Crossbow Nation banner
21 - 40 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
16,316 Posts
Since I'm now retired I wont be getting Bushnell cameras from reward points anymore. I think I have plenty for now but I'll be looking much closer at the GardePro cams later on for sure.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I received my first GardePro camera today. I only started using trail cameras about 4-5 years ago. The E5 was cheaper than the A3 at the time I ordered it. So that's the one I have. My initial impression of the camera is quite good! My past experience has been Tasco (8MP, 10MP, & 12MP), Browning (Command Ops and Dark Ops models), Wosport Mini, & Campark T20 trail cameras.

Browning - I started with 5 working Browning cameras last season. Two of those still work properly this year, & the issues have been different for the three that aren't working. Browning did replace one of my Dark Ops after sending one back to them. I do want to acknowledge that. I am done with $100+ trail cameras for now.

Tasco - I want to like these cameras, & when they work they are quite good! None of my 8MP & 10MP Tasco trail cameras lasted more than two seasons, & some didn't go beyond one season. I've tried various tricks shared on youtube, but they have all failed. I do have a more current 12MP Tasco out. I am hoping for the best. The 3 biggest knock on the Tasco trail cameras - No pics counter & no battery life indicator, which results in having a blank SD card at times without knowing. If you knew the issue at the camera, you could address it at the time. The third issue is the new 12 MP pics will not open on my Mac laptop. The former models did not have that issue. My Wosport Mini has the exact same set up features & buttons, & it has the same issue. I had to buy a cheap Chromebook to look at the saved pics.

Wosport Mini & Campark T20 have been a more current experiment. I like that these cameras only require 4 - AA batteries. The Wosport Mini is like a smaller version of the Tasco. The only deal breaker I have noticed so far is the information strip on the pics. The letters are quite small & in white. It's very hard to read it on some pics. It's annoying enough to be a bit of deal breaker, which is too bad! The Campark T20 seem decent, but I hate the buttons for set up. It's not intuitive and the power button is in the worst possible spot. It's hard to see & feel once the camera is on the tree. It's really hard to manipulate the power button which is silly. The 6 buttons are very tiny & impossible for me to read with my readers. Once I remember which button is which, it's not terrible. I haven't had the Campark cameras out long enough to comment on pic quality.

So my search for the "Holy Grail" of trail cameras continues. I can honestly say the GardePro E5 has an excellent owner's manual. The quality of the buttons are better than any other trail camera I have owned. My Browning cameras don't even have a view back screen like this camera. Everything seems solid with this camera. Set up was easy & intuitive. It has the best full size SD card slot I have ever seen on a camera. I've already tested a few pics in the house and the pics open on my Mac laptop. The only negative that I have noticed so far is the back of the camera. The back is quite smooth and most other cameras have a surface that grips the trees better. It helps when wedging a stick behind the camera, too. Other than that, I am impressed so far! If I like this camera, I will buy more of them as my other ones become dead!

I plan on slipping the GardePro out in the woods tomorrow. Archery season opens September 17th in Wisconsin.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Don't forget to check for firmware updates as they become available, I updated all of my E5 models recently to the newest version software.
Firmware upgrading – Zopu Digital Technology (zopudt.com)
I can honestly say that I have never done that with any trail camera, but I have watched "The Hunting Farmer" do an update with his GardePro E5. I sort of question why updates would be necessary, but it's nice that they offer them.

I appreciate the reminder. I just checked the camera, & it has the latest version of software. In several ways, I can already tell this camera is a way better value than anything else I have owned so far.

I like keeping things simple. I just want a survey of what's on my property. I don't want to waste my batteries on & SD card space on videos of squirrels, raccoons, coyotes, or a leaf waving nearby. I wish cheaper models that just did pics were available.

The high megapixel number on some cameras these days is a bit of a joke, too. Larger (less) megapixels capture light better. I would never set any camera higher than 8 megapixels. Higher megapixels does not equal better quality pics in most cases. My Campark trail cameras recommended 4 MP for best results, & I noticed the GardePro E5 was factory set at 4 MP. My guess is 4, 6, or 8 MP will outperform the higher settings while using less card memory & improve your night pics.

The new Moultrie Micro 42 is a prime example of this. That camera has the same basic settings/features/buttons as a cheap Walmart Tasco camera, but claims a 42 megapixel. What a joke! You could buy the Wosport MIni for half the price & have the same basic camera. Wosport is just more honest about the pic quality. From what I have seen the set up for the two is identical. Moultrie is trying to pass off a cheap camera with marketing hype & not much more.

This is why I want to move away from brand name cameras. Even if I found a common brand name model that I did like, you can count on it being discontinued and replaced by something else in a year or two. I hate that! Make something good & leave it alone. Sorry for my rant! Trail cameras are great when they work, & annoying when they don't!

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Still like it?
Dale - Haven't got them out yet, more like end of August. I surely will give some reviews shortly after that. As I said earlier, I am quite impressed with my test results, and looking forward to actual use.
Have had the two Guardepro cameras out for about three weeks now. They are working great. Taking tons of clear pictures with exceptionally long detection distances, both day and night. Haven't officially measured the detection range, but would guess about in the 85 to 100 foot range, including flash range. My two Brownings don't even come close in comparison. Not that I am an expert on different cameras, but I would highly recommend the Guardepros.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Have had the two Guardepro cameras out for about three weeks now. They are working great. Taking tons of clear pictures with exceptionally long detection distances, both day and night. Haven't officially measured the detection range, but would guess about in the 85 to 100 foot range, including flash range. My two Brownings don't even come close in comparison. Not that I am an expert on different cameras, but I would highly recommend the Guardepros.
I want to second that! I also checked my new GardePro E5 for the first time yesterday. I changed out SD cards on some of my cameras as I was mowing my trails for the last time this fall. I was very impressed with the pics that were taken by the GardePro. For a "no glow" camera, the night pics are quite impressive. They are much better than my more expensive Browning Dark Ops. I also have deer on camera that are well beyond the trail the camera is pointing at. The deer are so far out past the trail that I almost didn't see them in the far background of the pic. None of my other cameras would detect a deer at that range.

I am done with cheap & overpriced brand name cameras.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Amazon has them on sale right now.
I just ordered two more for $57.68 each (camo & brown models are the same price) with free shipping. They seem to be about $70 most of the time, but I paid about $58 for my first one, too. I've been sort of watching, but I am glad you mentioned it today.

I'm sure the A3 is just as good, but I do like the single large latch of the E5. I bought two, but one might be a Christmas present for my brother. He doesn't have an interest in crossbows. So it is safe to say that! :)

21 - 40 of 89 Posts