Crossbow Nation banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
4,943 Posts
Looks interesting Tom. Riser looks robust. Guessing it’s cast magnesium? Does it feel any more front heavy? Limbs look shorter and probably stiffer. Hope they have the same durability as the TS and XP that you have seen.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Solid looking rear stock. Liked the way they beefed it up. 2 inches narrower at 10 is right about the cutoff of where too narrow starts causing string wear problems. Pretty much perfect imo. Let the testing begin.

·
Registered
7,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Looks interesting Tom. Riser looks robust. Guessing it’s cast magnesium? Does it feel any more front heavy? Limbs look shorter and probably stiffer. Hope they have the same durability as the TS and XP that you have seen.
Joe Pa, I have one very big obstacle today. Yea, honey do's and making progress. ;) All the tweaks are very simple fixes. Damn, Barnett just do it right out of the box. It's not going to cost you anymore to do this. Okay, off my soap box. LOL.

Riser: I am guessing riser is made of magnesium.

Shouldering the WH400XTR feels balance to me. I rate as spot on. Xbow doesn't feel front heavy or heavy at all. Specs are 6.5lbs sans scope and quiver. Will weight with scope today when I get a break. Although Stock is not adjustable it feels really good shouldering on my 6'1" frame.

String Stops: I'm going to pack cotton inside the stops to adjust string stops closer to the bowstring. HunterT, thanks for the suggestion. May spot glue to secure but not so much I can't remove in for future. Vertically, string is pretty close to center on the stops. No adjustment needed there. Will revisit to double check.

Zip tie shims have easily leveled the bow string on the shooting rail.

The CCD is set into the rear butt stock area if one desires to add one. The bundle I purchased comes with the CCD. I probably will mount. It's not heavy at all and the handle is removable.

I expect to shoot my 20" Easton 9MM, 433 grain arrows 380-385fps. Maybe slightly slower. Just a guess on my end. Since I have lots of history with Barnett I can advance cams in my sleep. Will chrono today. Also, I will inspect cams for cam lean. Barnett uses their tried and true "Y" yoke cable setup.

One important assembly note. Xbow was built/inspected 12/21/2021. When the zip tied their promotion riser overlay Barnett assembler tightened the zip tie way to tight onto the bowstring. Gotta be very careful cutting the zip tie and not the bow string. Yikes! :eek:

The manual rope cocker sled must be built out of same magnesium/ metal. It's quite heavy vs injected molded plastic.

Anymore question fire away.

Audio equipment Gas Office equipment Metal Cameras & optics

Measuring instrument Gadget Electronic device Rectangle Font

Bicycle handlebar Bicycle part Bicycle tire Font Machine

Reactions: JOE PA

·
Registered
7,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Tom does the front of the arrow rise up when its cocked that was the problem with raptor fx3 pro
James, will check arrow flatness on the rail when I chrono later today. To be continued.

·
Registered
7,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Joe Pa, I have one very big obstacle today. Yea, honey do's and making progress. ;) All the tweaks are very simple fixes. Damn, Barnett just do it right out of the box. It's not going to cost you anymore to do this. Okay, off my soap box. LOL.

Riser: I am guessing riser is made of magnesium.

Shouldering the WH400XTR feels balance to me. I rate as spot on. Xbow doesn't feel front heavy or heavy at all. Specs are 6.5lbs sans scope and quiver. Will weight with scope today when I get a break. Although Stock is not adjustable it feels really good shouldering on my 6'1" frame.

String Stops: I'm going to pack cotton inside the stops to adjust string stops closer to the bowstring. HunterT, thanks for the suggestion. May spot glue to secure but not so much I can't remove in for future. Vertically, string is pretty close to center on the stops. No adjustment needed there. Will revisit to double check.

Zip tie shims have easily leveled the bow string on the shooting rail.

The CCD is set into the rear butt stock area if one desires to add one. The bundle I purchased comes with the CCD. I probably will mount. It's not heavy at all and the handle is removable.

I expect to shoot my 20" Easton 9MM, 433 grain arrows 380-385fps. Maybe slightly slower. Just a guess on my end. Since I have lots of history with Barnett I can advance cams in my sleep. Will chrono today. Also, I will inspect cams for cam lean. Barnett uses their tried and true "Y" yoke cable setup.

One important assembly note. Xbow was built/inspected 12/21/2021. When the zip tied their promotion riser overlay Barnett assembler tightened the zip tie way to tight onto the bowstring. Gotta be very careful cutting the zip tie and not the bow string. Yikes! :eek:

The manual rope cocker sled must be built out of same magnesium/ metal. It's quite heavy vs injected molded plastic.

Anymore question fire away.

View attachment 224295
View attachment 224296
View attachment 224297
FYI: On my XP400 it originally weight 6.56lbs but I had Burky build a more robust and adjustable string stop. Worth it!

