 22" Head hunter arrows. Arrow weight, 300grains without field tips.
Come with CCD but has not installed.
To be continued:
Install Barnett CCD
Chrono Shooting speeds.
Sig Saur Romeo5 Red Dot has been ordered. Will sight in at 33 yards.

Air gun Machine gun Trigger Gun barrel Font

Luggage and bags Product Automotive design Bag Automotive exterior

Musical instrument Reed instrument Wind instrument Woodwind instrument Metal

Bicycle tire Automotive tire Crankset Asphalt Tire

·
Registered
7,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
This Xbow needs minor tweaks and it's going to be a good shooter once I adjust to narrow limbs. I trust TS/XP limbs more then any Xbow I've owned. That's mean all of them. If Barnett uses same manufacture for WH 400XRT this is gonna be a legit Xbows. Gotta shoot it to prove it.

To be continued.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Riser is very solid, metal material and noticeably narrower. 2" less is noticeable. "That's what she said".
String stops same as XP400. Adjustment required moving forward. There is 1/4" gap between string stops and bow string. Easy fix.
Strings and cables: OEM build looks to be better then XP400. I'll shoot these until strings needs to be replace.
Bowstring has a noticeable hump. Zip Tie shims fixed that immediately! Yep, Bunnyrabbit legacy fix. :cool:
To be continued:
Install Barnett CCD
Chrono Shooting speeds.
Sig Saur Romeo5 Red Dot has been ordered. Will sight in
To be continued:
Install Barnett CCD
Chrono Shooting speeds.
Sig Saur Romeo5 Red Dot has been ordered. Will sight in at 33 yards.

View attachment 224266
View attachment 224267
View attachment 224265
View attachment 224264
Yea I thought the 20s would work now you make me want one

21 - 40 of 60 Posts