·
Registered
7,049 Posts
In regards to zip ties, with care they can be unlocked and reused.
To do this, insert a stiff pin between the teeth of the tie and the body
and carefully unzip. There is a small tooth in the head of the tie that
fits into the grooves of the zip tie. This is where the pin fits to unlock.

Wishing you all the best.
Take care.

·
Registered
7,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 · (Edited)
Chronic Speed: 376 fps, duplicated.
Note: 20" Easton 9mm Arrows fit perfectly. Weight with lighted illuminated nocks: 433.7 grains
Rope Cocking: Xbow is stout to rope cock. I would consider myself above average in strength. If anyone has limitations I'd advise a CCD. I would say this Xbow is a tad harder to rope cock vs TS390. However, doable if one is physically fit. . I would not advise a 50 shot day with a rope cocker. :p

FYI, James: My Easton 20" arrows lay flat on the rail when cocked.

I anticipate with CCD installed with red dot sight, sub 7lb Xbow. To be continued.
Motor vehicle Toy Machine gun Machine Grass

Tree Automotive tire Plant Vehicle Gas

Plant Automotive tire Wood Trunk Natural material

Wheel Land vehicle Tire Crankset Vehicle

Camera accessory Sleeve Camera Grey Cameras & optics

Tire Automotive tire Bicycle tire Sports equipment Road surface

·
Registered
7,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
For me 376fps with 433 grain arrow is matched perfectly for my Easton pultruded arrows. Oh hell yea! I may boost speed, advancing cams after 100 shots.

Fit and finish fixes: properly adjust rubber stops forward, packing cotton internally and shimmed the riser with a zip tie to level the bow string. After 100 shots if all things are equal this dog will hunt for 2022.

40 yard shooting next week.

To be continued!

·
Registered
7,049 Posts
The reason the crossbow is hard to cock, if one looks at Post #50, second picture from the bottom.
The axle for the cams is way off center, which requires more effort to get over the hump. With vertical
bows, this works the same but after getting over the hump, the holding weight is reduced.

Crossbows on the other hand, getting over the hump, the crossbow is basically in the cocked position.
My Center Point Sniper 390XT is set up the same way. This is where the narrower crossbows get the
speed. I modified the stock to accept the plug in crank cocking device style which makes for a much
easier cocking.

Take care.

·
Registered
7,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 · (Edited)
Okay, Barnett CCD is installed to OEM specs. It's straight forward. butt caps for the CCD pop out. Very simple. Just follow instructions. It's straight forward. Total weight with CCD weighs in a 7.58lbs including the scope. See lower right hand corner in pic. See digital weight scale. Not bad for a CCD, scope and Xbow total weight.

Now for reality. I'd rate the CCD a 6 out of 10 vs my Ten Point experience. The best I can say it works. That's my initial impression. As I thought you do not need the handle locked on the Xbow. You can screw in and remove anytime you want to use the CCD.

Cranking: with these heavier limbs it's not easy to crank. The only advantage I can see is if you have back issues or other physical limitations. Possibly the CCD will work for you. I can grit it out with rope cocking. It's not that hard but harder then most other Xbows I've rope cocked. Sharing the good bad and ugly.

See pic with scale in lower right on pic.

Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Machine gun Gas

·
Registered
7,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Never tried that before with my fish scale.

·
Registered
7,049 Posts
A few observations I see:
1)mention of hard to rope cock. This is due to the large axle off set in the cam.
2)appears too much machining or too narrow of a stock in order to install the side
cover over the crank spool when the crank system is installed. This is a normal
fault on the newer crossbows.
3)as mentioned, the crank can be removed. Just make sure the knurled bolt is
installed tight when cocking or decocking the crossbow or a severe injury could
happen. When the crossbow is fully cocked, the crank has to be positioned to be
able to disengage the safety ratchet to back off to remove the sled.

Take care.

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
Okay, Barnett CCD is installed to OEM specs. It's straight forward. butt caps for the CCD pop out. Very simple. Just follow instructions. It's straight forward. Total weight with CCD weighs in a 7.58lbs including the scope. See lower right hand corner in pic. See digital weight scale. Not bad for a CCD, scope and Xbow total weight.

Now for reality. I'd rate the CCD a 6 out of 10 vs my Ten Point experience. The best I can say it works. That's my initial impression. As I thought you do not need the handle locked on the Xbow. You can screw in and remove anytime you want to use the CCD.

Cranking: with these heavier limbs it's not easy to crank. The only advantage I can see is if you have back issues or other physical limitations. Possibly the CCD will work for you. I can grit it out with rope cocking. It's not that hard but harder then most other Xbows I've rope cocked. Sharing the good bad and ugly.

See pic with scale in lower right on pic.

View attachment 224381
I think it needs about 1.5 lbs more scope on it.....
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Camera accessory Bumper Gas

Reactions: Go-ahead-doubledown
41 - 60 of 60 Posts